LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
May 15, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,201 of 1,391
installed the infinity firmware onto my geek out v2+ (non infinity) and it works great! also tried the standard edition and it worked as well. Guess there is no difference?

Only thing I notice is when changing volume down while music is playing it seems to "skip" (no sound heard) and changes the volume slowly while when turning the volume up there is no "skip" and sound can still be heard. Weird. any insight on this?

update-

my geekout v2+ (regular)

now has a third gain stage and another filter! same as infinity version!

(flashed with the infinity go2apro firmware)
LOL.

I guess I should've bought a regular GO2Pro. Maybe you couldn't buy a regular one? I dunno.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,203 of 1,391
Maybe you have it now too lol!

May 15, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,204 of 1,391
Modifying the translation based on my usage with the GO2Pro 2.0 Firmware.

After considering input from the fans, Light Harmonic has introduced the brand new V2.0 firmware for the GO2 series.

A few features have been overhauled in the new firmware:
1) Volume Adjustment
2) Line Out mode
3) Intelligent Gain mode
4) Filter selection
5) V2.0 Filters

1) Volume Adjustment
128 step volume control using digital attenuation + analogue gain adjustment * (see 3)

2) Line Out mode
Hold Vol+ until the filter mode shines green (Green LED + Red (and possibly Blue) shines in the Filter LED). Amplification + volume sections is bypassed in this mode, with a maximum SE output of 3.2V
(For balanced output, please use TRRS + TRS to XLR cables, using the L+ L- R+ R- signals from the TRRS connection and the ground from the TRS connection)

3) Intelligent Gain mode
The GO2 series will increase gain automatically once you hit the -2.0dB mark of the current gain. I.E., if you are in low gain and you increase the volume to -2.0dB, it will switch automatically to medium gain.

4) Filter selection
Press Vol+ and Vol- simultaneously to change filter modes. They will cycle in the order of: TCM (green) -> SSM (red) -> FTM/FRM (blue) (My order is blue (default) -> red -> green)

5) V2.0 Filters
Based of the Da Vinci Mk2's DSD engine, we created something similar for the GO2 series. This leads to a new experience, especially in FTM/FRM mode, with even smoother highs and better imaging. DSD playback in TCM mode has better frequency extension

May 15, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,205 of 1,391
With Intelligent Gain, I wonder if they're using the highest gain possible at each dB level?

Hmm.....seems like there is a GO2Pro Signature Edition, I wonder how much that cost.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,206 of 1,391
Signature Editions have Dual Femto Clocks

Yep... own a GO2A SE myself but no FTM is available. Only SSM, TCM and FRM.
I asked a while ago the question to Manny - who is, as we all heard by now, no longer at LHL - if this FTM can also be implemented via FW upgrade. His answer was:

"This can only be applied to larger DAC ESS chips like Pulse and Vi.In your Signature Edition the Femtos are tailored for best performance in your SE firmware. "

So maybe was was wrong and now it's possible?

All GO2As have femto clocks.

Hmm.. where is that mentioned? On their GO2A store page they only mention the following :
"Geek Out 2A doesn’t let noise get into the signal thanks to its regulated bipolar power supply and extremely accurate dual clocks."

Since "Femto clock" was always a selling argument from LHL in all their campaigns I'm wondering that they haven't explicitly mentioned it anywhere.

Hence I doubt that those accurate clocks are Femtos.
But maybe I'm mistaken.

@Larry Ho would be great if you can chime in and shed some light on this.
Maybe you can also say something to the new FW and its functionality as well as to which GO models (including the SE) it's applicable and how we can get it officially?

Edit: since the GO2A SE has a "custom matched firmware" would I loose something if I would try FW2.0 or won't you recommend this, Larry? Or will there maybe be a special SE FW coming soon?

Edit: just saw on the Chinese forumpage that also a 2.0FW version for GO2A SE is available and that in another - English - forum a FW2.1 is mentioned which some users already use (not clear to me yet if this 2.1v is also applicable /available for the GO2A SE.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #1,207 of 1,391
What are the differences between the GOV2 and the GO2A?

What about the GOV2+ and the GO2Pro?

May 16, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #1,208 of 1,391
I think the go2pro only has femto clocks. I didn't see anything about it for other products like go2a or gov2+.
One thing that is very important, is the volume retained after on/off cycle and does this firmware only support go2pro?

May 16, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #1,209 of 1,391
Where did you get that the GO2Pro has a femto clock?

May 16, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #1,210 of 1,391
What are the differences between the GOV2 and the GO2A?

What about the GOV2+ and the GO2Pro?
Screen_Shot_2015-05-05_at_17.27.11_1024x1024.png

You can expect same performance from GOV2A (inf. and non-inf.) of GOV2+ INF., but it's obviously not battery powered. Main difference of gov2 and gov2+ is battery. Main difference of gov2+ and gov2a is also battery. Others are THD treatment, gain, and filter options.

I swear I saw the go2pro having femto clocks somewhere when it was announced, but can't find any detailed spec.

Edit: Go2pro inf or non inf does not have femto clocks.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #1,211 of 1,391
Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,212 of 1,391
Here is the link for the 2.0 fireware for both GO2A and GO2PRO:
http://www.yosemine.com.cn/thread-495-1-1.html
The instruction is in Chinese.

If you want to change filter options press both keys at the same time [TCM (green) -> SSM (red) -> FTM/FRM (blue)]
They indicate that this is a 2.0 digital pattern, expecially in FTM/FRM mode the sound quality is improved and better frequency response replaying DSD files.

If you want line out mode, press and hold volume control + button (it used to be the button to change filter options) until the filter LED light turns green.
Thank you! Shall try tonight. Do I use the go2pro firmware for gov2+?

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #1,213 of 1,391
You can expect same performance from GOV2A (inf. and non-inf.) of GOV2+ INF., but it's obviously not battery powered. Main difference of gov2 and gov2+ is battery. Main difference of gov2+ and gov2a is also battery. Others are THD treatment, gain, and filter options.

I swear I saw the go2pro having femto clocks somewhere when it was announced, but can't find any detailed spec.

Hmm...I always thought only the Signature Editions would have Femto clocks?!?!

May 16, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,215 of 1,391
I have no idea...can't find any information on signature edition spec.

..only for the GO2A SE: http://marketplace-lhlabs.com/lh-labs-go2a-signature-edition/

Edit:I found also some other information about the GO2ASE from a LHL ad mail:

What makes our GO2A Signature Edition special?
  1. Addition of dual Femto Clocks and hand matched DAC IC's.
  2. Cutting edge Murata Ultra low-noise capacitors.
  3. Champagne anodized finished aluminum T6061 chassis
  4. Firmware to accommodate updated components, custom-built by Larry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back