LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #211 of 973
There is a spec difference between the 400s & the 4XX. The impedance is different enough @ 22 vs 35ohm that the 4XX triggers the high impedance mode on my v40 where the 400s likely wouldnt. That will make a huge difference in volume between the two.

Someone mentioned that UAPP finally has a version to support V40. I got tired of waiting for it in the store so I ask Davy about it and he sent me a link. Holy crap does it sound noticeably better than the one I was using when you get the fully tuned version!! The best feature is that when UAPP is in bit perfect mode it also disables all equalization or processing you may have set in the phone's DAC option page (like maybe for car playback)

The result: Using my adored super high-resolution Pioneer headphones, I *finally* get that big listening grin back on the V40 that I had with the V30. It actually may even sound better now!

If you purchased UAPP & don't see the new V40 version which I think is 4.5.1, ask Davy for the link

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #213 of 973
There is a spec difference between the 400s & the 4XX. The impedance is different enough @ 22 vs 35ohm that the 4XX triggers the high impedance mode on my v40 where the 400s likely wouldnt. That will make a huge difference in volume between the two.

Someone mentioned that UAPP finally has a version to support V40. I got tired of waiting for it in the store so I ask Davy about it and he sent me a link. Holy crap does it sound noticeably better than the one I was using when you get the fully tuned version!! The best feature is that when UAPP is in bit perfect mode it also disables all equalization or processing you may have set in the phone's DAC option page (like maybe for car playback)

The result: Using my adored super high-resolution Pioneer headphones, I *finally* get that big listening grin back on the V40 that I had with the V30. It actually may even sound better now!

If you purchased UAPP & don't see the new V40 version which I think is 4.5.1, ask Davy for the link
I always tricked the 400S into high impedance. Trying to run them in any other mode was pointless. Point still being, the 4XX should be harder to drive - specs wise

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #214 of 973
I always tricked the 400S into high impedance. Trying to run them in any other mode was pointless. Point still being, the 4XX should be harder to drive - specs wise

I was referring to regular use...not using the PIA 'trick' method. The 35ohm HE-4xx go into high-impedance mode every time on my V40 (the 22ohm 400s likely would not)--which to my ears sound better than the AUX mode you get with the trick setup. For that matter so do my Pioneer SE1s @ 45ohms, which *never* did on my V30--not that it's needed though as they are driven just fine with the normal amp volume. But any time i can hit high-impedance mode automatically, I'll take it!

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #215 of 973
I was referring to regular use...not using the PIA 'trick' method. The 35ohm HE-4xx go into high-impedance mode every time on my V40 (the 22ohm 400s likely would not)--which to my ears sound better than the AUX mode you get with the trick setup. For that matter so do my Pioneer SE1s @ 45ohms, which *never* did on my V30--not that it's needed though as they are driven just fine with the normal amp volume. But any time i can hit high-impedance mode automatically, I'll take it!

This is interesting. After 2 years of messing about triggering high impedance mode for my 40+ ohm headphones this would be great.

However we do not know exactly how the DAC measures the impedance, or at what frequency. Headphones are not the same resistance across all frequencies. Maybe they modified the threshold or frequency for the setting. After all they only need to set normal setting for the headphones in the box to pass legislation.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #216 of 973
My HE4xx's definitely don't trigger high-gain mode on my V40. I did buy an 80 OHM adapter off Amazon and it definitely triggers high-gain mode. In high-gain mode the V40 is able to get the HE4xx's to what I would consider the higher end of satisfying listening levels.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #217 of 973
Newbie here, first post, but have been reading Head-Fi for a while. This thread actually convinced me to buy the LG V40. I'm a musician, and have a good ear but I've got a lot to learn about the world of audiophiles. I have a few questions if someone has time to answer them, I'm a bit lost.

I've got a bunch of headphones, but I'm primarily using my HiFiman HE400i at home, and Linsoul BGVP DMG at work. Both sound good, better detail than my Fiio E17K Alpen 2, let alone iPhone 7 or MacBook ...but they aren't as loud as I would hope.

1. What is the best player for the LG V40: UAPP, Neutron, or stock applications?

2. Is high impedance mode the same as aux mode, and which one will have more power to drive headphones? (if I need an adapter, please feel free to recommend a brand and model)

3. How do I "trick" the phone into high impedance or aux mode to get it to drive my headphones better?

Thank you for your time and knowledge, happy holidays!

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #218 of 973
There was an earlier question regarding whether or not the V40 has an FM Radio: There is no app (on Verizon, anyways), but for sure this version of the phone has an FM chip in it. I installed NextRadio, and when I started the app, it said "Lucky You! Your Device has FM enabled so you can enjoy <blah blah blah...>.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #219 of 973
Newbie here, first post, but have been reading Head-Fi for a while.

1. What is the best player for the LG V40: UAPP, Neutron, or stock applications?

2. Is high impedance mode the same as aux mode, and which one will have more power to drive headphones? (if I need an adapter, please feel free to recommend a brand and model)

3. How do I "trick" the phone into high impedance or aux mode to get it to drive my headphones better?

1. They are all great... But judging by pure sound quality the stock player my be best but it has limited functions. The stock player also infernally chops the first second off of DSD files at least. Then I think it's a dead heat between Neutron and UAPP, but Neutron refuses to support ISO so I don't use it and don't recommend it if you use that increasingly common format. Bottom line, UAPP supports everything under the sun, has a great Tidal/Qobuz integration and sounds great.

2. Welcome to planars on the v40 (400i). Supposedly high-impedance and aux mode are the same but I personally think high impedance mode sounds better. Unfortunately you can only trick it into 'aux' mode and that's by connecting the 3.5mm jack first to the phone then the removeable earpiece connectors-but you can get impedance adapters mentioned elsewhere here for the high impedance mode...it's just a bulky setup. If you like the hifiman sound, I strongly recommend the he4xx from massdrop because those 35ohm cans kick my phone into high impedance *every* time which supplies enough power to drive them at a good volume. Their new offering (XX) at only 22ohms likely will not.

As an aside, did everyone notice that on the v40 the LG Hi-Fi app shows up in the left corner what mode it is in immediately if you activate the default notifications? I thought that's cool touch and I didn't notice it on the V30...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #220 of 973
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #221 of 973
1. They are all great... But judging by pure sound quality the stock player my be best but it has limited functions Emma infernally shops the first second off of DSD files at least. Then I think it's a dead heat between Neutron and UAPP, but Neutron refuses to support ISO so I don't use it and don't recommend it if you use that increasingly common format. Bottom line, UAPP supports everything under the sun, has a great Tidal/Qobuz integration and sounds great.

2. Welcome to planars on the v40 (400i). Supposedly high-impedance and aux mode are the same but I personally think high impedance mode sounds better. Unfortunately you can only trick it into 'aux' mode and that's by connecting the 3.5mm jack first to the phone then the removeable earpiece connectors-but you can get impedance adapters mentioned elsewhere here for the high impedance mode...it's just a bulky setup. If you like the hifiman sound, I strongly recommend the he4xx from massdrop because those 35ohm cans kick my phone into high impedance *every* time which supplies enough power to drive them at a good volume. Their new offering (XX) at only 22ohms likely will not.

As an aside, did everyone notice that on the v40 the LG Hi-Fi app shows up in the left corner what mode it is in immediately if you activate the default notifications? I thought that's cool touch and I didn't notice it on the V30...

Wow, thank you very much, this is very helpful! Thanks for your efforts, I'll do my best to pay it forward and be a good member

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #222 of 973
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #223 of 973
IbgoI the korean version LM-409 N, 128 GB. Very little blootware. The phone is fantastic and I am looking to buy 512 GB micro SD card. Battery is great nearly two days for some moderate use. I have everything turned off. Haven't tried music yet, but Netflix with DTS-X on is really impressive.
Also I am going to buy a battery cover, 5200 mHa.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #225 of 973
Newbie here, first post, but have been reading Head-Fi for a while. This thread actually convinced me to buy the LG V40. I'm a musician, and have a good ear but I've got a lot to learn about the world of audiophiles. I have a few questions if someone has time to answer them, I'm a bit lost.

I've got a bunch of headphones, but I'm primarily using my HiFiman HE400i at home, and Linsoul BGVP DMG at work. Both sound good, better detail than my Fiio E17K Alpen 2, let alone iPhone 7 or MacBook ...but they aren't as loud as I would hope.

I use Neutron, but have never tried UAPP. You can absolutely trick the 40 into high impedance mode, which I do for every headphone I own. All you need is a Y splitter cable and a high impedance set of ear pods (or any headphones that are 50 ohms or greater. Plug the ear pods into one end of the Y cable, then plug the Y cable into the phone. Next plug the headphones you want to use into the other side of the Y cable. Lastly, remove the ear pods from the Y cable. You can pick up a set of VE Monks for 10 bucks. They will kick your phone into high impedance, and you can pack them along with the small Y cable anywhere you go.
High impedance is not the same as auxiliary. It will give you significantly more power. This is where you want to be when using planars. Auxiliary mode is OK with easy to drive cans, but from my experience, high impedance not only gives you more power, it also makes music much more dynamic and full bodied. Coming from the V30 to the V40, I think using high impedance is even more important, because the 40 doesn't have the same set of balls as the 30 does. The 30 has more power and gets louder from my experience.. The sound is different as well. If interested, you can go back a few pages and read my description differences of the sound quality of each phone.
I use Neutron because it's simple yet sophisticated, and does everything I need it to. It also sounds great. Much better than the stock LG music player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back