LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Nov 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #226 of 973
Another thing you will want to do is download the HiFi statusLLG app from the Google Play store. This app will provide a display at the top of the screen, that shows which mode your phone is in. Also, from my experience, the Hifiman HE400S sounds a little better than the 400i when paired with LG phones. It's a little easier to drive.

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #227 of 973
From my research the V30 and V40 max out at almost exactly the same db levels but the V40 has more gradual volume increases in the 30 and 40 volume ranges. Some think it reduces the chance of making too dramatic of a volume change in the ranges most people will be listening.

See this video:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #229 of 973
You can absolutely trick the 40 into high impedance mode, which I do for every headphone I own. All you need is a Y splitter cable and a high impedance set of ear pods (or any headphones that are 50 ohms or greater. Plug the ear pods into one end of the Y cable, then plug the Y cable into the phone. Next plug the headphones you want to use into the other side of the Y cable. Lastly, remove the ear pods from the Y cable. You can pick up a set of VE Monks for 10 bucks. They will kick your phone into high impedance, and you can pack them along with the small Y cable anywhere you go.

Ummm...I wouldn't exactly call this straightforward :) Sure would be if LG would just offer us the gain choice like my Calyx M does...but unfortunately that great sounding, totally underrated player with a lot of great features and a desktop version sabre DAC, will never handle ISO files or have any online capability.

Speaking of those files...and pretty much any other request for UAPP--i have to give it to developer Davy and his responsiveness to email suggestions--unlike a few others...cough..Neutron. Who's with me here in Kudo'ing this developer? I helped him work though for ISO support (including DST) and he just incorporated my latest request in one day--adding the only missing feature i could think of: a sleep timer. You'll see it in the next build in the pull-out menu...

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #231 of 973
You can absolutely trick the 40 into high impedance mode, which I do for every headphone I own. All you need is a Y splitter cable and a high impedance set of ear pods (or any headphones that are 50 ohms or greater. Plug the ear pods into one end of the Y cable, then plug the Y cable into the phone. Next plug the headphones you want to use into the other side of the Y cable. Lastly, remove the ear pods from the Y cable. You can pick up a set of VE Monks for 10 bucks. They will kick your phone into high impedance, and you can pack them along with the small Y cable anywhere you go.

Ummm...I wouldn't exactly call this straightforward :) Sure would be if LG would just offer us the gain choice like my Calyx M does...but unfortunately that great sounding, totally underrated player with a lot of great features and a desktop version sabre DAC, will never handle ISO files or have any online capability.

Speaking of those files...and pretty much any other request for UAPP--i have to give it to developer Davy and his responsiveness to email suggestions--unlike a few others...cough..Neutron. Who's with me here in Kudo'ing this developer? I helped him work though for ISO support (including DST) and he just incorporated my latest request in one day--adding the only missing feature i could think of: a sleep timer. You'll see it in the next build in the pull-out menu...
It's pretty straight forward bud. If it weren't, I couldn't explain it with such simplicity. As for Neutron, I have no complaints. I plan to try UAPP soon. I just keep forgetting to pick up a Google Play card when I'm at the store. Neutron serves my purpose of wired headphones listening just fine. Unless the sound quality of UAPP absolutely blows me away in comparison to Neutron. We shall see

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #232 of 973
It's pretty straight forward bud. If it weren't, I couldn't explain it with such simplicity. As for Neutron, I have no complaints. I plan to try UAPP soon. I just keep forgetting to pick up a Google Play card when I'm at the store. Neutron serves my purpose of wired headphones listening just fine. Unless the sound quality of UAPP absolutely blows me away in comparison to Neutron. We shall see

Tried Neutron a moment ago after a while. User experience is still a nightmare. Try UAPP ASAP :)

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #233 of 973
Tried Neutron a moment ago after a while. User experience is still a nightmare. Try UAPP ASAP :)

It does sound very good (and possibly the best sounding on the V40), but the UI is very advanced and not user-friendly. Also, once again, it is the *only* 3rd party app that refuses to support the increasingly common ISO format--Hiby music (check!), UAPP (check!). I spent a whole lot of time meticulously converting my SACDs (you dont need a PS3 any more--just a proper BD player) to that format for ease of use between home and portable system, so i refuse to go 'backwards' and extract them just to use one stubborn program--no matter how good it is.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #234 of 973
UAPP must be off the chain if Neutron is a nightmare. I really don't feel it's that bad. I'll take your word, but I feel nightmare may be a bit of an exaggeration

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #235 of 973
It does sound very good (and possibly the best sounding on the V40), but the UI is very advanced and not user-friendly. Also, once again, it is the *only* 3rd party app that refuses to support the increasingly common ISO format--Hiby music (check!), UAPP (check!). I spent a whole lot of time meticulously converting my SACDs (you dont need a PS3 any more--just a proper BD player) to that format for ease of use between home and portable system, so i refuse to go 'backwards' and extract them just to use one stubborn program--no matter how good it is.
If Neutron may possibly sound the best, I'll stick with it. Sound quality is most important to me. I can deal with the UI. If it was truly terrible, I would refuse to use it

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #236 of 973
UAPP must be off the chain if Neutron is a nightmare. I really don't feel it's that bad. I'll take your word, but I feel nightmare may be a bit of an exaggeration

I recommend Poweramp v3 (used to be called Poweramp Alpha). It's still in beta but the trial version is easy enough to try. The public version on Google Play is build# 588 but the v3 version is currently at build# 808 and has Hi-Res support in the options. I'd been using v2 for years with my V10 and now have v3 on my Axon M.

I passed on getting a V40 but the first thing I do with every Android device is install Poweramp, UAPP, and Neutron. After configuring each I compare sound quality and, imo, Poweramp v2/v3 always wins.

UAPP is usually my second choice although the last time I used it was for Tidal access.

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #237 of 973
I recommend Poweramp v3 (used to be called Poweramp Alpha). It's still in beta but the trial version is easy enough to try. The public version on Google Play is build# 588 but the v3 version is currently at build# 808 and has Hi-Res support in the options. I'd been using v2 for years with my V10 and now have v3 on my Axon M.

I passed on getting a V40 but the first thing I do with every Android device is install Poweramp, UAPP, and Neutron. After configuring each I compare sound quality and, imo, Poweramp v2/v3 always wins.

UAPP is usually my second choice although the last time I used it was for Tidal access.

You access Tidal through a 3rd party Android music player (UAPP) ? I thought you could only use Tidal on your phone via its Android app or a browser. Perhaps I'm confused and misinterpreting something.

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #238 of 973
You access Tidal through a 3rd party Android music player (UAPP) ? I thought you could only use Tidal on your phone via its Android app or a browser. Perhaps I'm confused and misinterpreting something.
UAPP can stream Tidal and bypass Android upscaling to output bit perfect audio to an external DAC or your headphones. There is also a parametric EQ plugin you can purchase that works well with UAPP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back