LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 57.5%

• Total voters
Nov 24, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #241 of 973
To simplify things just subscribe to Spotify premium and set quality to "Very high."

I just use Tidal's app, download for offline play at "Master" quality and use Tidal to play it. I supplement that with some FLAC files. As for UAPP I wasn't aware that Android upscaled my Tidal master files, or that I'd need an external DAC (I bought the phone because I thought it's internal DAC was decent). So I just need to get a better handle on all of this, including "bit perfect" and better understanding recording quality / FLAC output. I really appreciate the info, thanks!

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #242 of 973
Just an FYI post for newbies like myself. The 3 screenshots attached show all the settings I've found for the LG V40's audio, both bluetooth and the headphone jack. If anyone knows of other screens / settings feel free to share.

The main volume setting for music / audio greatly improved the phones ability to drive my HE 400i .... its more than enough for me, but it may not be for others. The only thing that confuses me is when I alter the bluetooth settings in develop options ( i.e 32 bit, 96 kHz, aptx HD codec, 990 kbps) , they don't seem to stick ... when I return to the developer option screen they've all reverted to system default.

thumbnail_Screenshot_2018-11-23-22-45-51.png thumbnail_Screenshot_2018-11-23-22-57-54.png thumbnail_Screenshot_2018-11-23-22-47-35.png

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #243 of 973
To simplify things just subscribe to Spotify premium and set quality to "Very high."

Is that more simple than using a native app built into the phone, and has a higher lossless bitrate?

In general I have found the music I like has been a better mastered version on Tidal. Not a full evaluation of several millon tracks I admit, but some important works.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #244 of 973
Just an FYI post for newbies like myself. The 3 screenshots attached show all the settings I've found for the LG V40's audio, both bluetooth and the headphone jack. If anyone knows of other screens / settings feel free to share.

The main volume setting for music / audio greatly improved the phones ability to drive my HE 400i .... its more than enough for me, but it may not be for others. The only thing that confuses me is when I alter the bluetooth settings in develop options ( i.e 32 bit, 96 kHz, aptx HD codec, 990 kbps) , they don't seem to stick ... when I return to the developer option screen they've all reverted to system default.

I don't think you need to tick normalize volume and dts x:surround is not quite beneficial for headphone since it is L+R channel.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #246 of 973
Tried it with mine, but it doesn't seem to work over wired USB. If you were intent on getting something, you could probably set the phone up as a Bluetooth device and steam audio to it. But that would be compressed/lossy. Seems to me that would defeat the purpose.

A quick prayer to the Great God Goog for answers also indicates No.

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #248 of 973
I don't think you need to tick normalize volume and dts x:surround is not quite beneficial for headphone since it is L+R channel.

I have Jabra Move bluetooth headphones that I have been using at work and surprisingly using the DTS:X setting with Side to Side sounds better than not enabling that feature. And side to side is better than Wide or Front settings. Thanks oneraj4u

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #250 of 973
Just got my V40 yesterday. So far, so good. I'm listening to Hotel California on my M1060s and the phone seems to do just fine with them. My HD600s also seem to do fine with it. The phone has more than enough output volume for those high impedance cans, and they seem to sound very good. I'm upgrading from a Galaxy S5. With that phone, I felt like it was fine with low impedance cans, but it couldn't drive the HD600s. This phone gets them louder than I can stand, and they seem to sound great.

Yay. :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #251 of 973
Just got my V40 yesterday. So far, so good. I'm listening to Hotel California on my M1060s and the phone seems to do just fine with them. My HD600s also seem to do fine with it. The phone has more than enough output volume for those high impedance cans, and they seem to sound very good. I'm upgrading from a Galaxy S5. With that phone, I felt like it was fine with low impedance cans, but it couldn't drive the HD600s. This phone gets them louder than I can stand, and they seem to sound great.

Yay. :)
Which music app are you using?

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #252 of 973
Which music app are you using?
"Music Folder Player Free" It's the same one I used on my old phone. It's simple, and it let's me get to my music via my folder structure, which is how I prefer it. I may experiment with other apps (I have another thread asking about what people prefer), but since I only have MP3s on my phone currently and no lossless stuff, this app is fine for now.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #253 of 973
"Music Folder Player Free" It's the same one I used on my old phone. It's simple, and it let's me get to my music via my folder structure, which is how I prefer it. I may experiment with other apps (I have another thread asking about what people prefer), but since I only have MP3s on my phone currently and no lossless stuff, this app is fine for now.
Are you sure that music player is activating the dac in it's entirety?

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #255 of 973
I have no idea. When using the app, the "hi'fi quad dac" is enabled along with all of the sound options within the dac settings. Aside from having those available, how would I determine whether or not that DAC is being employed?
To be truthful, I don't know how to answer that question. I'm sure someone else can though. In the meantime, I would recommend using the stock LG music player on the phone. Try it and see if you can discern any sonic differences from the app you're using now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back