LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #241 of 371
B&O and Meridian here, and can't hear difference, though i like both, hehe, technical death metal and psychedelic rock sounds mindblowing, i cannot stop listening, and it's even without UAPP. True, 3.5mm jack is better v50 > v30, more tight, of course v30 is very old now, and jack is much looser, also i don't think i want to give away or sell v30 either, camera still nice, sound is nice, and 4G speeds reaching 100mbps, and CPU is damn fast too : P
The difference is very minimal like I always say, but maybe the headphones your using is the main obstruction here, like me for example, I cant notice the difference when I'm using it with most of my gear, specially my grados, but could audibly hear it using my sw iii, I think these small changes can only be appreciated if you listen to it via headphones with little to no coloration with good isolation and/or is very resolving, if not, then I think you wont appreciate the tweaks made by meridian.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #242 of 371
The difference is very minimal like I always say, but maybe the headphones your using is the main obstruction here, like me for example, I cant notice the difference when I'm using it with most of my gear, specially my grados, but could audibly hear it using my sw iii, I think these small changes can only be appreciated if you listen to it via headphones with little to no coloration with good isolation and/or is very resolving, if not, then I think you wont appreciate the tweaks made by meridian.
Possible, I've tried open back sony ma900, but it has slight colouration, is a bit darker, and they sound the same on all laptops/quad DACs/PCIe audio cards, no matter what, so i guess that is also a device without impact here. The only closed backs i have are headsets: beyerdynamic custom game and sennheiser game zero =:j

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #243 of 371
I used lg v30 for 4 straight years and i have the v50 and v50s now, v50s for a year now and v50s is just the g8x with 8/256 GB, i wanted to talk about the HIFI QUAD DAC, before i had the v30 i had v20 and before that the g4, v20 had the dac tuned by b&o and i liked but but i didnt knew the true potential of it until i used the v30, i saw tricks to use an adapter, it made the music louder but not the maximum in my experience, this trick i still use it on the v50 and v50s

Note that the the trick im going to state is not smooth or consistent but i use it to this day and it is really strange so bear with me

For me this trick only works WITHOUT case on the phone, so what i do is i have a charging brick that is not the fastest nor oem i do this with, first i used the Motorola 15w charger i dint know the model but what i did is i simply plugged the cable into the phone and RIGHT as the fast charging sign shows up after that plugged the headphones in, this takes an average of 5 tries to trick the quad dac to go full send mode, i plug the charger and play the music, by trying again and again for some reason i dont know at a random try the music loudness goes full bam, some times it goes to same volume levels as using the adapter or removing iems from iem cables then plugging them in, but by this method it goes at full send mode and the music is sooo louder.

This is too sketchy to begin with plus it doesn't work with all the charging bricks. It takes sometimes only one try or maybe 5 to 10 tries but i still do this, maybe im crazy who knows this worked on the v30 v50 and v50s it is also frustrating thus when it goes to high impedance or full power mode i dont take the iems out of them for as long as i need them.

This is the sketchiest method i never explained that to anyone it really makes me look stupid, anyways thought i might share it so thats that.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #244 of 371
I used lg v30 for 4 straight years and i have the v50 and v50s now, v50s for a year now and v50s is just the g8x with 8/256 GB, i wanted to talk about the HIFI QUAD DAC, before i had the v30 i had v20 and before that the g4, v20 had the dac tuned by b&o and i liked but but i didnt knew the true potential of it until i used the v30, i saw tricks to use an adapter, it made the music louder but not the maximum in my experience, this trick i still use it on the v50 and v50s

Note that the the trick im going to state is not smooth or consistent but i use it to this day and it is really strange so bear with me

For me this trick only works WITHOUT case on the phone, so what i do is i have a charging brick that is not the fastest nor oem i do this with, first i used the Motorola 15w charger i dint know the model but what i did is i simply plugged the cable into the phone and RIGHT as the fast charging sign shows up after that plugged the headphones in, this takes an average of 5 tries to trick the quad dac to go full send mode, i plug the charger and play the music, by trying again and again for some reason i dont know at a random try the music loudness goes full bam, some times it goes to same volume levels as using the adapter or removing iems from iem cables then plugging them in, but by this method it goes at full send mode and the music is sooo louder.

This is too sketchy to begin with plus it doesn't work with all the charging bricks. It takes sometimes only one try or maybe 5 to 10 tries but i still do this, maybe im crazy who knows this worked on the v30 v50 and v50s it is also frustrating thus when it goes to high impedance or full power mode i dont take the iems out of them for as long as i need them.

This is the sketchiest method i never explained that to anyone it really makes me look stupid, anyways thought i might share it so thats that.
That happens also on my v50 with or without a phone case and I dont really know if the phone case matters on this, Im pretty sure its just about the improper voltage on the aftermarket charger, tho I dont really use aux or HI mode nowadays so I dont know if theres a difference.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #245 of 371
That happens also on my v50 with or without a phone case and I dont really know if the phone case matters on this, Im pretty sure its just about the improper voltage on the aftermarket charger, tho I dont really use aux or HI mode nowadays so I dont know if theres a difference.
There is a very big difference on the "high impedence mode" all is good but just the fact you can hear some hissing at really low levels only of sound when activated, that aside its a proper beast in my opinion

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #247 of 371
There is a very big difference on the "high impedence mode" all is good but just the fact you can hear some hissing at really low levels only of sound when activated, that aside its a proper beast in my opinion
I know theres a difference in HI mode, what I meant is when you said about the aux mode when activated by the charger vs a regular activation using an impedance adapter.

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #252 of 371
I'm thinking about buying a V50s, which has the better DAC and why the V50 or the V50s?

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #254 of 371
I don't think that they differ on that.
Slippery as hell though.
I managed to crack the screen only after 3 days of ownership!
the V50 uses ESS DAC and the V50S a Qualcomm

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #255 of 371

Which do you think is the better phone and why (partially on sound). The V50 with the ESS DAC or the V50S with the Qualcomm DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back