LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #691 of 973
Thanks, @Chris Kaoss. Once upon a time I knew that, but everything seems to be slipping out of my brain...

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #692 of 973
My pleasure. :)

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #694 of 973

Most IEM's sound exceptional with the LG V lineup as for headphones as long as they are not planar generally it should be able to drive them okay. I have found however that once you exceed 150ohms audio quality does start to diminish and you do need more power. It is still a phone and not a desktop amp after all.

If you are looking more for some suggestions as to what headphones or earphones to purchase I suggest you start a new thread stating your source (V40), music tastes, budget, and whether you want IEM's, Open Back headphones, or closed back headphones as well as any other details you think might be important like headphones you've had in the past, ones you liked, ones you didn't like. Open that thread and I'll be happy to help you out however this thread us primarily for discussing the phone rather than earphone and headphone buying suggestions.

Should you create that thread feel free to message me the link though so I can give you some more specific advice. You'll also get more responses that way.

Thanks
JG

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #695 of 973
Most IEM's sound exceptional with the LG V lineup as for headphones as long as they are not planar generally it should be able to drive them okay. I have found however that once you exceed 150ohms audio quality does start to diminish and you do need more power. It is still a phone and not a desktop amp after all.

If you are looking more for some suggestions as to what headphones or earphones to purchase I suggest you start a new thread stating your source (V40), music tastes, budget, and whether you want IEM's, Open Back headphones, or closed back headphones as well as any other details you think might be important like headphones you've had in the past, ones you liked, ones you didn't like. Open that thread and I'll be happy to help you out however this thread us primarily for discussing the phone rather than earphone and headphone buying suggestions.

Should you create that thread feel free to message me the link though so I can give you some more specific advice. You'll also get more responses that way.

Thanks
JG
ok. Thank you

regards,
Simon

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #696 of 973
just fyi have both the v30 and v40 from today , fyi or anyone interest : difference in sound is not big .
Subtle

v30 is a little more dreamy/soundstage with sparkly topping ( bright?) , v40 more fluid
but very hard to notice at a first
not sure 100% one is better then the other , I will revisit in some days; I would expect taking time to fine eq them and ABing them eq'ed to 100 person , difference can't be heard or possibly isn't nearly there anymore or so.

( I have also a 9038s and a btr5 )

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #697 of 973
Thanks for the insight.
Will stay with my V30 a little longer.
Have the Btr5 too. :)

Sadly, there's no mobile r2r in the near future. :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #699 of 973
one thing feels clear at least , they both lack the ultimate base ( presence or extension or handling etc combination of those ), and they share a little edgy yet light / easy pleasurable presentation
9038s feels superior in almost any aspect ( bass drive or bass handling too just one of them ), but is also more fatiguing to listen in relax for long sessions

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #700 of 973
one thing feels clear at least , they both lack the ultimate base ( presence or extension or handling etc combination of those ), and they share a little edgy yet light / easy pleasurable presentation
9038s feels superior in almost any aspect ( bass drive or bass handling too just one of them ), but is also more fatiguing to listen in relax for long sessions
Thanks for the objective comparison between the two, that was most needed.

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #701 of 973
welcome! ,
I wanted to wait a bit more to be fair but as you said
most needed
opinions are wanted on the subject

I also prefer v30 ( v40? ) dynamics handlings , vs 9038s
macrodynamics handling, 9038s can feel narrow at times .or somewhat shorter range
not sure about micro/micro transients as 9038s has better resolution and blacker presentation ,
as I already noticed I would need a bit more time

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #702 of 973
Yeah.
That's the reason i like the PM-3 on my V30. It'll bring a little more meat to the bones. :)

But that isn't the dac at all. Add a little more powerful amp to them and the missed extension at the bottom becomes less.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #704 of 973
Hello,

today I order a new V40. 399€ with postage. I cant wait for it.
Thanks to all.

regards,
Simon

Congrats enjoy one of the best built in dac of all smartphones.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #705 of 973
Paid a whole lot more for it when it was new, but very happy with it! Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back