LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #796 of 2,040
was the 1000 replaced by the v2, v2+ and infinity versions?
they all look the same in design from what  i can observe.

when read product comments like glockhit i double cross my fingers
that they can turn it around.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #797 of 2,040
Well yes and no. The standard GO 1000 was indeed replaced by the v2..series. Although the Gold limited edition series has the femto clock and was customized by Larry Hol originally for himself and a select few.

This included:

Crystek femto clocks -- According to members of Computeraudiophile, the least expensive DAC with femto clocks costs $3500
Upgrade components, hand-picked and checked by Larry Hol himself
Murata COG caps
Hand-matched op-amps for 3 dB lower SNR
Newly designed power supply
2% silver solder

And of course this edition was gold in color with a special box signed by him and the crew at LH. The dac/amp is also signed by Larry and in a retail number of (supposedly) 16 although I have #20. There were supposedly 32 total manufactured.
I really don't know who originally owned mine I traded for it with another member who was not the original owner. This is ok with me it's in mint condition inside and out. Also I know the member I traded with has a very positive and long standing rating here.
Remember though this select model has become pretty rare and it was manufactured in late 2014 or early 2015.

Two days ago I logged on to LH and sent an email with quite a few questions. Rather then get in to the specifics now I will keep this forum posted in terms of how much time it takes to receive a reply. Also whether the information they send was helpful.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #798 of 2,040
I am also still waiting for my v2+.  Latest word is shipments will resume in March.

On the other hand, I love the v2 which I use in my car's media server, which sounds fantastic.

As for the v2+, the problems have been related to updating the original 3D printed case with something more attractive for which I am willing to wait
(of course, if this were for my main music system or something I use daily, I would not be this patient........i only use this when traveling on business/planes/trains/etc)

The current delay (adding I guess 2-4 weeks) is due to the shutdown of chinese production for the holiday (happy year of the monkey everyone!) and this affects the entire world's supply of electronics and parts from china.  Sometime delays cascade and while it is never fun to be on this side of the delay, stuff happens (read the wonderful book/posting from the team at schitt to get a feel for some real world day to day hair pulling stories).

Could all this be anticipated?  Could a small company guard against these eventualities while putting out a stream of new products?
Heck if I know, I'm a researcher not a manufacturer but I'm inclined to cut them some slack as a small company in a niche business dealing with us obsessive audiophiles.

Your mileage may vary............my 2 cents (with no intent to start/continue an even longer discussion)

新年好 / 新年好

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #799 of 2,040
Recently I purchased the LH Labs Geekout Limited Gold Signature Edition Dac/Headphone amp.

I happened to notice that the signatures (although the same names) are actually different on several display boxes for this product.
I outlined in white two of the more obvious signatures.The one in the top left hand corner even has what appears to be another signature underneath it. Weird. The other signature outlined doesn't even have the same flow/stroke. In fact many of them don't.
It would be very easy for someone to use the blank black box that comes with all of the GO's and copy signatures on that box with a gold marker. Or perhaps the company has one of their employees sign their names. Any thoughts. I have sent them an email with no reply. There are a lot of fakes out there today.
Quote:
  I am also still waiting for my v2+.  Latest word is shipments will resume in March.

On the other hand, I love the v2 which I use in my car's media server, which sounds fantastic.

As for the v2+, the problems have been related to updating the original 3D printed case with something more attractive for which I am willing to wait
(of course, if this were for my main music system or something I use daily, I would not be this patient........i only use this when traveling on business/planes/trains/etc)

The current delay (adding I guess 2-4 weeks) is due to the shutdown of chinese production for the holiday (happy year of the monkey everyone!) and this affects the entire world's supply of electronics and parts from china.  Sometime delays cascade and while it is never fun to be on this side of the delay, stuff happens (read the wonderful book/posting from the team at schitt to get a feel for some real world day to day hair pulling stories).

Could all this be anticipated?  Could a small company guard against these eventualities while putting out a stream of new products?
Heck if I know, I'm a researcher not a manufacturer but I'm inclined to cut them some slack as a small company in a niche business dealing with us obsessive audiophiles.

Your mileage may vary............my 2 cents (with no intent to start/continue an even longer discussion)

新年好 / 新年好

Yes a small/medium/large company can guard against these eventualities. Happens in business all the time. One must allow these things in production..but....and this is just my two cents....this seems to happen often with LH. Too often with excuse after excuse. Perhaps to cover the real underlying problems that you won't be told about. Who knows. I do like the sound of the GO enough to keep buying their product. Maybe they are betting on that. For the time being anyway.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #800 of 2,040
I can tell you that it's impossible for me to write my signature 32 times and have them look identical on a completely flat surface with a fine point pen, let alone on a thin box that doesn't make for a solid palm rest with a thick headed Sharpie. Just because the signatures don't match perfectly doesn't mean you got a knock-off. I also don't see anyone taking the time to copy the GO SE because it simply wouldn't be worth the effort. The resale value on them is poor because it's a relatively unknown niche product, and any knock-offs most likely cannot be sold as new. Everyone I know who received one listened to theirs at some point before they decided if they wanted to keep it or pass it along. The companies that have no fear making fake products would rather copy something they can sell as new and can be sold in large quantities for a better return on investment.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #801 of 2,040
Well yes and no. The standard GO 1000 was indeed replaced by the v2..series. Although the Gold limited edition series has the femto clock and was customized by Larry Hol originally for himself and a select few.

This included:

Crystek femto clocks -- According to members of Computeraudiophile, the least expensive DAC with femto clocks costs $3500
Upgrade components, hand-picked and checked by Larry Hol himself
Murata COG caps
Hand-matched op-amps for 3 dB lower SNR
Newly designed power supply
2% silver solder

Any sound comparisons between the 1000 Gold edition vs the V2? 

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #802 of 2,040

Sorry to here that about your V2. When that happens unfortunately it's best to send it back in with your warranty.
Comparing it to the V2 I had the gold 1000 has more micro detail, deeper bass, and better detail in general. It should though considering it's components..and the price. Retailed for just under $1000.00. None the less the V2 is a very good dac/amp.
I have decided to sell my Gold signature edition on headfi today. I am going to move on to another project and will not really need it.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #803 of 2,040

Wanted to let the members here know that I sent the photos in question to LH and was just assured the signatures are theirs and not someone else signing them. Good to know. They got back to me within two days. Much appreciated.
Thanks Larry Hol.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #804 of 2,040

The current delay (adding I guess 2-4 weeks) is due to the shutdown of chinese production for the holiday

I opened a ticket at the beginning of the year asking for status on my V2+ SE that was perked during the Stream campaign which should have given it highest priority. The excuse at the time was that the gold cases received had scratches so they ordered new ones which would arrive late January. I opened another ticket recently asking for another status and now it's mid March due to CNY. It takes a couple months to order a handful of limited run, very simple cases? LHL continues to disappoint.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #805 of 2,040
  Yes a small/medium/large company can guard against these eventualities. Happens in business all the time. One must allow these things in production..but....and this is just my two cents....this seems to happen often with LH. Too often with excuse after excuse. Perhaps to cover the real underlying problems that you won't be told about. Who knows. I do like the sound of the GO enough to keep buying their product. Maybe they are betting on that. For the time being anyway.

Reading through Jason Stoddards Schiit story gives exactly that scenario: a small company confronted with the problems of contract manufacturing. They learned. LH does not. Reading those excuses I have to say I know them all already. Guess I was dealing with clients trying to avoid paying invoices long enough :wink:

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #806 of 2,040
Reading through Jason Stoddards Schiit story gives exactly that scenario: a small company confronted with the problems of contract manufacturing. They learned. LH does not. Reading those excuses I have to say I know them all already. Guess I was dealing with clients trying to avoid paying invoices long enough :wink:
You hit the nail on the head..so to speak. Excellent point.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #807 of 2,040
  The current delay (adding I guess 2-4 weeks) is due to the shutdown of chinese production for the holiday (happy year of the monkey everyone!) and this affects the entire world's supply of electronics and parts from china. 

So are the chassis' being produced in China then?  Five months ago they told us in an Indigogo update that all the V2+ PCBs were "in house just waiting for the chassis to put them into."

Three months ago they told us all the PCBs were tested.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #808 of 2,040
So are the chassis' being produced in China then?  Five months ago they told us in an Indigogo update that all the V2+ PCBs were "in house just waiting for the chassis to put them into."

Three months ago they told us all the PCBs were tested.

Before I even got the response to my ticket I knew the excuse would be CNY. Just like the excuse for the next inevitable delay will be port strike, supplier QC, no shipping boxes, or my dog ate my homework, etc.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #809 of 2,040
Before I even got the response to my ticket I knew the excuse would be CNY. Just like the excuse for the next inevitable delay will be port strike, supplier QC, no shipping boxes, or my dog ate my homework, etc.

Yes, they could at the very least offer some imaginative excuses

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #810 of 2,040
Quote:

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head..so to speak. Excellent point.

i was reading a lengthy interview with the Chord owners a few days ago (fascinating on listening theory/neurology)
....their manufacturing, R&D is all close by, from what I understood, so
  if there is anything is wrong with some production run (etc), then they can hop in their car and
just drive over to said place and have it resolved quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10k_yMHCncY&ab_channel=TheProAudioWebBlog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back