Life after Yggdrasil?
Nov 12, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #946 of 1,366
I note Torq that you mentioned how much you liked DSD on the Spring DAC. My opinion from long experience with SACD (via an EMM xds1 cdp and others before this) is that is that SACD/DSD makes all the difference in the world. 
Of course the big problem is the limited amount of music in DSD, but if there is music you like (for instance the entire Rolling Stones catalog), you are in total luck.
For me, DSD done right is insanely natural. It is the only digital method of very high resolution without going over the top in glare or any fatiguing sonic aspects. 

I mean we are talking the real joy of listening here, no kidding.

And DSD has bass that is so transparent it sounds like a live bass event, like real thunder or an explosion. DSD bass is a musical item in itself, very pure, making non DSD sound opaque in comparison.
I have a hard time describing the nature of DSD bass sonics; you really have to hear it to understand. It's not just a foundation, it's a thing of beauty in itself.

I used to have vinyl long ago as the only cure for digital pain, but SACD/DSD convinced me that digital is the way to go, and I abandoned vinyl as inferior, not having the resolution I prefer.

I mainly listen to popular music of the last 50 years or so, and SACD/DSD is a godsend to this type of music, giving you an insight into classic performances I never would have believed possible.

(Just one more note though, for music not available in DSD, I am a fan of Japanese SHM CDs as having the best mastering jobs that target the digital glare monster. For instance, the Beatles on SHM is the best I have heard and well worth it. I need to try ripping my SHM CDs for my desktop system with a Hugo TT, but I have not gotten around to it.)

For the record, I use these headphones mainly: Stax SR007/mk2, Stax 009, Audeze LCD4, Grado PS1000e, Senn 650 w/Toxic silver widow cable.
When I listen to my headphones here, and normally there are issues to some degree of either some brightness, muddy bass, grain, or whatever, if I switch to the DSD version of a recording, suddenly things are magically cured. There are many recording that are unlistenable in standard mode that are at the other extreme of musicality with DSD.
(I actually do not use my Stax 009 at all without DSD, as it does highlight glare in regular digital.)

OK, thanks for reading, but that's been my experience over the last 15 years or so with DSD and SACD.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #947 of 1,366
I note Torq that you mentioned how much you liked DSD on the Spring DAC. My opinion from long experience with SACD (via an EMM xds1 cdp and others before this) is that is that SACD/DSD makes all the difference in the world. 
Of course the big problem is the limited amount of music in DSD, but if there is music you like (for instance the entire Rolling Stones catalog), you are in total luck.
For me, DSD done right is insanely natural. It is the only digital method of very high resolution without going over the top in glare or any fatiguing sonic aspects. 

I mean we are talking the real joy of listening here, no kidding.

And DSD has bass that is so transparent it sounds like a live bass event, like real thunder or an explosion. DSD bass is a musical item in itself, very pure, making non DSD sound opaque in comparison.
I have a hard time describing the nature of DSD bass sonics; you really have to hear it to understand. It's not just a foundation, it's a thing of beauty in itself.

I used to have vinyl long ago as the only cure for digital pain, but SACD/DSD convinced me that digital is the way to go, and I abandoned vinyl as inferior, not having the resolution I prefer.

I mainly listen to popular music of the last 50 years or so, and SACD/DSD is a godsend to this type of music, giving you an insight into classic performances I never would have believed possible.

(Just one more note though, for music not available in DSD, I am a fan of Japanese SHM CDs as having the best mastering jobs that target the digital glare monster. For instance, the Beatles on SHM is the best I have heard and well worth it. I need to try ripping my SHM CDs for my desktop system with a Hugo TT, but I have not gotten around to it.)

For the record, I use these headphones mainly: Stax SR007/mk2, Stax 009, Audeze LCD4, Grado PS1000e, Senn 650 w/Toxic silver widow cable.
When I listen to my headphones here, and normally there are issues to some degree of either some brightness, muddy bass, grain, or whatever, if I switch to the DSD version of a recording, suddenly things are magically cured. There are many recording that are unlistenable in standard mode that are at the other extreme of musicality with DSD.
(I actually do not use my Stax 009 at all without DSD, as it does highlight glare in regular digital.)

OK, thanks for reading, but that's been my experience over the last 15 years or so with DSD and SACD.

Let's not get too carried away and be reading more into what I actually said than is there ...

While the Holo Audio Spring DAC is the best DSD playback I've heard, it still hasn't elevated DSD above PCM for me.

What it did do is give me a DSD capability that was good enough for me to be open to buying more of when a good DSD master was available. And in the short term had me enthusiastically exploring some additional DSD content to that I already owned.

But don't misconstrue what I actually said as anything more than that. I am not about to become a vocal DSD proponent. I'm not going to be rebuying my PCM content in DSD (even to the minimal level that'd be possible).

I'm still of the opinion that it's the master, not the format, that is having the bigger effect here - just the Spring DAC gives me the ability to explore both formats for a common master (in the vanishingly few cases where that is even relevant).

And the Spring DAC is still better with PCM in NOS than it is DSD in any form, in my opinion.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #948 of 1,366
@Torq
Thanks a lot for the nice journey it has been very enjoyable
Two quick questions: would you go for su-1 or rednet 3, SQ wise?
Any thoughts regarding SQ difference between level 2 and level 3?

SU-1 vs. RedNet 3:

It depends.  

The Holo Audio unit sounds its best via its I2S input, so SU-1 there.

But if you compare the AES performance between the RedNet 3 and SU-1 I'd put the RedNet unit ahead.

Personally, I use both for various reasons.

Sound Quality Difference between Level 2 and 3:

No idea, I'm afraid.  I've only heard the Level 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition".

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #949 of 1,366

SU-1 vs. RedNet 3:

It depends.  

The Holo Audio unit sounds its best via its I2S input, so SU-1 there.

But if you compare the AES performance between the RedNet 3 and SU-1 I'd put the RedNet unit ahead.

Personally, I use both for various reasons.

Sound Quality Difference between Level 2 and 3:

No idea, I'm afraid.  I've only heard the Level 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition".

After having the Yggy for a about a month I believe it sounds better w/o the SU-1.

I think it adds warmth that overlaps w/ the Yggy's warm side which makes it too much. So far the pro3z w/ a good lps sounds but not sure if I like it better than w/o it.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #950 of 1,366
Hi Torq and of course I did *not* mean to re-interpret what you said about DSD.
I just get excited when someone says anything positive about it since it's my thing and I rarely see it getting much attention or respect anymore.
(And then I go off on a rant with my strong opinions on it.)
So I apologize for cluttering up your excellent thread with this off-topic material. If you want, let me know here or by PM and I'll quickly remove my posts on it in this thread.

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #952 of 1,366
It's Chinese made.

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #953 of 1,366
Thanks for reading ... enjoy the music!

Hi Torq!
Would you mind if I specifically ask your opinion about something? I've seen you advocate the use of literally any other connection as opposed to USB. After reading several of your posts, it convinced me to try it out. Problem is, the cheapest optical cable where I live is ~$30, and all I have for listening to music, is a PC.

I have one of those "fancy" PC motherboard so it has an optical connection. $30 is kinda steep for my situation in regards to trial and error that may/may not work. So I'd like to make a better decision, hence this question to you.
Do you think a general gaming PC motherboard built-in toslink and/or Coax be good enough for me to hear noticeable difference compared to USB?
My chain is Modi -> Joty -> 650 at the moment.

thanks for reading and thank you in advance.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #954 of 1,366
Hi Torq and of course I did *not* mean to re-interpret what you said about DSD.
I just get excited when someone says anything positive about it since it's my thing and I rarely see it getting much attention or respect anymore.
(And then I go off on a rant with my strong opinions on it.)
So I apologize for cluttering up your excellent thread with this off-topic material. If you want, let me know here or by PM and I'll quickly remove my posts on it in this thread.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure I was not being misinterpreted!

And no need to remove any posts!

:)

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #955 of 1,366
Hi Torq!
Would you mind if I specifically ask your opinion about something? I've seen you advocate the use of literally any other connection as opposed to USB. After reading several of your posts, it convinced me to try it out. Problem is, the cheapest optical cable where I live is ~$30, and all I have for listening to music, is a PC.

I have one of those "fancy" PC motherboard so it has an optical connection. $30 is kinda steep for my situation in regards to trial and error that may/may not work. So I'd like to make a better decision, hence this question to you.
Do you think a general gaming PC motherboard built-in toslink and/or Coax be good enough for me to hear noticeable difference compared to USB?

In your situation, I'd stick with what you have.

While it's perfectly possible, and more than probable, that the TOSLINK output on your motherboard is good enough to realize an audible benefit (especially as the more complex boards typically have more sources of noise to affect the USB connection), the quality of the optical cable is a significant factor in getting proper results with TOSLINK.

There are only two cables I recommend ... Lifatec's glass cables and the Sys Concepts stuff (for mobile use). Those run around $100.

Feel free to post a link to the cable you have in mind, but if it isn't good glass with properly polished ends it'll likely do you little good.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #956 of 1,366
Hi Torq!

Hi, I own a Lifeatec cable and have been using with with my gaming pc and with an Oppo bluray player. I would NOT recommend you go that route unless you plan on upgrading your source . Through my pc, optical sounds bright , harsh, and fatiguing. Through the Oppo, it sounds smooth,liquid, and more coherent. If you plan on using the PC as a source I think you should look into Toslink reclockers like the Wyred 4 sound Remedy.

Just my two cents.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #957 of 1,366
I'm really enjoying my Yggys. Yeah, I went from none to two, lol. One at my work office and one at home. I agree they do blossom with time (judging from the first one I bought), but they do sound pretty darn good out of the box too! Now I want to upgrade my studio monitors to Focal!

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #958 of 1,366
In your situation, I'd stick with what you have.

While it's perfectly possible, and more than probable, that the TOSLINK output on your motherboard is good enough to realize an audible benefit (especially as the more complex boards typically have more sources of noise to affect the USB connection), the quality of the optical cable is a significant factor in getting proper results with TOSLINK.

There are only two cables I recommend ... Lifatec's glass cables and the Sys Concepts stuff (for mobile use). Those run around $100.

Feel free to post a link to the cable you have in mind, but if it isn't good glass with properly polished ends it'll likely do you little good.

It's the typical $5 cable they sell at a markup. The brand is not AmazonBasic but it's essentially AmazonBasic and AmazonBasic-like brand they sell on Amazon US. They used to carry Monoprice optical, but not anymore. But when it was available, it was $25 also. You get the idea...

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #959 of 1,366
Thank you Torq for the incredibly well thought out reviews!
I appreciate you in taking so much time out of your day(s) to trial all these wonderful products so that we, the community, can all benefit from this.

I was very keen on keeping keeping the Yggdrasil until I came across the Holo Audio Spring (thanks to you). Being a fan of both PCM & DSD, this was a no brainer. The i2S sold me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back