LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Aug 23, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #811 of 973
Anyone know if its safe to download Android 10 on V40?

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #812 of 973
Wondering what DAPs people have moved on to from the v40? I'm on the v60, which I absolutely love, but I also move between a couple other phones that suck from an audio perspective and want to look into a comparable DAP, preferably nice and pocketable as I don't want to be carrying around the v60 as a DAP.

Not sure if there is anything out there worth looking at since it appears that a comparable DAP will start to creep up to phone-size territory?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #813 of 973
Hi.
Now I have Android 10...
Can I play MQA through the Tidal app or via UAPP? Can you please help me?
Thank you very much.
Have u tried DSD and MQA with Android 10 yet?
Wondering what DAPs people have moved on to from the v40? I'm on the v60, which I absolutely love, but I also move between a couple other phones that suck from an audio perspective and want to look into a comparable DAP, preferably nice and pocketable as I don't want to be carrying around the v60 as a DAP.

Not sure if there is anything out there worth looking at since it appears that a comparable DAP will start to creep up to phone-size territory?
I just got the LG V40(my country is little slow with phone releases). With MQA, DTS and DSD on V40 there is no point in upgrade to v50/v60 when you get less audiostuff for ur money. Only the quad dac. For daps: idk. The lg V series DAC measures extremely good / it even as good / better than many desktop models due to ASR.

So as as far as DACs go, i think almost no DAPs can challenge the V40's DAC in reasonable or same price bracket. As for the amp part it could be better , but forcing it into High Ohm Mode should be enough as long you dont have something quite hard to drive.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #814 of 973
Anyone installed Amdroid 10 on their V40 yet?

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #815 of 973
Its not just the sound features they removed, it's also the dead ugly interface on Android 10 :frowning2:

A few question:

1- have there been developments since May what Android 10 is concerned?

2- if so which app is recommended for streaming from a Linux SMB Share right now? UAPP or Neutron?

3- is basically any OTG Cable able to trigger the amp for higher impedance Headphones?

4- is there like a go-to headphone/ia ear that pairs particularly well with the v40?

Sorry for the many question. Have the phone since August last year, and havent been able to fully use it to my advantage :)

Thx a lot guys. Cheers

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #816 of 973
Its not just the sound features they removed, it's also the dead ugly interface on Android 10 :frowning2:

A few question:

1- have there been developments since May what Android 10 is concerned?

2- if so which app is recommended for streaming from a Linux SMB Share right now? UAPP or Neutron?

3- is basically any OTG Cable able to trigger the amp for higher impedance Headphones?

4- is there like a go-to headphone/ia ear that pairs particularly well with the v40?

Sorry for the many question. Have the phone since August last year, and havent been able to fully use it to my advantage :)

Thx a lot guys. Cheers

I can answer on 3 and 4.
3) plugging a cable into the phone and then plug it in your headphones trigger AUX mode. That mode measures the best afaik. You need a ohmadapter or headphones with 50ohm or higher to trigger the highest power mode.

4) Thats solely depends on what HP or IEM u like! Only you know the answer to this!

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #817 of 973
I can answer on 3 and 4.
3) plugging a cable into the phone and then plug it in your headphones trigger AUX mode. That mode measures the best afaik. You need a ohmadapter or headphones with 50ohm or higher to trigger the highest power mode.

4) Thats solely depends on what HP or IEM u like! Only you know the answer to this!

Thanks for the reply

Regarding 3:

So i don't need to buy a 500€ Cable, any will do? :smile:

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #818 of 973
I also wondering about this! I was very very lucky though. I saw the updaye on my phone just when i woke up nd immediately paused it and turned of auto update's and im not doing anything before i know if DSD and MQA work with android 10 and UAPP.
I can play mqa on uapp but not sure if it does the right thing, even though uapp developers might have fixed it for android 10. I will check the release notes and ask on uapp thread. I will post a screenshot too, for now it shows me, for example on a track having 96khz sample rate, 192khz on Direct label. I activated the mqa flag on hi res flags menu, as suggested by uapp. Which is specific to LG as the note says. I don't see a blue or green dot next to mqa logo though.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #819 of 973
This is what i have on android 10. Is it possible to go back to android 9? I just bought it and seems all the audio goodies from oreo are gone. But maybe uapp guys did something.
Also, when i activate the quad dac i don't see the hifi logo on top, but i see it when i change the volume on volume bar.
Also!, the other presumably hifi settings, dtx, filters and so on have no effect when playing via uapp, maybe with tidal or youtube.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201014-124011.png
    Screenshot_20201014-124011.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #820 of 973
Screenshot_20201027-220746.png
Screenshot_20201027-220746.png

Hifi quad DAC shows up fine in settings on 10 for me. UAPP reports MQA files as working properly too. Black dot when it's on and white dot when disabled.
I've noticed that the amp drives a bit harder in 10 than 9 and to my ears it sounds just a touch brighter too.

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #821 of 973
Hello,
I am buying headphones for my V40.
I choose between the Sennheiser HD599 and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X.
The price is the same with us - 159 €.
I listen mostly to jazz and blues, and 10% of classics.

what do you think?

regards,
Simon

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #822 of 973
Hello,
I am buying headphones for my V40.
I choose between the Sennheiser HD599 and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X.
The price is the same with us - 159 €.
I listen mostly to jazz and blues, and 10% of classics.

what do you think?

regards,
Simon

The Sennheiser HD599 pairs great with both LG V30+ & LG G8X. The 50 ohm transducers triggers high impedance mode by default on LG phones. The HD599 are currently retailing fro 82 € in Amazon India, hence thinking of having another pair. No idea about the Audio-Technica though.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #823 of 973
Anyone installed Amdroid 10 on their V40 yet?

Don't do it! It will kill a good bit of audio prowess the phone is known for--namely NATIVE DSD playback for one and there is others. Each iterative version of the V series removed some kind of audio feature (native playback, DTS-X, MQA, etc). Who wants to convert pure DSD to PCM? Apparently LG does because every phone after this does just that...so as long as you can keep it off the dreaded A10, the V40 is the best audiophile phone they make.

I'm actually looking for a true factory unlocked version (QA7 in model number, not the way more common AU AT&T version missing the LTE bands) so I can have my Android 8 or 9 back! I was forced by my carrier version and 10 sucks in so many ways...

I have TMobile so wondering if the V405TAB "unlocked" version meant for TM would *not* automatically upgrade the OS to 10....

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #824 of 973
In Update Center, disable App (optional) and Software Updates. In Developer options, disable: Automatic system updates.

Just recently bought a new V50. Been 3 weeks and no system updates, still on Android 9.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #825 of 973
In Update Center, disable App (optional) and Software Updates. In Developer options, disable: Automatic system updates.

Just recently bought a new V50. Been 3 weeks and no system updates, still on Android 9.
I wish I would have known this before mine auto updated to 10. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back