LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
May 21, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #106 of 371
Hi all. I'm a newbie to LG phones. Considering V50 or 60. Only for its FM Radio feature and the great DAC. Need some facts from owners.

1) Does the music rom FM stations go through the great DAC inside it or bypass it?

2) Can one jump from one FM radio station preset to another using physical side buttons?
1. The quad DAC sound, DTS-X 3D Surround is only available for music playback.
2. You cannot use the side buttons to skip radio presents, however all the stations are saved in right order and you can access them at any time and there is RDS function.

May 30, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #108 of 371
The lgv40 and the lgv50 share the exact same DAC chip so they don't sound any different they sound the same they're both tuned by Meridian with the same chip there is zero difference .

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #109 of 371
Hi,
I am considering to buy the LG V50 to use it with TIDAL/UAPP and Audio Technica MSR7 headphones like. I have read the thread and it seems that someone had problems with power output using MSR7 with the LG V50... Has the V50 enough power to drive the MSR7? Did finally TIDAL with UAPP work with the internal V50 DAC? Thanks for your help.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #110 of 371
what I want to know is anybody ever taking he fiio btr5 or the IFI Zen DAC and plug them into a phone and listen to them I'm wondering how they compared to straight out of the v40 or v50 which sounds better?

I've heard some people say that the BTR5 sounds better than the quad DAC but it doesn't have to power up the quad DAC is anybody ever ran this test I just be real curious what your results are.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #111 of 371
Hi,
I am considering to buy the LG V50 to use it with TIDAL/UAPP and Audio Technica MSR7 headphones like. I have read the thread and it seems that someone had problems with power output using MSR7 with the LG V50... Has the V50 enough power to drive the MSR7? Did finally TIDAL with UAPP work with the internal V50 DAC? Thanks for your help.
No problem with the V30, so V50 should be fine.
Unplug the left earcup, or use an extension cable, before you plug the headphone cable to the V50.
You'll have a very noticeable jump on power output, if necessary.
Tidal works fine with Uapp and V-Series. :wink:

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #113 of 371
what I want to know is anybody ever taking he fiio btr5 or the IFI Zen DAC and plug them into a phone and listen to them I'm wondering how they compared to straight out of the v40 or v50 which sounds better?

I've heard some people say that the BTR5 sounds better than the quad DAC but it doesn't have to power up the quad DAC is anybody ever ran this test I just be real curious what your results are.
Mainly, it depends on the headphone you're going to use with.
BTR5 works best with balanced connection and it has twice the power of the Quad dac on V-series.
For me, it sounds very equal with a solid bottom in regard to this little device.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #114 of 371
So you're saying the fiio btr5 unbalanced power-wise definitely beats the lgv40 v50 but sound wise their close. I follow a guy on YouTube named John Darko very good high-end audio reviewer and he has the v40 and the v30 . He says that when he hooks up the Cobalt dragonfly cuz of E30 of the v40 the sound definitely improves even the red dragonfly improve the sound.

I guess what I'm trying to do is I'm just trying to figure out as far as small little dacs you can hook up how much you can improve the sound over the quad DAC and I'm not talkin full-sized Axe and I'll just small ones BTR V es100 things like that.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #115 of 371
Hey Chris I'm ordering those pioneer IEM he recommended going to take them for a spin see what they sound like.
Nice.
Curios about your impressions. :)
I'm going to order a balanced cable for my CH9T to figure out how the sound will change on the Btr5 compared to the stock one.
Will test it with my Monitor 5 within the next days.
But the CH9T should be a different story, i guess.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #116 of 371
I'm assuming you're talking about the sound on the btr5 are you talking like using ldac or Bluetooth r u talkin directly wiring it into the v40?.

I'm a firm believer that ldac and all of those codex are not as good as directly wired I've watched several reviews on the btr5 where they claim it's noticeably different when you plug it in versus Bluetooth.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #117 of 371
So you're saying the fiio btr5 unbalanced power-wise definitely beats the lgv40 v50 but sound wise their close. I follow a guy on YouTube named John Darko very good high-end audio reviewer and he has the v40 and the v30 . He says that when he hooks up the Cobalt dragonfly cuz of E30 of the v40 the sound definitely improves even the red dragonfly improve the sound.

I guess what I'm trying to do is I'm just trying to figure out as far as small little dacs you can hook up how much you can improve the sound over the quad DAC and I'm not talkin full-sized Axe and I'll just small ones BTR V es100 things like that.
Keep in mind that this is John's opinion. :wink:
How much will the DFR or DFC alter the sound signature to the V-40?
Does he like a warmer touch to the sound instead of clean, sometimes more clinical sounding devices? Than yes, his opinion will be serious, to him. :)
It doesn't mean that this will be your impression.
I don't know the sound out of the AQ pens, so i'm not the right person to talk with.
Maybe someone with better knowledge of the AQ devices can chime in. :wink:

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #118 of 371
I'm definitely somebody that likes a slightly warmer sound than the clinical sound I kind of prefer Burr Brown chips over ESS.

Good point Chris that is John's opinion I mean I think he's an excellent excellent reviewer but you're right just because he likes it doesn't mean I will he did say it's the Cobalt is a more Airy open Sound and the red dragonfly is a more faster kind of energetic sound.

I'm just trying to see what people have plugged into this thing other than just listening to the v40 straight out through the headphone jack I know people have messed with it and probably tried red dragonfly Cobalt dragonfly btr5 it probably tried everything.

I'm in no way saying the v40 sounds bad or the v50 basically the same phone with a better battery I'm not saying is I'm bad at all they actually sound pretty darn good but I prefer a little bit warmer a sound.

I'm very curious to try and plug in some other small dacs that's why I'm trying to get a little feedback that would kind of point me in the right direction two more of my kind of sound without having the trial hole can full of them.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #119 of 371

I forgot your first part on the quote.

The btr5 is twice the power on balanced, but a little less on unbalanced compared to the V-Series.
Soundwise, they're on par, imo.

I don't use the Btr5 wired to my V30.
It doesn't make sense to me. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back