LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #121 of 371
I'm definitely somebody that likes a slightly warmer sound than the clinical sound I kind of prefer Burr Brown chips over ESS.

Good point Chris that is John's opinion I mean I think he's an excellent excellent reviewer but you're right just because he likes it doesn't mean I will he did say it's the Cobalt is a more Airy open Sound and the red dragonfly is a more faster kind of energetic sound.

I'm just trying to see what people have plugged into this thing other than just listening to the v40 straight out through the headphone jack I know people have messed with it and probably tried red dragonfly Cobalt dragonfly btr5 it probably tried everything.

I'm in no way saying the v40 sounds bad or the v50 basically the same phone with a better battery I'm not saying is I'm bad at all they actually sound pretty darn good but I prefer a little bit warmer a sound.

I'm very curious to try and plug in some other small dacs that's why I'm trying to get a little feedback that would kind of point me in the right direction two more of my kind of sound without having the trial hole can full of them.
Don't misunderstand my writing about John, i like him too.
But as with every reviewer, it is hard to imagine what he's imagine for himself. :)
Watched him frequently and learned a lot.
So thanks to John.

Could be that there're subtle changes, can't say anything bout that.

Maybe a mojo will bring a drastically change to the sound signature with a warmer touch.
Or the BTR3K, to stay with Fiio. :wink:

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #123 of 371
He uses the LG v40 and the L gv30 as a network streamer and he uses the other phone for the remote control and then he hooks up a dragonfly to it and runs it into his amp through his Klipsch speakers.

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #124 of 371
He uses the LG v40 and the L gv30 as a network streamer and he uses the other phone for the remote control and then he hooks up a dragonfly to it and runs it into his amp through his Klipsch speakers.
I saw this clip too. :wink:
It's a well made small Hifi-system with a very small footprint.

If you own a V30, 40, 50 , you don't need to throw your money to the trash for "mobile" music enjoyment, except wireless purposes.
Of course that's my opinion. :wink:

For serious listening @home i prefer a decent dac/amp bc the V-series can't deliver the power some headphones need to shine.
But that belongs more to the amp section, i think.

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #125 of 371
Yeah I think I agree the v40 v50 is good for when you're outside sitting in the park or whatever with a good pair of iems. I think it's plenty sufficient for doing that but I agree at home you need a good DAC amp combo to drive headphones.

I'm not real big on taken full size cans outside I leave those for home out on the road in the street from good iems is good.

I think the best thing I've probably ever heard is the hd650 shared with the schitt audio jotunheim, that was a sweet setup.

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #126 of 371
John also has some reviews on those campfire audio Andromeda, I hear a lot of good things about those from these guys that are in the Super Hi-Fi audio and got money to blow I just went on the website those things are $1,000 a pair I bet they sound good for $1,000.

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #127 of 371
I have just received the LG V50 (European version). Unfortunately, it can't drive my Audio Technica MSR7 headphones to a decent volume with Tidal app (and DAC switched on). I have tried to plug and unplug the left earcup and I have to set the max volume to get only low volume in my MSR7... How do I set the high power output in the V50?
In addition, UAPP does not recognize the internal V50 DAC (direct mode always..) Anyone has a solution? Thanks

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #128 of 371
So after going back and forth I finally ended up just getting the v50 I just picked it up today.

My thoughts on it it feels like a much more premium phone in the v40 it's much heavier and thicker probably due to the battery in the 5G but it feels a lot better in the hands.

I will say that the phone's external sound just on the speakers on the phone are not as good as the v40 on the v50 they sound very tender and it's all treble no Bass does not sound good the v40 sounded much better.

I will say the battery life on the v50 is night and day compared to the v40 I don't sit there and watch it if drain and drain and drain like I did on the v40 so the battery life on the v50 is substantially better.

The speaker phone does not sound as good as the v40 did the v50 speakerphone is worse.

As far as the music goes through the DAC it's the same DAC there's no difference when you plug in the headphones to exact same sound so there's some trade-offs but I'm very happy that feels more premium and the battery life is the biggest issue I had so I'm happy.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #129 of 371
I don't know what they did to the lgv50 they change the sound on the external speakers I had the v40 in the v40 sounded very decent

The v50 has no bass whatsoever it's like so troubled out on the external speaker is there a way to enable boombox I don't see any settings to turn on Boombox I don't know what they did to this phone compared to the v40

Let me know if any of you know is there a way to turn on Boombox I don't see any settings I can't find anything to turn it on not that I listen to the sound that much externally but it sounds horrendous

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #130 of 371
I have just received the LG V50 (European version). Unfortunately, it can't drive my Audio Technica MSR7 headphones to a decent volume with Tidal app (and DAC switched on). I have tried to plug and unplug the left earcup and I have to set the max volume to get only low volume in my MSR7... How do I set the high power output in the V50?
In addition, UAPP does not recognize the internal V50 DAC (direct mode always..) Anyone has a solution? Thanks
Do you have latest uapp version? It should see v50 hi res dac and in eq you'll also have the gain option.

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #132 of 371
Go to play store and either search for uapp and update or go to notifications and it will show all apps that should be updated. You might wanna turn on these notifications, for updates so you will always know when an app has a new version. But do not activate auto update so when your on mobile data no data is used, update via WiFi only.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #133 of 371
OK, I have fixed the problem with the MSR7 volume in the V50. As commented, you have first to plug in the headphone cable and the quadDAC automatically sets in "AUX" mode (I had to purchase the 'LG HiFi status' app to see it). Then you connect the other end to the MSR7 left earcup and there you are, a bit more volume in TIDAL app!. It is a pitty that you cannot set the quadDAC gain or impedance from any V50 settings!. It sounds really good this V50 in TIDAL.
However, the UAPP (Android 10) 'sees' the quadDAC as a "Direct output" of the mobile. I asked the developer and he told me that it was OK, because the internal quadDAC is on, and UAPP enables it automatically under "direct output". However, I think there is a problem with DSD direct playback in UAPP (Android 10 related) and althought the V50 plays these files, I get much better sound quality in the LG music app. Anyway, the V50 drives my IEMs (FiiO FH7, JVC FX850) really good, with very high detail and bass. The only drawback in sound features of my V50 is the mediocre volume of phone calls, is not very high (less than my Samsung S7)...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #134 of 371
I agree with you 100% the speaker phone and the external volume with music playing through the speakers on the v50 is atrocious it's terrible.

The phone lacks any kind of Lacks any kind of bass on musical playback through the speakers even on phone calls it just sounds it's all treble and you're right there's no volume kind of a deal-breaker for me doesn't function very well with a daily phone.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #135 of 371
It seems that the volume in the V50 European version (LM-V500EM) is capped (max volume 73 with headphones in AUX mode) in several apps (Tidal). Music volume is higher and sound quality seems much better using the LG music app and UAPP (even using Tidal through UAPP) at 60% of max. volume with my Audio Technica MSR7. Anyone is experiencing the same issue?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back