LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,306 of 1,391
I bought the espresso, 4 Core litz and 4 Core Junkosha.

My shockwave iii's are W-shaped; the junkosha paired best.

The litz made everything thin and hollow. The espresso was a lesser Junkosha.

I'm pretty sure the Litz was made for a Sennheiser headphone......you might want to look Into that.

Would be great if you can post some pictures. If off-topic, do pm :)

Those having HE-560, can you let me know how it fares with Geekout V2+ (with balanced out).
I'll most likely be getting the 560's. Would be interested to know. I saw it being mentioned that HE-560 have good synergy with Geekout V2+ on balanced out, but some other claims that the treble is too hard with Geekouts.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,308 of 1,391
Would be great if you can post some pictures. If off-topic, do pm :)

Those having HE-560, can you let me know how it fares with Geekout V2+ (with balanced out).
I'll most likely be getting the 560's. Would be interested to know. I saw it being mentioned that HE-560 have good synergy with Geekout V2+ on balanced out, but some other claims that the treble is too hard with Geekouts.
Pics of just the wires?

All of the wires, minus the espresso, are very stiff.

These aren't consumer friendly wires, but they are, imo, best bang for buck wires, if you can live with the drawbacks i.e. coil memory, stiffness, etc.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,309 of 1,391
Pics of just the wires?

All of the wires, minus the espresso, are very stiff.

These aren't consumer friendly wires, but they are, imo, best bang for buck wires, if you can live with the drawbacks i.e. coil memory, stiffness, etc.

Yeah, I meant the wires so that I could a better understanding of which wire to buy. Espresso seems to be the cheapest and if they are actually better in terms of handling, would you suggest expresso over others?

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,310 of 1,391
SQ was the most important thing for me, I can deal with the annoyances.

What IEM / HP do you have?

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #1,312 of 1,391
I have IEMs, Musicmaker Shockwave III.

If you're using HP's, the stiffness of the cable doesn't impact you as much as it impacts me, since I have to wrap the cable around my ear.

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #1,313 of 1,391
Is anyone having the issue (as of today) where the 2A is now too LOW in volume? I was using my headphones today and where I used to be able to run my 2A at volume level 10-15 and have it PLENTY loud for my headphones, all the sudden I'm having to crank it up to almost 50-ish before I get it loud enough? I'm running it on my bookshelf studio monitors and I'm getting the same thing --- I used to be able to run it at about 35 and it was loud. Now I'm having to go to 50 and it's STILL not loud enough? Is this a Windows update thing?

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #1,314 of 1,391
Is anyone having the issue (as of today) where the 2A is now too LOW in volume? I was using my headphones today and where I used to be able to run my 2A at volume level 10-15 and have it PLENTY loud for my headphones, all the sudden I'm having to crank it up to almost 50-ish before I get it loud enough? I'm running it on my bookshelf studio monitors and I'm getting the same thing --- I used to be able to run it at about 35 and it was loud. Now I'm having to go to 50 and it's STILL not loud enough? Is this a Windows update thing?
Did you update yours to v2.1?

Maybe Windows is reducing your volume because of calls. Have you ticked the option "Do Nothing" on last tab in sounds option?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,317 of 1,391
So... If I were to buy a geek out, would you recommend a gov v2+ or a gov2a?

The 2a is a bit better than v2 I assume?

But having battery should in itself improve sound quality?

How much does a 2a drain from a smartphone if I were sometimes to use that combination?

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #1,318 of 1,391

How much does a 2a drain from a smartphone if I were sometimes to use that combination?

I'd recommend the 2A, because I don't trust batteries. Also, my friend had the v2+ and it was glitching out on him.

The 2A is not recommended for smartphone use - you can use it like that, but it will drain your battery like crazy. The V2+ is designed for smartphones. I'm sure it's fine, I just wouldn't get it --- but others have it and have zero issues. The one I referenced could have been anything.

The 2A and the V2+ are identical except for a battery.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #1,320 of 1,391

Really depends on if you want battery or not. I've heard the 2A gets pretty hot while operating, probably depends on what you plug in though. My gov2+ infinity barely gets warm even during hot weather. Spec wise, v2+ infinity, gov2a, gov2a infinity are the same while the infinity versions get additional gain & filter setting. Non-infinity gov2+ does not get THD treatment. Using an internal battery as power source can be annoying to charge 8~10 hours, but can help with EMI issues ex) laptop noise. If you plan to use with phone, it is also a plus. However, one thing to consider if you live outside US is the ability to ship electronic devices with battery inside for RMA purpose. Law varies by country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back