LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #796 of 973
Today I just unlocked the SIM card slot for my old V40 ThinQ which I plan to bring with me to UK next summer hopefully.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #797 of 973
What kind of amp's or other audiogear are v30 and v40 users here using with the phone?

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #798 of 973
Oh man, I had a complete revelation last night. Have always avoided the 'slow' filter in the DAC settings, but I decided to see how it sounds with my new Solaris 2020s and woah!! Everything sounds so liquid and beautifully smooth, organically analogue sounding.

Anyone else using this filter?

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #799 of 973
Oh man, I had a complete revelation last night. Have always avoided the 'slow' filter in the DAC settings, but I decided to see how it sounds with my new Solaris 2020s and woah!! Everything sounds so liquid and beautifully smooth, organically analogue sounding.

Anyone else using this filter?
I cant hear a difference between them with my cans=)

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #802 of 973
I cant hear a difference between them with my cans=)

Me neither. :)

I'm surprised to hear you guys say that. I can easily hear the difference between the filters on my V30, both with my cheap (but surprisingly excellent) Monoprice StageRight cans and with my cheaper (and even more excellent) CCA C10 IEMs.

Or rather, I should say I COULD easily hear it before losing much of my hearing last year. But even before that, I only had "good" ears, but far from golden.

The Short filter (default) has lots of soundstage, but a bit too much bathroom effect for my taste (of course I'm exaggerating).

The Slow filter reveals more detail, and is more precise, with it's lack of pre-ringing, and should theoretically be ideal. But in the end I just found it a tad unnatural, like too much sharpening of a digital photograph. My wife did too, and she has better hearing than me (even before my hearing loss). I would think that it might work better on HiRes files, where its effect might be less pronounced.

So I ended up with the Sharp filter. It doesn't have the super wide soundstage of the Short filter, nor the detail and sharpness of the Slow filter, but it just sounds more natural to me.

Maybe my choice of music and recordings is why I hear a difference despite mediocre equipment and hearing. I listen almost entirely to orchestral (classical) and am a sucker for good recordings with as little studio processing as possible.

I notice that many studio recordings nowadays have a lot of effects, artificial soundstage etc. Maybe that would make the difference between filters less obvious.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #803 of 973
It's hard to tell, but i want to know for sure.

Tested with my V30 ( HIM, Vol 50 ) and the Quad Era-1 with the following tracks:
(all 16bit, 44.1kHz Flac) (sit back and relax)

Friedemann - Spring has come to Wiesental -- very subtle change
Kagermann - Out of Arnheim -- no noticable difference
Oppermann - Jardin des roses -- hearable difference on guitar parts
Joanne Shaw Taylor - Heavy heart -- no noticable difference
Keri Noble - Last warning -- no noticable difference
Esperanza Spalding - Ponta de Areia -- no noticable difference
Vivino Brothers - Fools gold -- no noticable difference
Chris Farlowe - Tough on me tough on you -- no noticable difference
Sara K. - Vincent -- no noticable difference
Amber Rubarth - Full moon in Paris -- very subtle change on the first string part
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Can't we be friends -- no noticable difference
Mckinley Black - My diamond mine -- very subtle difference
Allan Taylor - Chimes at midnight (Göttinger Symphonie Orchester) -- more of a hall on short (bathroom), i like sharp better
Blues Company - Invitation to the blues -- no noticable difference
Jan Gunnar Hoff - Living -- no noticable difference
Arnesen - Magnificat 4. et misericordia -- no noticable difference
Evanescence - Lost in Paradise (Synthesis) -- no noticable difference
Evanescence - My heart is broken (Synthesis) -- hearable hall on short (bathroom)

The biggest, not worth the change, impact while changing the filter settings, i got on guitars and such instruments like harps.
On woodwind instruments and piano, there isn't that much difference.
It depends on the intruments you're listening to, i think.

While it was a great journey (note to myself to do it again^^), it figured out sharp is a safe bet, at least for me. :)

But thanks to @Dannemand to lead me to do this comparison. Enjoyed it a lot. :beerchug:

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #804 of 973
@Chris Kaoss: Excellent, sounds like a thorough test. Glad you found your preferred filter. I think it is reasonable to call Sharp a safe choice.

One thing I forgot to mention: I would expect that highly sensitive IEMs (BA or hybrid -- such as Solaris 2020) in Normal Mode would be most revealing of filter differences, while power hungry full size cans (Planars -- such as Quad Era-1) in HIM would be least revealing. I have no way to verify that hypothesis, both because I don't own planars and because I wouldn't be able to hear it properly. But it seems logical.

Edit: I looked up sensitivity for the Solaris 2020 and was surprised that it's only 94 dB. So admittedly not the best example of the point I was trying to make. I mentioned them because @Toom had used them for his test. (Very nice set BTW).

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #805 of 973
Will retest it with my Etymotic ER2XR and my SE-CH9T to have a different view, i'm not a BA guys, so i'm stucked to single dd's on my iems.
Maybe it'll shed some more light on this behavior.
Very curious about.
Good point. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #806 of 973
OK, so just to clarify - I'm using UAPP in Bit Perfect mode, with equaliser on Custom (but still flat - this makes a tangible difference over Normal, even though the latter shows a flat EQ for some reason) and filter on Slow. See attached pic.

I seriously can't believe the sound I am getting with my Solaris 2020s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200807-074048.png
    Screenshot_20200807-074048.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #807 of 973
Really? What cans you using?
IE800 and Oppo Pm3. I can hear a very little and minor difference in some songs WHEN listening for it, but to my honest i wouldnt have any chance to tell which mode is on even with a gun to my head:wink:

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #808 of 973
OK, so just to clarify - I'm using UAPP in Bit Perfect mode, with equaliser on Custom (but still flat - this makes a tangible difference over Normal, even though the latter shows a flat EQ for some reason) and filter on Slow. See attached pic.

I seriously can't believe the sound I am getting with my Solaris 2020s.
The same settings i did while playing with the filter. :dt880smile:

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #810 of 973
Hi.
Now I have Android 10...
Can I play MQA through the Tidal app or via UAPP? Can you please help me?
Thank you very much.
I also wondering about this! I was very very lucky though. I saw the updaye on my phone just when i woke up nd immediately paused it and turned of auto update's and im not doing anything before i know if DSD and MQA work with android 10 and UAPP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back