LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #151 of 371
I am hesitant to buy another LG phone. I have the LG G8, and I bought it thinking it could do double duty as a DAP, but they have this completely idiotic feature which reduces the output volume on lower impedence phones, which you can supposedly get around by using a short headphone jack extender. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I was so mad when I found this out. Don't freakin' brick my volume LG!

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #152 of 371
Upgraded also to V50 from V20. Disabled updates since UAPP had problems on LG G8/V50 and up w/ Android 10 (don't know w/ 11) . Remained on Android 9.

I too jumped to the V50 from my carrier V40 ill-advised updated to the infernal Android 10. For about $300 it was a brand new Sprint unlocked model with a build date of 7/2020--and we are well aware that was the final phone line not to have some kind of audio neutering done to it by LG (removal of DTS-X/MQA/Native DSD, etc). Unfortunately, that recent date meant the OS had been upgraded to Android 10 from 9 from the start--which we all know can't happen. Since it is fully unlocked that leaves a possible option...so...

My question to the braniacs here: Since i have 30 days for return and it is app-free, can anyone explain/DM me and tell me exactly the current steps i can do & files I need to revert the OS back to Android 9 without bricking it? :)

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #153 of 371
Hey everyone,
Sorry very late to the party here.
I still have a V20 and was considering upgrading to the V50 as they're pretty cheap by now.
Is it worth it? I'm happy with the sound of my phone but it is getting old and I have some screen ghosting etc.. Some aps run slow.
Can anyone compare the sound? If the V20 is supposedly better, I'll just keep it and live with the little problems.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #154 of 371
Have upgraded from V20 to V50. The sound is better. What I missed are 2 things: removable battery and the dual sim + dedicated microsd slot. Other things are great.

Just immediately turn off all updates from the system and developer settings to remain in Android 9. Otherwise will loose audio High Res functionality.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #155 of 371
Have upgraded from V20 to V50. The sound is better. What I missed are 2 things: removable battery and the dual sim + dedicated microsd slot. Other things are great.

Just immediately turn off all updates from the system and developer settings to remain in Android 9. Otherwise will loose audio High Res functionality.
It's just a problem with DSD files on Android 10, am I right?

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #156 of 371
I bought a phone with a completely discharged battery. It came from Italian distribution. Has anyone had a similar problem? I am wondering about the returning.. the battery doesn't look good compared to the V30.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #157 of 371
I bought a phone with a completely discharged battery. It came from Italian distribution. Has anyone had a similar problem? I am wondering about the returning.. the battery doesn't look good compared to the V30.
Sadly the lg v50 have very low battery life . I have to recharge this smartphone two times during the day . I am thinking of buying the poco f2 pro , but don't know about the sound quality.

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #158 of 371
Do you guys think that is original box?
20201230_234540.jpg

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #161 of 371
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #162 of 371
Just got a V50 and enjoying lots but one issue - my Solaris 2020 sounds great on UAPP but the same material played on Tidal or Qobuz directly has some noticeable hiss during quieter tracks that isn"t there on UAPP. Anyone know of a way to fix this? I know I can pipe both streaming services through UAPP but I need the Tidal/Qobuz apps to play downloaded music when out and about whixh is when I dio most of my listening. No such issue when using my previous IEM with the V50 or indeed using Tidal/Qobuz with the Solaris with my previous LGV30 phone but its ideally a pairing of Solaris with the V50 listening directly to Tidal/Qobuz without hiss that I"m after . Can anyone help?

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #163 of 371
After using the V50 phone, I'm really annoyed with it. I was hoping it would be my primary phone for usage with iem/BT headphones, and I realized it cannot. I've been having connection issues with my BT earphone, and it's really annoying during my jogs. I didn't have such issues with Galaxy S.

I use a sport monitor on my wrist and BT doesn't register so well with it either.

I'm disappointed with the stock earphones that came with it as well. Very cheap feel to it. It seems like the inline mic on WIRED headset doesn't work so well. My Galaxy S headset worked really well that nobody complained about the sound it was picking up, and the sound so good for practical usage.

LG pay doesn't support banks/cards I use. I will be back on Samsung due to practical issues.

Also, the display is like old gen quality. It looks like display quality from Samsung Note 4. It has too much color shifting on the white when you angle it. We all know Samsung display is quality compared to anything out there.

Also, I really like the led indictors on Samsung. It keeps me always aware of messages that comes in. LG should adopt such useful feature.

Also the cell signal seems less reliable as well. When I make a call, it has a long delay before it rings. Why is it slow like this?

I may keep it just for audio, but likely not. I really need primary phone function to be reliable and work well for me to use it for audio as well. Now I realize with phones, audio is secondary. It's not like the quad DAC is mind-blowingly good.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #165 of 371
After using the V50 phone, I'm really annoyed with it. I was hoping it would be my primary phone for usage with iem/BT headphones, and I realized it cannot. I've been having connection issues with my BT earphone, and it's really annoying during my jogs. I didn't have such issues with Galaxy S.

I use a sport monitor on my wrist and BT doesn't register so well with it either.

I'm disappointed with the stock earphones that came with it as well. Very cheap feel to it. It seems like the inline mic on WIRED headset doesn't work so well. My Galaxy S headset worked really well that nobody complained about the sound it was picking up, and the sound so good for practical usage.

LG pay doesn't support banks/cards I use. I will be back on Samsung due to practical issues.

Also, the display is like old gen quality. It looks like display quality from Samsung Note 4. It has too much color shifting on the white when you angle it. We all know Samsung display is quality compared to anything out there.

Also, I really like the led indictors on Samsung. It keeps me always aware of messages that comes in. LG should adopt such useful feature.

Also the cell signal seems less reliable as well. When I make a call, it has a long delay before it rings. Why is it slow like this?

I may keep it just for audio, but likely not. I really need primary phone function to be reliable and work well for me to use it for audio as well. Now I realize with phones, audio is secondary. It's not like the quad DAC is mind-blowingly good.
Sad to hear your annoyance.
Never encountered such behaviours with my V30, except the blue color shifting of the screen. But that doesn't bother me that much.

The inline mic on my Pioneer iems works better than the mic on the phone, i've to say.
Bluetooth on aptx(hd) is really stable on me.

May have to figure that out on the V50 myself, which will be my next smartphone, i guess.

Thanks for chiming in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back