LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Nov 12, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #571 of 2,040
  This whole story reminds me of that story I read in some Ephraim Kishon book where a shoemaker had a sign in his store window saying "We repair your shoes while you're waiting". He continues to say: "The repair took him 2 months. But I can't deny I was in fact *waiting*".

To me its really interesting how patient some people are... the constant ridiculous delays combined with those sneaky power specs, the constant "achievement reports" in best Neusprech would have scared me off had I researched before ordering. Really glad I cancelled this fiasco long ago. Paying 6 months in advance is not a deal. I mean come on...

Yeah exactly. I waited till campaign was done. randomly messaged them on September 9th via email, had my V2 in hand by the 10th. Gotta work the system meng

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #572 of 2,040

Yeah exactly. I waited till campaign was done. randomly messaged them on September 9th via email, had my V2 in hand by the 10th. Gotta work the system meng

Now THAT'S sneaky, if I ever heard of it! Nice work. 

As opposed to weaseling my way in this time around I'm waiting for things to roll out and then hit the For Sale forum. I'm happy with my Infinity 2.0, but it seems I could have picked up one of those in the For Sale forum unopened had I waited and wanted one...

What I've been wondering since getting my X Infinity 2.0 is how it would compare to Oppo's HA-1? They're about the same size, have similar components, outputs, and functions. The Oppo is definitely more hefty, has a better display, and does have guaranteed build quality. The Pulse X Infinity has the "option" of a dedicated, outboard Linear Power Supply. 

So, has anyone compared them, even if not directly? And how does the HA-1 sound? I've seen that there are mods for them too, does anyone know if the mods are worth doing? Open ended, YMMV, and all that jazz.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #573 of 2,040
FYI

I have one of the test samples of the V2+ and wanted to let you know that balanced using a Samsung S5 as the source and JH13PROS FP, there is only 1 volume click before it's too loud.

There are no special drivers for Android so whatever it does is what you get. My combination of the S5 with Google Play has a very serious short-coming in the volume control when using the V2+ balanced.

LH Labs has no plans to address the issue since it is an Android issue.

Works fine using the single-ended connection as well as balanced out of the laptop with their driver.

This is on the low gain / IEM amp setting (blue light).

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #574 of 2,040
Using UAPP volume control should be fine, even balanced. It was from my Note 4 with the V2.

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #577 of 2,040
USB Audio Player Pro.

^ This.

Apologies for using the acronym, that's generally how the app is known here at Head-Fi.

If you do try it there are a few different settings for volume control (software and hardware both catered for).

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #578 of 2,040
Firstly, adjust the volume through UAPP's hardware volume first, and then exit UAPP. Geek out should memorize your volume setting until you unplug it. After this, if you still want to adjust it a little bit up or down, there is another APP called Fine Volume Control which allows you to adjust volume by one percent. (Unlike Android default, one click equals to 5% something) That is what I do with GO V1.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #579 of 2,040
Thanks. However, it does not show support for Google Music but only Tidal. It also does not show support for the any LH Labs products.

My phone works fine when I use the single ended connection on the v2+ but with the balanced output creates the problem.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #580 of 2,040
Thanks. However, it does not show support for Google Music but only Tidal. It also does not show support for the any LH Labs products.

My phone works fine when I use the single ended connection on the v2+ but with the balanced output creates the problem.

Workaround for Google Music is to use BubbleUPnP with UAPP. UAPP doesn't show support for LH Labs products, but like a good many they have not tested with they work nevertheless.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #582 of 2,040
Workaround for Google Music is to use BubbleUPnP with UAPP. UAPP doesn't show support for LH Labs products, but like a good many they have not tested with they work nevertheless.

Purchased BubbleUPnP and UAPP.  I haven't figured out the buffers yet but excluding that option, still have the same issue with 1 click  on  UAPP before it is too loud for me (gain under EQ is off in UAPP).  I will see if I can figure out if I can lower the buffer but I am not sure how that impacts volume.  I will say UAPP is very slow on my Galaxy S5.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #583 of 2,040
One solution that might work on the software side is get xposed framework and the module "volumesteps+". It lets you adjust the number of volume steps for media, ringer, etc. Though if youre not familiar with android its quite an involved process to get this working(root, flashing in recovvery, etc)

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.p1ngu1n.volumesteps

Purchased BubbleUPnP and UAPP.  I haven't figured out the buffers yet but excluding that option, still have the same issue with 1 click  on  UAPP before it is too loud for me (gain under EQ is off in UAPP).  I will see if I can figure out if I can lower the buffer but I am not sure how that impacts volume.  I will say UAPP is very slow on my Galaxy S5.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #584 of 2,040

Is this using the 100mW output, or 1000mW? If your headphones are efficient you'll only need the 100mW. Have you set UAPP to hardware volume control, where you can alter the master volume and then have more graduated volume control? Have a bit more of a look at the volume controls in UAPP I think.

No idea why it should be slow for you, it's fine here.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #585 of 2,040
Is this using the 100mW output, or 1000mW? If your headphones are efficient you'll only need the 100mW. Have you set UAPP to hardware volume control, where you can alter the master volume and then have more graduated volume control? Have a bit more of a look at the volume controls in UAPP I think.

No idea why it should be slow for you, it's fine here.

I can't comment on the volume part, but I use UAPP on my GS3 and it's fine. That's 2 generations behind your 5, so you shouldn't be having any issues. UAPP isn't a resource intensive app.

Oh, IMO the buffer will have zero effect on the usability of your volume control. It's a stability and sound reproduction edit, not a volume one.

Keep us posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back