LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
May 29, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,262 of 1,391
I think we should start posting firmwares that people are receiving because LH Labs is notoriously slow to answer their support requests.

May 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,263 of 1,391
I think we should start posting firmwares that people are receiving because LH Labs is notoriously slow to answer their support requests.

Coincidentally, this is also a good argument for avoiding non-finalized firmwares from them. The volume feature is really tempting though :sweat_smile:

May 30, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #1,264 of 1,391
Hi All,
I have got a Geekout V2+.
I would like to know whether the 3.5 mm TRRS means the cable is balanced. I'm seeing an option to get cables for really cheap from here :
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=8

Anyone who has tried this. Want to see whether purchasing from here, and then plugging to the balanced port would lead to any issues. Is there anything which I need to be aware of, before plugging into the balanced output of a Geekout?

May 30, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #1,265 of 1,391
Hi All,
I would like to know whether the 3.5 mm TRRS means the cable is balanced. I'm seeing an option to get cables for really cheap from here :

Anyone who has tried this. Want to see whether purchasing from here, and then plugging to the balanced port would lead to any issues. Is there anything which I need to be aware of, before plugging into the balanced output of a Geekout?

Not sure to which cable/adapter you´re referring with the link.

This one?
1490345503002_-45594627.jpg

I´ve bought a 3.5mm TRRS to XLR adapter for my GO (and - case it arrives sometime - my Wave) as well as a XLR cable for my HD6xx from VE.
Checked the adapter and XLR cable and it works like a charm.
Must admit that the XLR cable is a bit stiff though.

Just make sure to tell them that the TRRS termination is accordingly to the one used by Hifiman:

8676206_thumb.jpg

If the termination is correct you don´t have to worry to plug it into the balance port :wink:

May 30, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #1,266 of 1,391
Hi All,

Yep, 3.5mm TRRS is correct for gov2+ balanced port. I've sent an e-mail to VE before about an adapter and they said it is L+R+L-R-, so you're good.

May 30, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #1,267 of 1,391
Yep, 3.5mm TRRS is correct for gov2+ balanced port. I've sent an e-mail to VE before about an adapter and they said it is L+R+L-R-, so you're good.

That's great to hear. I'm thinking of getting these. I'll contact VE before buying just to be sure. :)

Not sure to which cable/adapter you´re referring with the link.

This one?

I´ve bought a 3.5mm TRRS to XLR adapter for my GO (and - case it arrives sometime - my Wave) as well as a XLR cable for my HD6xx from VE.
Checked the adapter and XLR cable and it works like a charm.
Must admit that the XLR cable is a bit stiff though.

Just make sure to tell them that the TRRS termination is accordingly to the one used by Hifiman:

If the termination is correct you don´t have to worry to plug it into the balance port :wink:

Yeah, something similar. Instead of mmcx, the input end would be 2.5 mm (HD 700) (with regards to the image) :)

If I understand correctly, the only problem with TRRS is that for unbalanced output (such as phones or normal audio jacks of laptop etc..), audio will come from only one channel. Is that correct? If so, would having a generic 3.5 mm female to male adaptor allow to plug into other devices?

EDIT: Is there any benefit to having XLR instead of 3.5 mm (I'm not planning or going to have any devices with XLR inputs)

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,268 of 1,391
That's great to hear. I'm thinking of getting these. I'll contact VE before buying just to be sure. :)

Yeah, something similar. Instead of mmcx, the input end would be 2.5 mm (HD 700) (with regards to the image) :)

If I understand correctly, the only problem with TRRS is that for unbalanced output (such as phones or normal audio jacks of laptop etc..), audio will come from only one channel. Is that correct? If so, would having a generic 3.5 mm female to male adaptor allow to plug into other devices?

EDIT: Is there any benefit to having XLR instead of 3.5 mm (I'm not planning or going to have any devices with XLR inputs)

Not sure if you "just" have audio via one channel or if you brick something. Maybe others can chime in here.

Regarding the XLR:
I bought an additional 4pin male XLR ("balanced") cable for my HD6xx (to use it with an external HP amp).
In order to use the HD6xx "balanced" with my GO (or the Wave) it requires the addtional 4pin female XLR to 3.5mm TRRS adapter.

Guess VE offers also a cable for the HD6xx with TRRS but this doesn´t fit my use case.

Hope that clarifies it.

May 30, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,269 of 1,391
Hi All,

Yes, if the cable is terminated with a 3.5 mm TRRS it's balanced and VE uses the "Hifiman" pin layout. I've got several balanced cables and adapters from them and I'm very happy with them.

Now you can also choose what kind of cable you'd like so that you can opt for a thin and flexible on if desired.

May 30, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #1,270 of 1,391

Sorry, I had not refreshed the page so I missed this post when writing my previous one. You'd need a adapter to use the balanced terminated (TRRS) 2.5 or 3.5 mm with a single ended source. I've also got a very nice balanced cable from VE for my HD700, I'll post some pictures tonight when I'm back home.

May 30, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,271 of 1,391
Sorry, I had not refreshed the page so I missed this post when writing my previous one. You'd need a adapter to use the balanced terminated (TRRS) 2.5 or 3.5 mm with a single ended source. I've also got a very nice balanced cable from VE for my HD700, I'll post some pictures tonight when I'm back home.

That'd be great. I'm getting confused with all the options for the cable. For HD700, I guess the following would work:
Cable Type: Headphone/Earphone Cables
Connector/Plug: 2.5 mm for HD 700
Plug: 3.5 mm TRRS straight (by opting for this, all i need is a generic 3.5 mm female to male adaptor, for making it work with other SE devices; don't need XLR as no other amp requiring it)
Cable: Basic B Wire/(Junkosha Silver/Red Wire*4/8)/Black Litz Wire*4/Expresso Wire (only 1.2 M with expresso)

Any inputs on which cable would be good?

May 30, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,272 of 1,391
Anyone knows if LHLabs still in business ! my Pulse XFI is broken and only thing I hear from headphones is a buzzing sound, I tried everything changing usb cable, headphones, connectors, source so I suspect my XFI is having an issue I also opened a support ticket on LHLABs and since from last two weeks no response. Any idea if there is way to get support from LHLabs.

May 30, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,273 of 1,391
I also have a VE balanced cable that I used on the daily.

Whether it's in my head or actual sound improvement, my shockwave iii's like the balanced out with the junkosha red cable. Not so much the Litz or the espresso cable.

May 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,274 of 1,391
This is what my HD700 cable from VE looks like:

20170530_180026.jpg

20170530_180038.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not sure what cable this is as it was sent to me to get my feedback on it (I've bought most of my other VE cables myself though) but I'll ask Lee what it is and let you know.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #1,275 of 1,391
I have VE Asura terminated 3.5mm TRRS and works with my GOV2's... if it says Sony ZX2 for the balanced configuration that is also the same as HiFiMan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back