Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jun 8, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #136 of 5,933
I agree the IEM package costs way more than what I'd ever anticipate (would've guessed $50-60), but do you guys even know how a gain switch works and what goes into making an IEM have a perfectly silent background? There's a lot more than just switching out the resistive path. Yes, lower gain would make the thing less hissy and less loud, but the fact is that even if you think an X5 or whatever sounds "good" with IEMs, the truth is that the analog circuit in it performs significantly worse with an IEM than it does with a pair of 300 ohm headphones --- the THD+N increases, the IMD increases, etc.

I'm sure most of you would think the Wave sounds "great" even without the IEM mod. Again, I do think the package is priced too high, because I don't think it costs that much to implement an IEM-specific circuit, but the "gain switch" argument is not really valid here.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #137 of 5,933
I'm really growing more and more wary of the ever more creative perks for more $$$...... the femto clock I can still understand, but low gain for more $$$ and better snd for more $$$.. in really don't know about that. I guess I can understand if this is retrofit and involved more cost to mod, but not from a brand new pre order product.

Agreed with kkcc. I was so tempted to back this thing but after seeing those extra perks, my interest has died down completely... It's supposed to be a no-compromise DAP and now to "maximize" the performance with sensitive IEMs an extra USD $128 is needed. Wouldn't a gain switch suffice?

I agree.  I am backed at the 219$ price for the 64. I have contacted them multiple times via IGG, their own forum, and their suggested method of opening a ticket but have not had my question answered.  I originally wanted to move down to the 32 and get the femto upgrade but now I just want to cancel my pledge all together.  I will no longer back anything on IGG.  Since they take the money before hand, it seems companies can care a lot less about what the customer needs.  How are they getting that price increase to tweak the Wave for IEMs? Im over them.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #138 of 5,933
I only paid for the lowest one after hearing a proto board last weekend. Yes, I see all the buy ups but it's turning into a mess IMO. Tyranny of choices. It's like you're afraid to do anything because another perk will pop up that stomps the last one you just picked.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #139 of 5,933
  I agree the IEM package costs way more than what I'd ever anticipate (would've guessed $50-60), but do you guys even know how a gain switch works and what goes into making an IEM have a perfectly silent background? There's a lot more than just switching out the resistive path. Yes, lower gain would make the thing less hissy and less loud, but the fact is that even if you think an X5 or whatever sounds "good" with IEMs, the truth is that the analog circuit in it performs significantly worse with an IEM than it does with a pair of 300 ohm headphones --- the THD+N increases, the IMD increases, etc.

I'm sure most of you would think the Wave sounds "great" even without the IEM mod. Again, I do think the package is priced too high, because I don't think it costs that much to implement an IEM-specific circuit, but the "gain switch" argument is not really valid here.

Hiss is thermal noise and humm is power supply wave noise, and they are picked up because of gain.  All THD specs are well under inaudible range unless being clipped for SS.  Gain is changed so that sensitive headpones not pick up noise.  My CMOY has to high of a gain and you can hear the hiss.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #140 of 5,933
Is the Wave S happening, or should those of us just looking for a battery powered amp look elsewhere?

It will happen soon but not on Indiegogo.  They're moving the Wave S, now called the Wave Stream, back to Kickstarter but that hasn't happened yet.  It should be within the next couple of weeks barring any extenuating circumstances.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #143 of 5,933
So what people are saying is that they find the Geek Wave is "good enough" as it stands, so they just want something with selectable gain so that they can use more volume control with IEMs. Apparently, you guys don't mind if the THD increases from 0.003% to 0.006% from a 600 ohm load to a 32 ohm load, or that the dynamic range may drop from 116 dB to 112 dB (arbitrary numbers, but realistic) when driving IEMs. If so, then there's no need for the IEM perk for you guys. Don't select it. None of us can hear the difference anyway, right? Don't choose the perk if you don't want it. Why complain?

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #145 of 5,933
They have this idea.

Full screen control UI from your smartphone via BT.
(Wave in your pocket, bag or beside you. You control from your smartphone)

Wave has a smaller screen for limited DAP controls.
(Use Wave without your smartphone. Basic controls howerver)

Eliminating the big screen on Wave removes much noise that it creates (Argument of LHlabs) . 

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #146 of 5,933
  They have this idea.

Full screen control UI from your smartphone via BT.
(Wave in your pocket, bag or beside you. You control from your smartphone)

Wave has a smaller screen for limited DAP controls.
(Use Wave without your smartphone. Basic controls howerver)

Eliminating the big screen on Wave removes much noise that it creates (Argument of LHlabs) . 

I wonder if this is EMI noise or thermal noise from the heat given off by the transistors?  Not sure how significant that would be as you just shut off the screen, I think they maybe just scaring audiophiles to milk them. There are plenty of DAPs with big screens, touch screens, etc..  Looking at the options, it's obvious their intentions are to milk audiophiles by targetting key features audiophiles are sensitive to.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #147 of 5,933
Those are some arguments on the GF forum.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #148 of 5,933
They have released their first crowdfunded portable DAC/Amp Geek Out 450, 720 and 1000 (mW).

Once they have fulfilled their pre-orders they will start retail (Amazon maybe)

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #149 of 5,933
So, to perform at audiophile level, I need to buy a perk for use with headphones or I need to buy a perk for use with IEMs/CIEMs

and then, if I need the UI to perform at a decent level, I need to buy a smartphone, too?

I fail to see what on earth the point of this half-baked, incomplete, contraption is.

iBasso must be laughing their arses off. They're providing audiophile performance WITH a (not perfect) but properly usable UI and a respectable screen, and all for $419.

And Fiio are offering a lot of performance, too, for very little money, with their X5.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #150 of 5,933
Interesting review. I wonder how the Geek Wave will perform without the THD or IEM perks.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG29RXxlfc[/video]

And since the Wave directly addresses that it's better than an iPod, it will be interesting to see how it compares objectively to the Touch 5G.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back