LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Oct 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #586 of 1,391
  Does anyone have any experience using the single-ended or balanced output of the GOV2 into an external amplifier? How did it compare to using the internal amp?

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

That is a very good question. I myself have tried my Ember tube amp as an external amp with the V2+ at a meet, and, at least under these semi-noisy conditions, the results were inconclusive which sounded better. However I'll bet if using the V2 with a TOTL kick-a** amp, the V2 would be taken to another level. Any more impressions for people who have done this?

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #587 of 1,391
  That is a very good question. I myself have tried my Ember tube amp as an external amp with the V2+ at a meet, and, at least under these semi-noisy conditions, the results were inconclusive which sounded better. However I'll bet if using the V2 with a TOTL kick-a** amp, the V2 would be taken to another level. Any more impressions for people who have done this?

I've not done it, but I believe connection to external amps was intended to be done via the balanced connection?

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #588 of 1,391
  I can't seem to find the TRRS plug on LunaShops that this unit needs for using the balanced output. can anyone link me to it?

You mean this?

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5003

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #589 of 1,391
  You mean this?

That's the one, not sure why people having so much trouble finding it when they know the website selling them.

Perhaps my Google-Fu is unusually strong?

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #590 of 1,391

That's the one, not sure why people having so much trouble finding it when they know the website selling them.

Perhaps my Google-Fu is unusually strong?

I think people are looking for a cable terminated in TRRS termination...without the XLR adapter. The way I understand its possible to have your headphone cable terminated in the TRRS ending rather than XLR, right?

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #591 of 1,391

I'm crazy since I've already got the Mjolnir 2, but I'm thinking of keeping my order for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and pairing it up with the GOV2.

The GOV2 should arrive in the next week or so. I'll order that TRRS to female 4 pin XLR adapter and see how the balanced output handles the HD650's and HD800's. It might be good enough so that I don't need the Liquid Carbon.

I'll also compare the single ended output from the GOV2 to the Valhalla 2 vs the internal balanced output.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #592 of 1,391
  You mean this?

no need for xlr

more like this i think http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5135

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #593 of 1,391
You can't run balanced to unbalanced unless the amp is transformer coupled, it damages the amp/headphones.  I don't know the exact technicals, maybe miceblue can jump in

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #594 of 1,391
  You can't run balanced to unbalanced unless the amp is transformer coupled, it damages the amp/headphones.  I don't know the exact technicals, maybe miceblue can jump in

so it's not safe to do even with the correct TRRS plug? i'm a layman here so just trying to understand

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #595 of 1,391
  so it's not safe to do even with the correct TRRS plug? i'm a layman here so just trying to understand

That's the wrong size TRRS plug even if it were safe.  It's not safe plus the V2 uses a 3.5mm TRRS, not a 2.5mm male plug.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #596 of 1,391
Forgive my question, but even after reading through all the charts, I'm still unclear on the differences between these. Can someone explain what I get for my money between the varying models? Assuming I just wanted to use this DAC for, say, Sennheiser 558/600 headphones on my PC and/or my stereo system which gets its music from a computer.

Right now I have a Geek Out 450 so I'm looking to upgrade.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #597 of 1,391
You mean differences between the V2 and V2+?

The V2+ runs off battery power, making it suitable for use with portable devices like smartphones, the V2 does not run on its own battery, instead drawing power from the USB connection.

The V2+ is of course larger given the internal battery, which is currently delaying it's arrival as it's more difficult to 3D print and they are reworking the chassis.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #598 of 1,391
You mean differences between the V2 and V2+?

The V2+ runs off battery power, making it suitable for use with portable devices like smartphones, the V2 does not run on its own battery, instead drawing power from the USB connection.

Is that generally the only difference? What are the Infinity models for? What's the advantage to them? Just an extra gain stage?

It looks like at this point I'd just be going for the V2 Infinity if that's the case....

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #599 of 1,391
Is that generally the only difference? What are the Infinity models for? What's the advantage to them?

The Infinity models have an extra output setting (450mw), which may be beneficial if you need the volume control for medium sensitivity cans, they also have slightly lower distortion I think, but I doubt that difference is audible. As far as I'm concerned the Infinity models do nowhere near enough to justify their price premium.

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #600 of 1,391
The Infinity models have an extra output setting (450mw), which may be beneficial if you need the volume control for medium sensitivity cans, they also have slightly lower distortion I think, but I doubt that difference is audible. As far as I'm concerned the Infinity models do nowhere near enough to justify their price premium.

I'm using Sennheiser 558s and they seem to work great with the Geek Out 450. Would the Infinity then be the closest to the 450 then as far as performance/power goes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back