LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 57.5%

• Total voters
Nov 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #196 of 973
I received my HD 700s today from eBay and so far they sound wonderful through my LG 40. Never had the LG 30 so can't say how they compare but can't imagine they could sound much better. I am coming from HD 598s and I find I need to bump the volume up about 10 steps to get comparable volume. But for the most part I'm listening in the low to mid 40s out of a possible 75 so they have power to spare. Perhaps they would sound better out of a high end dac/amp but I really like the convenience and value of this setup. I got the V40 at a $200 discount from Verizon so the phone was cheaper than other top tier phones.

And as far as the rest of the phone I like it better than the S7 edge. Screen is a bit larger and very sharp, camera is comparable and I like the fingerprint scanner on the back. I usually have 30% or more battery life at the end of the day unless I am constantly using it with the screen on.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #197 of 973
Getting used to the headphone jack placement. Thinking I prefer it for pocketing purposes. What I'm still struggling with is the power button. I always reach around the back side most every time, looking for that power button with my pointer finger.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #199 of 973
Plugged in my SE535s this morning and for some reason my v40 went into high gain mode :hear_no_evil:... without lowering the volume. LG definitely needs to add a switch to set the amp to 'auto', 'low' or 'high' gain.

It happens with my HE-4xx at also only 35ohms also every time on the V40...but I'm certainly not complaining. LG will never add this switch for some reason...i think they think we are too dumb to realize we could blow out our ears setting 8ohm cans to high-impedance and don't give us that option...

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #200 of 973
It happens with my HE-4xx at also only 35ohms also every time on the V40...but I'm certainly not complaining. LG will never add this switch for some reason...i think they think we are too dumb to realize we could blow out our ears setting 8ohm cans to high-impedance and don't give us that option...

My HE4XX cans have yet to trigger the 50Ω high-impedance mode. I think the SE535s triggering it was a fluke, I'm guessing I didn't insert the plug quickly or smoothly enough. Regardless, it would be nice if there was at least an API so the high / low setting could be accessed by 'advanced' users.

And what is 'AUX' mode that the Hi-Fi Status app shows? I can get my HE4Xxs to switch into that mode if I connect the cable without the headphones being attached. The 'AUX' mode does seem to be louder that 'Hi-Fi' mode, but I have no idea how it compares to 50Ω mode.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #201 of 973
And what is 'AUX' mode that the Hi-Fi Status app shows? I can get my HE4Xxs to switch into that mode if I connect the cable without the headphones being attached. The 'AUX' mode does seem to be louder that 'Hi-Fi' mode, but I have no idea how it compares to 50Ω mode.

AUX is for external amp, for headphones and earphones, 50Ω mode sounds best to me.

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #203 of 973
Any idea how the V40 identifies an 'AUX' connection?

Some here have said that Aux and high-impedance (50ohm) sound the same...but i beg to differ. I think 50ohm sounds the best but it's the most difficult to trigger. For AUX (i think 700ohm trigger) all you need to do it unplug an ear connector before plugging the cans into the phone. To trigger 50ohm, you either need to be lucky (like me) and have it do it for the HE-4xx even at 35ohm...or get an adapter off ebay previously mentioned either here or V30 thread. Or of course have 50ohm + cans :)

As for my stance on the V40...it has definitely changed once i realized a lot of "advantages" this has that the V30 didn't--especially when it comes to car use. I'll elaborate a bit later...

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #206 of 973
Getting used to the headphone jack placement. Thinking I prefer it for pocketing purposes. What I'm still struggling with is the power button. I always reach around the back side most every time, looking for that power button with my pointer finger.

I've come to the conclusion that the direct headphone audio is not as good as the V30 (brighter) and actually the extra features like EQ and DTS-X is actually a detriment to true headphone pure sound--even when off. When I A/B the same tracks between the two with the highly-revealing Pioneer Master-SE1's, the V30 is noticeably a bit smoother. However, the DTS-X and EQ certainly work great in the car, and the headphone jack now being on the same side as the charging port really help with cable management there. Finally, the OLED screen itself is just so much nicer and it's not significantly larger or heavier than the V30--but almost 1/2" more screen size. That alone is a technical marvel.

A great headphone pairing with the V40 is the Massdrop HE-4xxx planars as they kick the phone into high-gain mode all the time and it supplies enough power to drive them well--unlike almost any other planar. Good luck with their new "HEX-killer" Edition XX model, as at only 93db and 20ohms, it won't invoke high-impedance mode & they wont be driven well enough. They are also a strange hybrid of the HEX and HE4xx models--with those massive HEX earpads only suitable for an elephant!

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #208 of 973
I've come to the conclusion that the direct headphone audio is not as good as the V30 (brighter) and actually the extra features like EQ and DTS-X is actually a detriment to true headphone pure sound--even when off. When I A/B the same tracks between the two with the highly-revealing Pioneer Master-SE1's, the V30 is noticeably a bit smoother. However, the DTS-X and EQ certainly work great in the car, and the headphone jack now being on the same side as the charging port really help with cable management there. Finally, the OLED screen itself is just so much nicer and it's not significantly larger or heavier than the V30--but almost 1/2" more screen size. That alone is a technical marvel.

A great headphone pairing with the V40 is the Massdrop HE-4xxx planars as they kick the phone into high-gain mode all the time and it supplies enough power to drive them well--unlike almost any other planar. Good luck with their new "HEX-killer" Edition XX model, as at only 93db and 20ohms, it won't invoke high-impedance mode & they wont be driven well enough. They are also a strange hybrid of the HEX and HE4xx models--with those massive HEX earpads only suitable for an elephant!
That's peculiar. I was using the 400S with my 30, and I didn't feel the 30 could push them enough. Not to their full potential anyways. We've established that the 30 has a little more juice than the 40, and on paper, the 4XX should be harder to drive than the 400S. I still believe speaking audio performance that the both the 30 and 40 do some things better than the other. I'm not sure I can say one is definitively better.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #209 of 973
That's peculiar. I was using the 400S with my 30, and I didn't feel the 30 could push them enough. Not to their full potential anyways. We've established that the 30 has a little more juice than the 40, and on paper, the 4XX should be harder to drive than the 400S. I still believe speaking audio performance that the both the 30 and 40 do some things better than the other. I'm not sure I can say one is definitively better.
Totally agree

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #210 of 973

Users who are viewing this thread

Back