LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
May 19, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,248 of 1,391
I'm confused about this. Can someone (or Larry) clarify what this means?

Like so. ..
9945739_thumb.png

Attachments

• Balanced.png
    Balanced.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #1,249 of 1,391
So I've just installed firmware version 2.0 on my Geek Out 2A infinity, and it seems to be working great, except that whenever I use the volume down button (formerly the gain selector), it mutes the audio for a second while it changes the volume. Has that happened to anyone else? I'm on Windows 10, with the latest driver (3.26).

Also, with the new auto gain feature, I've noticed that if I play music back with full volume through Foobar2000, I don't have to turn up the volume on the GO2A very high at all, so that it generally stays in the lowest gain stage (the blue light). Is there a disadvantage to listening in low gain, given that I'm listening mainly through my HD 6xxs, which are generally supposed to love more power, right?

Edit: I've noticed that the muting only happens when I push the volume down button while using the lowest gain setting. The higher stages appear to be unaffected (though it does mute when switching between stages, whether going up or down).
I have the same problem. Hopefully they will fix it or at least improve some in the 2.1 version. What my solution is to just leave the device as default and adjust volume on foobar. I do notice a little improve in sound quality so I will stick with the newer version.

May 23, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,250 of 1,391
Anyone received 2.1 firmware for a GO2Pro Infinity?

May 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,251 of 1,391
Yes, I opened a ticket this morning, and a support rep emailed me a file called GO2A_2V0_inf.bin within two hours.
Isn't that the 2.0 firmware and not the 2.1 firmware?

May 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #1,252 of 1,391
Isn't that the 2.0 firmware and not the 2.1 firmware?

Correct. I actually received the 2.1 update yesterday, and the muting problem has been resolved by that patch. I'm still not sure about the relative merits/disadvantages of running my 650s with the auto gain feature, particularly when listening to music mastered at a loud level, which means I spend some time in the lowest gain mode and rarely, if ever, reach the highest gain stage. But I do have to say that I like what this update did to the FRM filter. It seems just as smooth but has slightly better imaging, which may just be my confirmation bias doing its thing.

May 25, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #1,256 of 1,391
1) Single Ended connection is the same for FW 2.1
2) if you want a balanced connection into XLR, connect R/L +- from the Balanced Output, additonaly you connect the ground from the Single Ended Output for Pre-Amp use.
Not that complicated...

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #1,257 of 1,391
1) Single Ended connection is the same for FW 2.1
2) if you want a balanced connection into XLR you use the ground from the Single Ended Output.
Not that complicated...

I apologize, I'm not an electrical engineer and I'm pretty stupid when it comes to wires and hot and cold and grounding. All I wanted to know (without the snark) was what wires to use: could I continue to use a) Red/White RCA cables for single ended output (as normal) and b) my regular balanced XLR cables for balanced output (as normal from the balanced output jack). If there's anything else I need to know or change, let me know. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Larry's explanation wasn't exactly written in the clearest of English, so I was muddled on the explanation/terms/details of the update features.

If nothing has changed (for me), that's ALL I really wanted to know. If something else has changed for me, that's what I wanted to know too. As far as "using the ground from the Single Ended Output", [or, as Larry put it: "Also add and connect another cable to connect GO2Pro/GO2A’s ground to Preamp’s ground via TRS Singled-ended cable."]

I'm still confused on what exactly that means or how that relates to me or changes what i need to do to run balanced output.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #1,258 of 1,391
Anyone have a 2.1 firmware file for the GO2Pro Infinity? LH Labs support is ultra slow with providing the file to me and I've opened multiple tickets regarding it.

May 26, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,260 of 1,391
I've tried that too......no response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back