LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #781 of 2,040
Oh, for whatever reason, they made a decision a long time ago to not support direct lightening connection. That was originally part of the early Wave and Stream campaigns but was later dropped. I have no idea why, as they've claimed to be mFi certified, as least at one point in campaign histories.

Using the CCK is definitely annoying.

From all the manufacturers that I know I've learned that Apple's process for mFi certification is really intrusive and painful. At least one told me "if I knew beforehand all that it would take I never would have done it". For some it's a question of time and resources, for others it's a question of IP, as Apple appears to require all technical information about a product. Why LHL didn't I'm not sure. 

There are other options though. Companies like Lavricable make a Lightning to USB micro cable that includes the required chip in it. Here's their eBay listing number (172046678763) 
although note the price in the listing is not the real price). You can search for other users of the cable here on HF, especially in the Chord Mojo thread. 

Cheers 

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #782 of 2,040
Lavricable works well with the chord mojo. I need to confirm if it still works after the weekend update of 9.2.1 though. I never tested it on v2+ when I had it but would assume it would be fine.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #783 of 2,040
Lavricable works well with the chord mojo. I need to confirm if it still works after the weekend update of 9.2.1 though. I never tested it on v2+ when I had it but would assume it would be fine.

Works with the Mojo and IOS 9.2.1 just fine.

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #784 of 2,040
Thank you kindly. I just received a note from LH Labs and they are putting the finishing touches on an OTG micro b to micro b that according to them will be compatible with the Apple miniature lightning adapter, which I already know does not work, since I have it. This small piece is only for syncing and charging. They are testing it as we speak. apparently they cannot create a lightning to micro b. MFI?

I will search the cable you suggested... and thank you very much. A very frustrating 18 months with the geek out V2+ Infinity...

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #785 of 2,040
I will order the Lavricable chord mojo. It's coming from Europe (Audiogon) for $100, shipping included. Manny from LH said You are right. They do not currently have licensing to utilize the lightning port.

I'll try to find the cabe a little cheaper but it's better than a what I have and the LH alternative of Apple Miniature Lightning to micro adapter, then from micro b to micro b cable, which LH will sell for $49 when it's ready to market. they're testing it out and let me know soonest. Unless the cable is reconfigured (or the adapter) it won't work. I already tried that setup with the adapter and a micro to micro cable ($9).

You've been a great help. I'll keep you and then great folks here tuned in.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #786 of 2,040
I own the GO gold limited edition signature series. On a positive note this dac sounds amazing. I like it much better then my chord mojo..which I recently sold. Don't get me wrong the mojo is definitely an impressive dac/headphone amp.

I happened to notice several photo's recently of the signatures on the box. They don't appear to be the same at all. In fact if you look at the top left hand corner on the one photo there is ghosting that looks like it could have been a guide for that signature.

The signatures are definitely different, in fact on the one box the signatures look copied and stiff compared to the other box signatures.
It isn't like there were hundreds of these to sign. That I could understand (the old wrist gets tired and bored). Also if they had been silk screened. It's definitely not a deal breaker the GO is an exceptional product. Just curious.

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #787 of 2,040
  I own the GO gold limited edition signature series. On a positive note this dac sounds amazing. I like it much better then my chord mojo..which I recently sold. Don't get me wrong the mojo is definitely an impressive dac/headphone amp.

I happened to notice several photo's recently of the signatures on the box. They don't appear to be the same at all. In fact if you look at the top left hand corner on the one photo there is ghosting that looks like it could have been a guide for that signature.

The signatures are definitely different, in fact on the one box the signatures look copied and stiff compared to the other box signatures.
It isn't like there were hundreds of these to sign. That I could understand (the old wrist gets tired and bored). Also if they had been silk screened. It's definitely not a deal breaker the GO is an exceptional product. Just curious.

Is this GO v2+ or GO v2+ Infinity?
What phones do you use it with?
Any CIEMs maybe?
Do you use balanced out?

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #788 of 2,040
  I was thinking of getting one of these, but stories like this have changed my mind. How come a company making exactly what I want is doing such a bad job??

ditto... a PR nightmare for sure.
when i think of the geekout v2 i think 'iffy' for QC, cust support etc given some of the postings on this thread.

yet when i think of of the chord mojo or the iFi micro DSD
i don't have those thoughts (both products seem well supported and embraced)

truly hope that this company can get it together both for their customers and its own image.
they seem to have some fab ideas and products.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #789 of 2,040
I'm batch 8 and they delayed me for the third time last week. They also refused to refund me because my unit was "close to shipping". I contacted them again and was told mid to late February. Unbelievable. I wish I could sue.

Kojaku

I was thinking of getting one of these, but stories like this have changed my mind. How come a company making exactly what I want is doing such a bad job??

I am starting to think i will never receive this product. This is the reply from LH labs on the status of my V2+.

Current estimations on when your Geek Out V2+ Infinity will be shipped is now the end of Feb to mid March 2016. We are awaiting additional boards to be received so that we can fulfill the remaining orders for the V2+. Unfortunately production will be delayed during the month of February since its Chinese new years.

I have had my GO V2+ for about 3 weeks.
Day 1 of use , it worked fine but loud snapping noise could be heard when changing sampling rates.
Day 2, battery would not charge and v2+ would not turn on ,
Day 3,worked ok but blue on led would not work
Customer service said the circuit board is probably defective and said they would issue me a RA #
One week went by-Nothing happened
When I inquired about the RA # ,they responded that the Dept. in charge of that is being revamped.
It is like a comedy of errors
They obviously do not care about the customer's problems by pushing the complaints with their product aside.
On one good note, when the amp works in balanced mode ,it sounds great with Hifiman RE-600.

Batch 1 here - haven't heard a thing from them. Not one peep. I asked for a refund back in November and got the response that,

Completely infuriating. 

ditto... a PR nightmare for sure.
when i think of the geekout v2 i think 'iffy' for QC, cust support etc given some of the postings on this thread.

This is simply unbelievable... I can only repeat how happy I am that I cancelled my preorder long ago. They tried the same response btw... Definitely won't do business with LH Labs ever again.

Regarding the issue of not charging while playing: maybe there's just not enough current or a heat dissipation problem... The Sony PHA-3 uses an ESS9018 as well and does not charge while playing because some voltage regulator or some other part might overheat as far as I remember. On the other hand this GO thing uses only the mobile 9018, doesn't it?

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #790 of 2,040
If LH Labs does not correct these problems, their business will probably go downhill.
Gavin should step up to the plate get to work and fix the situation.
If not , I have learned an expensive lesson.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #791 of 2,040
If LH Labs does not correct these problems, their business will probably go downhill.

they started off with wonderful intentions, great ideas...really hope they can fix things and get back on track.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #792 of 2,040
There is one way manufacturers learn ...  stop buying their products.   Larry has so much talent.  I don't know why he surrounds himself with questionable business people.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #793 of 2,040
Geez, v2+ still haven't completely shipped out yet? Looking at my previous posts, look like the campaign started way back May 2015 when LH Lab required all preorders to pony up the cash early through their nonrefundable indiegogo trick, 3 more months and it will have been a year. Since then we have many other wonderful new products from other companies such as Chord mojo, and Fiio X7. Glad I decided to not pay up and got my $1 back. I am really curious on how good LH Labs products can be, but I doubt it is that good. I know it's definitely not worth the agony of dealing with the company shady practices.

Maybe I be able to listen to the v2+ at a meet sometime.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #794 of 2,040
It is the GO 1000 limited edition signature series with 32 total manufactured. There is no balanced mode with this series that I know of.
I am using this with my MacBook Pro 2015 retina for the most part. Although I have quite a few headphones my Fostex th-x00 and Grado 325e are my favorites with it.
My iem's are Hifiman songbird re-600. I do have a balanced cable for my pono player that sounds very impressive with the re-600.
I recently sold my chord mojo because the GO limited edition 1000 (in my opinion) is much better sounding in every way. I really liked the mojo up until my GO purchase. The mojo is a really cool product. Solid build, cool design and wonderful sounding.
The GO is a heck of a DAC/amp. There seems to be quite a lot of problems with this company from what I have read here on this forum. Considering how much I Like my limited 1000 I understand what the members here are going through in terms of marketing and delivery, manufacturing issues. It appears to me when this happens that particular company is having financial problems. To bad. My GO is one of the best DAC/combination I have ever owned.
That said I hope they turn things around. If not then I suppose they will get what they deserve. A real shame though considering the talent that is there and really good sounding audio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back