Library Headphones ????
Jan 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

musedesign

100+ Head-Fier
I spend almost everyday at the library or traveling.

Currently I am use my Macbook Pro, Pandora, Nuforce uDAC2 and MEElectronics M6 (IEM), I want a more spacious sound stage.  In the past I carried my Sennheiser HD 201 back and forth to the library, they are cheap and sound okay.  But with so much time listening want a higher quality headphone with more soundstage.

Looking at purchasing:
Sennheiser - HD 280     $99   Closed, folds
Sennheiser HD 595 ($117) Open
AKG  K240STU ($99) Semi open
Audio Technica ATH-A700    $111  Closed, Best of Sterephile

Other suggestions?

Love the Sennheiser sound, but willing to try other.  Soundstage and durability are my prime objectives.  Interested in others feedback on open vs. closed headphones in work environments like the library.

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 4
First of all, I'm going to assume that this is a non-silent library, such as a one on the main floor of a college campus. 

You really need to tell us how much you're willing to spend because you can obviously get much better than your list, however the cash has to be available to do so.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks wdahm519 !  I go to a public library, work on the second floor with some noise.  I also travel often and would like to use the headphones for air travel.

Would like to spend about $150 for the headphones and about $200 for a Amp / DAC that I can use both at the library and with my squeezebox.

Thanks! 

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm pretty new to the whole audiophile thing, but after trawling the forums and the internet a lot, it seems like at this price range, the M50 gets recommended most often. I recently got a pair, and they sound really good to me, but as I said, I'm no expert... If you're willing to consider other options, I found this page to be rather helpful: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/10/
Also, if portability is an issue, you might want to look into more portable ones than the ones you listed. However, the M50 also folds to a pretty compact size, as does the HD280.
On the subject of open vs. closed in a library, I'd probably say that closed is better, as there's minimal leakage so you won't bother anyone next to you with your music. Also, since they tend to be more isolating, you get a more peaceful environment to work in. 
Well that's just my opinion, and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back