Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #856 of 2,322
Interesting. I tend to listen to music at very low volume levels with isolating headphones/earphones and I still noticed the background noise with my unit (it wasn't as loud, but it was still there).

Maybe yours has higher than 3 mV noise floor.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #857 of 2,322

Barely, unless I crank it...What is the point of that? I don't listen at that level ever so it is not a problem.

This is the first time i hear hiss noise from a small portable DAC. I expect GO to have at least to have the same low noise performance as other DACs.
But you're right. When the music started, it doesn't matter.

Interesting. I tend to listen to music at very low volume levels with isolating headphones/earphones and I still noticed the background noise with my unit (it wasn't as loud, but it was still there).

I have never had that experience with the GO1000.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #859 of 2,322
Oh you're having noise issues with the GO 450 too? I sent mine back to Light Harmonic thinking it was defective....apparently a handful of people are complaining about the high noise floor with sensitive headphones and earphones. >.>

What is defined as sensitive earphones? I also have a GO 450 but I don't hear any hiss or noise at all via my Sennheiser MX 985 earbuds (but perhaps these are not classified as sensitive).

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #861 of 2,322

What is defined as sensitive earphones? I also have a GO 450 but I don't hear any hiss or noise at all via my Sennheiser MX 985 earbuds (but perhaps these are not classified as sensitive).

Good question!
I think IEM that would let us hear the noise floor of GO 450, is the definition of sensitive earphones 
tongue_smile.gif

Just kidding 
wink_face.gif

Noise floor most of the time would be heard as 'hiss' noise, high frequency noise. Some IEMs are soft on the treble, so less sensitive to high frequency noise.
Official definition of sensitive IEM would be, IEM that require very little power or voltage swing to produce sufficient loudness.  Or higher dB per mV.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #862 of 2,322
Oh you're having noise issues with the GO 450 too? I sent mine back to Light Harmonic thinking it was defective....apparently a handful of people are complaining about the high noise floor with sensitive headphones and earphones. >.>

I heard it with my V-MODA Crossfade M-100 (36 Ω impedance at 1 kHz, 0.03 mW needed to get to 90 dB SPL), Sennheiser CX300-B (now discontinued, so I don't know the exact specifications for this; for the CX300 II Sennheiser rates it at 16 Ω, 113 dB SPL/mW), Shure SE215-CL (18 Ω impedance at 1 kHz, 0.06 mW needed to get to 90 dB SPL), and JLab J5 in-ear earphone (rated at 16 Ω, 92 +/-3dB).

Nothing too fancy at all; no funky balanced armature earphones either. One could classify my earphones as "consumer grade" rather than what an "audiophile" would consider and yet I heard the hissing without much effort.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #864 of 2,322
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts about the GO...I've tried to skim through this thread to gauge which GO would be best with the LCD 2's and just want to get a clear answer from some of you who have experience with that combo:

1. Which version of the GO are you using with your LCD 2's: 450mW, 720mW or the 1000mW? I'm curious to see if I can get away with maybe a 720mW version for instance since it's a little cheaper than the 1000..

2. These volume issues with the unit have me worried/concerned but if I'm correct, they only pertain to those using Macs right?

Thanks for your help!

Oh! Also, is there a 30 day trial period with the Geek out?? Can't seem to find that info on their site. Or what their warranty is..

I just finished demoing an iDSD but found it lacking in power with my LCD 2's..

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #866 of 2,322
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts about the GO...I've tried to skim through this thread to gauge which GO would be best with the LCD 2's and just want to get a clear answer from some of you who have experience with that combo:

1. Which version of the GO are you using with your LCD 2's: 450mW, 720mW or the 1000mW? I'm curious to see if I can get away with maybe a 720mW version for instance since it's a little cheaper than the 1000..

2. These volume issues with the unit have me worried/concerned but if I'm correct, they only pertain to those using Macs right?

Thanks for your help!

Oh! Also, is there a 30 day trial period with the Geek out?? Can't seem to find that info on their site. Or what their warranty is..

I just finished demoing an iDSD but found it lacking in power with my LCD 2's..

GO 720 should be fine with the LCD-2 for the most part, unless you plan to listen to very dynamic music at loud listening levels (in which the GO 1000 would probably be better).

As mentioned above, the volume issues are with Windows. In OS X the volume control is pretty straight-forward.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #867 of 2,322
Oh geeeez I don't know how I figured the volume issues were Mac related....wishful thinking probably since I'm a PC guy right now. Sort of hard to invest in a product that has a pretty big glaring issue, sound quality aside..

If/when I decide to purchase it I might just try the 720 version first....but I do still need to be clear on their return policy cuz I'd hate to be stuck with the unit if I didn't feel it had enough power.

Thanks for your help :)

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #868 of 2,322
  Oh geeeez I don't know how I figured the volume issues were Mac related....wishful thinking probably since I'm a PC guy right now. Sort of hard to invest in a product that has a pretty big glaring issue, sound quality aside..

Word. I used mine ONCE. Since then, it's been a shiny paperweight on my desk. I'm back to using the (excellent) DACport.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #869 of 2,322

Word. I used mine ONCE. Since then, it's been a shiny paperweight on my desk. I'm back to using the (excellent) DACport.

+1
After almost 1 month with GO 450, I keep going back to use my DACport. My GO 450 somehow lacking musicality. Powerful, detailed, but a bit too sterile to my ears. And it doesn't have the 3D imaging and spaciousness of DACport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back