LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #826 of 973
In Update Center, disable App (optional) and Software Updates. In Developer options, disable: Automatic system updates.

Just recently bought a new V50. Been 3 weeks and no system updates, still on Android 9.

You got the best LG.

In short, LG V50 -> 5G, QuadDAC, Meridian Audio tuning, inbuilt MQA support for QuadDAC, QuadHD OLED display, stereo speakers & solid battery life. If comes pre-installed with Android 9, support for native DSD playback as well.

It beats V40 in all aspects bar none. Alas V50 is not available in my country but pretty content with V30+ and G8X.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #827 of 973
I wish I would have known this before mine auto updated to 10. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think you can do this on a carrier lock version...but should be able to on any unlocked phone. For Tmobile though you won't get the full LTE bands (66/71) unless you get the actual QA7 unlocked version or the T-Mobile version.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #828 of 973
LG V50 -> 5G, QuadDAC, Meridian Audio tuning, inbuilt MQA support for QuadDAC, QuadHD OLED display, stereo speakers & solid battery life. If comes pre-installed with Android 9, support for native DSD playback as well.

Ah yes. I thought the V50 had ballooned the screen size to their current ridiculous 6.8" monstrosity...but it is fact same dimensions as the V40. More importantly, this *is* the last model that LG has not neutered the audio prowess as you said (as long as you keep it off infernal Android 10). It's a little heavier than the V40 by about 20g likely due to 5G modem...which is great if it has the bands for your area.

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #829 of 973
You got the best LG.

That's the idea, has everything except CPU (Snapdragon 855 as today's 865). And costs more than half of today's flagship. Have a G8S as company phone and have read Davy's gripe (UAPP developer) regarding LG's implementation of Android 10 last May and forgot about it. So when Android 10 update arrived I too lost the music goodness.

Was torn between the Sony Xperia 1 II and decided for the sonic goodness I know. I am old school. Use my phone as a communication tool. And now as DAP (when traveling).
Last night I tested it with my external DAC/Amp setup I use for extended trips and it worked! Very Happy!

Old pic w/ former V20 but setup still the same for extended trips:
Phone -> Battery powered USB Reclock/Regen (black) -> DAC/Amp -> HP
Wp2RL8Nl.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #831 of 973
LG V50 -> 5G, QuadDAC, Meridian Audio tuning, inbuilt MQA support for QuadDAC, QuadHD OLED display, stereo speakers & solid battery life. If comes pre-installed with Android 9, support for native DSD playback as well.

Ah yes. I thought the V50 had ballooned the screen size to their current ridiculous 6.8" monstrosity...but it is fact same dimensions as the V40. More importantly, this *is* the last model that LG has not neutered the audio prowess as you said (as long as you keep it off infernal Android 10). It's a little heavier than the V40 by about 20g likely due to 5G modem...which is great if it has the bands for your area.

LG V40, V50 & V50S/G8X all runs the same 6.4 inch display size with a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. V50S is the 5G version of G8X.

From an audio perspective, the only difference between G8X & V50 is the former lacks MQA support. Both are tuned by Meridian Audio. Originally both came pre-installed with Android 9, so we get native DSD playback support as well. Recently the price of brand new G8X with Dual Screen case combo fell to $245 here. Absurd low price to an otherwise excellent phone. Bought one in a jiffy and very happy with the Meridian tuned audio.

With the current reshuffle of LG Mobile division's top management their direction and priorities have changed.

Outcome:

1)
LG will mainly concentrate on experimental concepts like LG Wing. New concepts requires a lot of energy and manpower so the development team from Korea mainly responsible for LG flagships like G & V series phones will now concentrate on experimental concept phones and a traditional top-tier V series 5G phone. V series will have QuadDACs but without any audio tuning houses to save cost. Take the latest V60 as an example.

2) The experimental phones will be for marketing reasons, generating hype, drawing consumer attention and grabbing head lines. From a strategic business perspective this type of products are very important in the product portfolio. Just think of Samsung Galaxy Fold and how they can sell the phone in huge quantities with such an exuberant high price with fat profit margins.

3) From low to mid-tier products upto Velvet, LG will now outsource from Chinese ODMs to save in-house development cost. Bad news. Expect no QuadDACs here.

4) Under previous management if you look at LG G6, G7, G8, G8X, V30, V35, V40, V50 they all look very similar. Same industrial no nonsense design but with little design flair or snazzy looks. BTW I love the design & looks of my V30+ & G8X. Under new management its all about design. Just look at Velvet & Wing. When you splurge more money and effort on design, something has to give. Out goes QuadDAC and audio tuning houses like Meridian Audio & B&O.

5) Lets be realistic, the highest selling flagships in the world gives a damn to audio jack and its audio quality. So why should we expect it from LG? They are out in the market to make money, not to satisfy the tiny group of audio enthusiasts like us.

I say all this with a heavy heart as a audio lover. I hope LG continues the old trend of QuadDACs & collaboration with audio tuning houses in their future flagships.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #832 of 973
I have a carrier V40 that updates to Android 10 and all went to hell with audio. Looking to dump it and likely get an unlocked V40--preferably one with Android 9. V50 is heavier and bulkier due to the 5G modem and bigger batt--but it's the "underpowered" 5G first version that i heard to stay clear of. The V50 on just is getting too heavy for me...V40 is as heavy as i want to get for a phone i carry around all day. LG Wing @ 263g..no thank! One of the best things about the new Sonys is the manageable weight of well under 200g.

Also, any phone past the V50 will come with the dreaded audio-neutering Android 10 OS.

The V40 also has a truly unlocked version (V405qa7) needed for full T-Mobile features. Things are a bit murkier with the V50 for compatibility from what i've seen .

Anybody still use a factory unlocked V40 successfully on T-Mobile?

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #833 of 973
But isn't Usb Audio Player Pro a solution since it should bypass whatever android is doing while processing digital to analog sound?
I noticed that while playing music with uapp, the sound settings of V40 itself have no effect. So, i would say it's a good quick fix without the hassle of switching the os.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #834 of 973
Hi everyone! Hope I am in the right place to be asking this. Considering getting an LG V40 or V50 to be used a as ‘DAP’.

Will I notice a tangible improvement in sound quality when using Amazon Music HD as source with Bluetooth headphones that support AptxHD (eg Sennheiser Momentum 3) on an Android Phone (eg LG V30/V40/V50) vs. Same headphones on an iPhone X (which would be AAC)?
Does anyone have personal experiences?

thank you!!

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #835 of 973
I have a carrier V40 that updates to Android 10 and all went to hell with audio. Looking to dump it and likely get an unlocked V40--preferably one with Android 9. V50 is heavier and bulkier due to the 5G modem and bigger batt--but it's the "underpowered" 5G first version that i heard to stay clear of. The V50 on just is getting too heavy for me...V40 is as heavy as i want to get for a phone i carry around all day. LG Wing @ 263g..no thank! One of the best things about the new Sonys is the manageable weight of well under 200g.

Also, any phone past the V50 will come with the dreaded audio-neutering Android 10 OS.

The V40 also has a truly unlocked version (V405qa7) needed for full T-Mobile features. Things are a bit murkier with the V50 for compatibility from what i've seen .

Anybody still use a factory unlocked V40 successfully on T-Mobile?

When you thought to stick to 4G then why not G8X?

In short, LG G8X -> 4G, QuadDAC, Meridian Audio tuning, FullHD OLED display, stereo speakers, 4000 mAh battery, solid battery life & 192 grams. If comes pre-installed with Android 9, support for native DSD playback as well. However you will miss on inbuilt MQA support for QuadDAC.

Contrary to belief G8X is not based upon G8. They are two entirely different phones. LG took the V50 and tried to make a better dual screen device out of it. Thus V50S was born. Then they removed the 5G modem from V50S to save cost and licensing fees to Qualcomm and we get the G8X. It was the last flagship that came out with Android 9 pre-installed.

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #836 of 973
Just disable all updates from System and Developer settings to remain in Android 9.

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #837 of 973
But isn't Usb Audio Player Pro a solution since it should bypass whatever android is doing while processing digital to analog sound?
I noticed that while playing music with uapp, the sound settings of V40 itself have no effect. So, i would say it's a good quick fix without the hassle of switching the os.

LG had disabled native DSD playback support from Android 10. No matter what music app you use on Android, even UAPP, if the basic configuration and support is disabled on Android driver level the app could do nothing. LG have disabled DoP on Android 10, the mechanism to send DSD streams over PCM. So the only way left is to encode the DSD stream to PCM and then send the data which lowers audio quality.

I am a DSD lover myself. However due to limited availability 80% of my collection is PCM and 20% DSD. Modern HiRes PCMs have become so good it is hard to perceive any difference in my human ears. With old PCM recording the difference with DSD could be perceived. Now-a-days almost everything is in PCM be it MP3, FLAC, WAV, OGG, AAC file formats. And well recorded and ripped 24 bit, 96 kHz FLACs are sonically indistinguishable to my DSD64.

Recently I did a A/B testing with my LG G8X (Android 10) and my friends V40 (Android 9). Both phones have Meridian Audio tuned QuadDACs. In the PCM space I noticed zero audible difference between the two. So anybody who does not care about native DSD playback can safely upgrade their LG to Android 10.

When it comes to DSD playback V40 have a definitive advantage as it is capable to handle native DSD playback on Android 9. Gain is higher and details are more present. G8X on Android 10 struggles with DSD, performing software encoding of DSD to PCM and as such loosing the DSD brilliance.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #838 of 973
When you thought to stick to 4G then why not G8X (vs V40)?

Several reasons:
V40 about 30g lighter (even before the even heavier second screen add-on)
V40 has better display--significantly more PPI as G8x is basically 1080.
V40 has better (wider angle) cameras (f/1.5) and more lenses
V40 (unlocked) has band 71 needed for full T-Mobile functionality (while i still have it)--G8X does not
V40 can be had in the superior Morrocan Blue color
V40 is a "V" and G8X is a "G" so there will be some audio/video differences in favor of the V40 :)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #839 of 973
When you thought to stick to 4G then why not G8X (vs V40)?

Several reasons:
V40 about 30g lighter (even before the even heavier second screen add-on)
V40 has better display--significantly more PPI as G8x is basically 1080.
V40 has better (wider angle) cameras (f/1.5) and more lenses
V40 (unlocked) has band 71 needed for full T-Mobile functionality (while i still have it)--G8X does not
V40 can be had in the superior Morrocan Blue color
V40 is a "V" and G8X is a "G" so there will be some audio/video differences in favor of the V40 :)

If I was you, the only viable cause to retain a V40 would have been support for Band 71 for T-Mobile.

My reasons to stick to G8X would be:
1) G8X is 30 g heavier but provides a substantially larger 4000 mAh battery and solid battery life.
2) V40 have higher QuadHD display, but display driver IC has much higher base power consumption leading to poor battery life. G8X is the better pick for me here as LG fixed the power consumption issue. Also my naked human eyes cannot see any difference is resolution over my QuadHD V30+ & FullHD G8X panels.
3) V40 have more lens, but G8X takes better quality pictures & videos due to improved camera algorithms and a year of LG's effort.
4) Color is subjective and varies from person to person. I like black.
5) Well from objective standpoint both V40 & G8X have been measured and Quad DAC performance is near identical. Both running on Android 9 the only difference is G8X does not support MQA in QuadDAC. MQA is not important to me.
6) G8X comes with Snapdragon 855 while V40 comes with older Snapdragon 845
7) I enjoy the bundled Dual screen case with my G8X. Awesome multitasking capabilities which I can only dream on my V30+. When I go out I just take the phone, not the case.

But in the end I think everybody is different having different priorities. Good luck. :relaxed:

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #840 of 973
LG had disabled native DSD playback support from Android 10. No matter what music app you use on Android, even UAPP, if the basic configuration and support is disabled on Android driver level the app could do nothing. LG have disabled DoP on Android 10, the mechanism to send DSD streams over PCM. So the only way left is to encode the DSD stream to PCM and then send the data which lowers audio quality.
i checked dsd support with one plus 7 pro which has android 10, and i think i did it with v40 too. i used the usb cable of aune s8 dac to usb-c of the smartphone and it said DSD 128/256 on the display of the dac. for this i entered dsd settings of uapp and chose native dsd. so looks like uapp is able to work with it. i'll have to check what happens while playing local files on v40 itself via uapp, but i expect dsd will work in this case too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back