LH Labs' gorgeous Vi Dac ( Tube + SS outputs )
Apr 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #677 of 1,178
Really...is it worth going on...

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #679 of 1,178
That is interesting info about the newer chips.  They may in fact be superior.  At some level, I think that newer chips may not always be sonically superior and the methods of implementation of the chip may be more critical for sound quality, versus higher specs on a newer chip design.

Who knows...  trying to be rainbow bright and see the glass as half full.

Now, having said that I am thoroughly depressed about this whole state of affairs.  I hate to think it, but all the chip stuff may be irrelevant as we may never receive our Vi DAC's anyway.

If I think about that, I get really mad.

I will say, if it turns out I don't receive my Vi within the year, I will take legal action, which fortunately for me, is easy to do.  I don't want to resort to that, but will do so if I must.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #681 of 1,178
That is interesting info about the newer chips.  They may in fact be superior.  At some level, I think that newer chips may not always be sonically superior and the methods of implementation of the chip may be more critical for sound quality, versus higher specs on a newer chip design.

Who knows...  trying to be rainbow bright and see the glass as half full.

Now, having said that I am thoroughly depressed about this whole state of affairs.  I hate to think it, but all the chip stuff may be irrelevant as we may never receive our Vi DAC's anyway.

If I think about that, I get really mad.

I will say, if it turns out I don't receive my Vi within the year, I will take legal action, which fortunately for me, is easy to do.  I don't want to resort to that, but will do so if I must.

Hi Blake,

Any chance that you could "expand" your legal action with the ones from other backers, too?

I'm for instance a overseas backer who is "expecting" a Geek Source (which I don't want anymore since the advertised hexagonal design won't be produced...and I tried several attempts to get a refund without any luck) and a Geek Wave.

So I would really also like to get my money back or at least a greater portion of it.
Hence I would appreciate if you can initiate a combined backers legal case against LHL.

If I can support somehow pls let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
M.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #682 of 1,178
I forget where I Read it but the 9028 is basically the newer chip in the vi dac renamed and in a slightly different package or something.. sorry I don't have the link handy.  

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #683 of 1,178
What do we think the odds are that our Vi Tube units ever get delivered? I'm fearing the worst at this point.

I'm waiting on a fully upgraded Vi Tube ∞ with CCX 7 module, Siemens E88CC/6922 Tubes & Tube Power Cap upgrade.

I'm sure glad I picked up a cheap used Cambridge DacMagic + about a year ago to enjoy in the mean time. Sad thing is I'm likely to sell the Vi Tube if it ever shows up to rid myself of the bad taste in my mouth from dealing with LH Labs. What a complete embarrassment to conduct business the way they have. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #684 of 1,178
Bought an exogal comet myself. I've been waiting years for the ViDac tube, finally gave up. I don't think I'll ever see it. I think LH has burned through our cash and the bankruptcy is only a matter of time.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #685 of 1,178
Been thinking about the Mytek Brooklyn, not as expensive as the Vi Tube DAC SE I bought (not spending that again, boo hoo), but sounded very nice at CanJam NY when I listened to it. Still holding out hope, but starting to think seriously about it...

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #686 of 1,178
I bought the Holo Spring DAC (Kitsune Level 3) and the Schitt Yggy. There is no way the LHL will best them except with looks (if you like the Vi better) and the fun of switching tubes on/off.

I agree there's little chance Larry will deliver much of anything. He hasn't yet and there's no evidence things will ever speed up on any of his too many projects. Money and motivation can't last forever. Plus, I don't know of any legal obligations either LHL or Gogo have.

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #687 of 1,178
Got myself an Audio-GD NOS 7 and been happy with if for a year now. Still pissed about the whole fiasco but looks like it will be just one of those bad investment I need to get over.

May 1, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #688 of 1,178
First of all, I have to say, sticking the schedule on design side is more easy than production side. As a designer, I want people to have our product that *might* be more eager than you. The production limitation factor includes: Sometimes your vendor delays, and all of sudden, we learned how powerful a port union could be, also sometimes we got screwed by our PCB factory.
And I fully understand LH Labs need to eat up all these delays complains and frustration that backers have.

So our action is more clear and effective communications to our backers and try to lock in more and more vendors' parts and PCBF's time slot.

Still aiming for Sep. No change.

Larry
And 2 years after this post from Larry we're still waiting for the Vi and the effective communications.

May 6, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #689 of 1,178
A new update was posted today:

Dear Vi DAC backers,

We already finished the updates of Vi DAC firmware to 2.0. So the new Vi DAC shipped out will be able to handle DSD256 directly on the Mac via DoP 1.1 protocol.

We feel very sorry for the long delay of the rest of the units due to chassis production issues; we tried to work with the original CNC vendor and spent a lot time there which ended no good results and waste money and time. It's our call to work with them. So we take the full responsibility to push more and got another good vendor who is willing to work with us closely even for a relatively small quantity of order in their standard.

So for the Vi Tube DAC chassis, since the second CNC factory is working on a different tooling structure to make the production quality more stable. After they finish the new tooling on May 20. We could pick up the chassis production speed from that time. The tooling cost a lot money to make but in order to make production more stable and faster, we must do that.

Also, while we are testing the Vi DAC Tube stage board. In order to appreciate the patience of all Vi Tube DAC backers, we will FREE upgrade the original through hole resistors to Vishay high precision better sound quality ones.

With the new enhanced DSD256 capability, new DaVinci inherited digital filters algorithm and new upgraded through hole resistors from Vishay, and the continuous support of the future software features. We believe that your Vi Tube DAC is the best sounding DAC that could output both Solid State and Tube analog stage simultaneously.

Thank you very much for your kind support. And we will keep pushing to finish this project.

May 6, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #690 of 1,178
All I read there is more delays considering the last update says they will be pumping more on May now it's not even ready to produce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back