Life after Yggdrasil?
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #1,247 of 1,366
well chord TT i never looked back.

Nov 22, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #1,250 of 1,366
Why not the Dave ? Look further :D and don’t look back

Yes, be careful out there guys - as you never really know what is around that bend - straight ahead! :ksc75smile:

And never-ever look up - especially when a pigeon is flying overhead?

ihvxZex.gif

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,251 of 1,366
Come to think of it, IDK if tube rolling is a thing for me, looks like I can end up doing a lot of experimantation and spend some money on the tubes, something like the bendix is quite expensive, which adds up to the total cost for the DAC.
I'm not sure I have the time for this, and even if I do, IDK if I will use it to do some research for tubes instead of doing other more important things.

Hows the mids in the Gumby compared to Yggy and other DACs in Gumby's price range? I heard some people say that it has a slight haziness to it, I like clear immediate mids, which is why I like my Utopia a lot, so don't want to hazy it up.

The MHDT DAC's are apparently warmer in presentation compared to the Gumby.

Mids of the GUmby are more 'euphoric' than the Ygg, It has general sense of warmth when compared to Ygyy.The background of Gumby is slightly grey-er than Yggy, which sometimes makes well recordered music sound slightly hazier, but that is compared directly to the Yggy side to side. I would not notice it at all if I had the Gumby alone. The ygg tends to be rather fatiguing after a long listening session, so a tube amp with a darker tilt will be more synergistic. Gumby with utopia will not have hazy mids in my experience
If I have to be honest, I would take Gumby over Yggy. The musical mids and the larger, etherial soundstage of the Gumby just makes music more enjoyable. After all, music is about enjoyment, not clamoring to find the most minute details.

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,252 of 1,366
I would not call the Yggy fatiguing, I would say its more on the neutral side. My first schitt dac was a gungnir. I would agree that is is warmth in the mids, especially compared to my Meridian director that I owned at the time. The director was more detailed than my gungnir. I just bought a Pass Labs Int 60 and it and the Yaggy are a match made in heaven. The pass is warm in the mids and I believe if I had a Gumby, it would be too warm. Its amazing how warm and musical the pass amp is and at the same time the detail is amazing with Yggy at the helm. So system matching plays a big part on what a piece sounds like

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #1,253 of 1,366
There is no way I would call the Yggdrasil fatiguing. I have paired it with solid state amps such as the old school all Class A Pioneer M-22 and the more modern Class AB Schiit Vidar. The preamp I use has a tube gain stage and can be used in passive and JFET solid state mode. I too would call Yggdrasil neutral and especially wonderful in a full size speaker setup.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #1,254 of 1,366
Likewise. If your system is fatiguing, it's more likely something further down the chain. I found once, for example, that a tube I liked was adding a bit of harshness to the treble. It was subtle enough I didn't notice for quite a long time and thought it was the headphones.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,255 of 1,366
I wouldn't call Yggdrasil fatiguing too. With my headphones of ZMF Eikon, Atticus, LCD-2f and HD800, I could listen for hours on end without any trace of fatigue with Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. Clarity, details and musicality yes but definitely not fatigue or harshness.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #1,256 of 1,366
I personally do not share your dislike for the Singularity 19, but I respect your way to auditioning/comparing gears. Please keep up with the good work!

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #1,257 of 1,366
As a general rule I find that the fatigue factor is usually a result of the setup that the entire system is embedded within.
What I call choke points can and do result in various forms of listener fatigue.
The fewer of them the less the 'irritation', especially as the degree of transparency of the gear increases.
Put another way, less transparent gear can tend to mask the effects of listener fatigue that the entire system has.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

JJ

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,258 of 1,366
Hi,
I wonder if anyone is using a RedNet AOIP for multichannel audio (movies), from Jriver, for example. I currently use a scarlet 6i6 connected by usb to the pc and to a HOLO Spring dac for front speakers. Rest of channels are converted to analogue by the focusrite. I was thinking of using a RedNet and adding a second dac ( buy A mimby) just for the center channel. Any comments?
Thanks
David

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,260 of 1,366
Should denafrips gear be on this list? Venus, terminator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back