Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #872 of 2,322

I guess it was the volume issue that turned you off the Geek Out?

I like my Geek Out. It doesn't compete with my expensive set up but it's fantastic for a quick fix on the go. 

I also think thought (notice past tense) that maybe the volume issue was being blown out of proportion. I got nailed by the full blast volume once or twice before and I thought it was no biggie; I'll just be careful. 

However, today I was trying to get work done and I needed something to relax me and I put on my IEMs without realizing the volume was automaxed yet again and I got a real jolt when the sound blasted my ears. It was then that I felt that this issue is starting to eat into my enjoyment of what would otherwise be an excellent product that I enjoy using. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #873 of 2,322
  I guess it was the volume issue that turned you off the Geek Out?

Yes. I was careful and still got my ears blasted out.

LH has been way too busy crowdfunding two other products to ensure the first one, not even out the door, worked properly. Sure, they made a ton of money that way, but I can't say I'm impressed by this company's ethics.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #874 of 2,322
I got a couple of blast from GO 450, almost blown up my DN-2000.
But now after knowing it's behaviour, I can use it safely.
It's a shame until now Light Harmonic haven't come up with a patch to fix this Blasting Ear Drum bug.

I prefer the GO for headphones rather than IEMs.  For IEMs, I stick with DACport and Dragonfly, sounds cleaner with bigger sound stage.

But for my planar, Hfiman HE5-LE, GO 450 performs very well, frankly I'm quite impressed with GO 450 driving HE5-LE.  GO surprisingly manage to drive HE5-LE quite well.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #876 of 2,322

I got a GO 1000, thinking it'd work with headphones and IEMs both. I most often use the latter, though, and all my headphones are currently in transit after an international move, anyway. So imagine the blast I took.

basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #879 of 2,322
I still get the volume blast as well, try to be careful, occasionally forget, it can be quite uncomfortable, even with full size headphones. The other issue I haven't figured out yet is how to get my powered speakers back in use-since connecting the GO1k, no sound out of them, even when I disconnect the Geek, I can listen to YouTube, but only when I disconnect the GO and plug headphones into the PC, otherwise anything with sound from my web browser is silent. Likely some sort of settings issue, but don't know how to fix. Frustrating. I agree they had 10 products to launch and haven't tended to the initial release as I think they should have (having pre sold the later offerings takes some of the pressure off...if there was this much bad feedback about the 1st product a company produced, the next one released would have a hard time attracting more customers likely, once they read about the initial complaints. Not an issue, as Wave and Pulse are fully subscribed. Hope they will get it together, won't carry them forever, especially with other products coming along to compete.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #880 of 2,322
I just don't touch the volume buttons on the GO. And I am done.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #881 of 2,322
I just don't touch the volume buttons on the GO. And I am done.

I observed, the volume buttons operate the digital volume, not the analog attenuator.

Any idea what is the consideration for the digital volume and not the analog volume?

While the windows volume fader operates the analog attenuator.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #882 of 2,322
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #883 of 2,322
Jul 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #885 of 2,322
I still get the volume blast as well, try to be careful, occasionally forget, it can be quite uncomfortable, even with full size headphones. The other issue I haven't figured out yet is how to get my powered speakers back in use-since connecting the GO1k, no sound out of them, even when I disconnect the Geek, I can listen to YouTube, but only when I disconnect the GO and plug headphones into the PC, otherwise anything with sound from my web browser is silent. Likely some sort of settings issue, but don't know how to fix. Frustrating. I agree they had 10 products to launch and haven't tended to the initial release as I think they should have (having pre sold the later offerings takes some of the pressure off...if there was this much bad feedback about the 1st product a company produced, the next one released would have a hard time attracting more customers likely, once they read about the initial complaints. Not an issue, as Wave and Pulse are fully subscribed. Hope they will get it together, won't carry them forever, especially with other products coming along to compete.

Are you having trouble getting sound from your browser, but other music player apps work fine? Are you using Chrome? I'm having issue with Chrome as well , but other browsers (Firefox, Safari) are OK. Try check out my post in Geek Force forum: http://lhlabs.com/force/beta/1022-no-sound-from-google-chrome.html

You just need to set your sampling rate to anything below 352.8kHz or 384kHz. Somehow Chrome is not able to play sound at that sample rate.

Hope that helps. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back