LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #661 of 973
tomorrow i'm getting v40. quite excited because for almost 10 years (when i have sold my hifi setup) i didn't had proper dac (mobile or non-mobile). should i instantly upgrade the android to the latest version available? i was in doubt to buy some budget dac (+-150 euro) instead of this phone, but after reading all the posts in this theme i got impression that v40 outperforms dac-s in that price range

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #662 of 973
i recently bought lgv40. The synergy with hd600 is excellent. With my iem ie8 i have to buy an adapter probably but i am very satisfied overall. My only "issue" is that the loudspeakers performance it is not very good if i compare it with my meizu 16th.

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #663 of 973
Digital out: very nice w/ Tidal high res

3.5mm out, high impedance setting amp OK, but my 3 cans HD-600, HEX v2 and MD-4XX reveal the same thing about the chip. Edgy. Even getting morphit and mimicing various Audeze cans didn't help much. My ancient DAP the FiiO X-3 sounds not as defined, but oh so much more musical and relaxed. Oh well, I needed a phone anyhow.

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #664 of 973

3.5mm out, high impedance setting amp OK, but my 3 cans HD-600, HEX v2 and MD-4XX reveal the same thing about the chip. Edgy. Even getting morphit and mimicing various Audeze cans didn't help much. My ancient DAP the FiiO X-3 sounds not as defined, but oh so much more musical and relaxed. Oh well, I needed a phone anyhow.
I havent tried x3 but my Experience with wolfson dac with my sflo2 Player (dual wm8740) was very positive. I used it with my hd600 together with fiio e12.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #665 of 973
Oh well, I needed a phone and streamer anyhow.

Let me be 100% clear, the edginess is pervasive, and its "odd order" ish. vs. even order/HD.

The chip handles depth incorrectly. Music is going along and when you have an instrument in the front of the soundstage - like a lead singer centered on both channels - and then some wind or string instrument comes in - and is mid stage left on my Gumby/Koetsu - it's thrown to the rear of the soundstage by the v40. So it's row A or row EE, and not much in the middle. That I can take, although it's wrong.

But the hard icy edge on almost every sound reminds me of the glowering intro of "Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt 1" despite mellowing the sound with morphit (a HEX v2 morphed to sound like a Audeze (tried LCD-2 LCD-3, LCD-4 and more) is there to wreck any of the good points. Not for me.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #666 of 973
i have sold my v40 that i just tryed for a two days. it was just too big piece of phone for my taste. i cannot tell a lot about the sound because i have tryed only cheapish soundmagic e11 and sennheiser hd201 that both of them didn't activated high impedance mode. but sure the sound was better then from my lenovo k51c78. now i need to find another great sounding phone with a bit of smaller dimensions

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #667 of 973
Oh well, I needed a phone and streamer anyhow.

Let me be 100% clear, the edginess is pervasive, and its "odd order" ish. vs. even order/HD.

The chip handles depth incorrectly. Music is going along and when you have an instrument in the front of the soundstage - like a lead singer centered on both channels - and then some wind or string instrument comes in - and is mid stage left on my Gumby/Koetsu - it's thrown to the rear of the soundstage by the v40. So it's row A or row EE, and not much in the middle. That I can take, although it's wrong.

But the hard icy edge on almost every sound reminds me of the glowering intro of "Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt 1" despite mellowing the sound with morphit (a HEX v2 morphed to sound like a Audeze (tried LCD-2 LCD-3, LCD-4 and more) is there to wreck any of the good points. Not for me.

I find that the V40 has an edginess in its sound too. I am using HD 58X, Sony N3, Final Audio E1000, Pinnacle PX and a few other iems. Using "slow" digital filter helps sometimes a bit.
Do you have a recommendation for a mid fi dap or desktop dac-amp without this edginess?

Overall however the V40 I believe is a product with a good balance between smartphone with usability and dap.

About the depth of the sound, I also heard something strange happening but I am not so experienced to put it to words.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #668 of 973
Most recent software update changed the volume bar on my 40. It's no longer in numbered steps, rather just a typical phone step style. Has this happened to anyone else?

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #669 of 973
I find that the V40 has an edginess in its sound too. I am using HD 58X, Sony N3, Final Audio E1000, Pinnacle PX and a few other iems. Using "slow" digital filter helps sometimes a bit.
Do you have a recommendation for a mid fi dap or desktop dac-amp without this edginess?

Overall however the V40 I believe is a product with a good balance between smartphone with usability and dap.

About the depth of the sound, I also heard something strange happening but I am not so experienced to put it to words.

Have a couple of low end DAP's and I don't know much about any others.

However, I love my Schiit Gumby 1.

Probably even if the v40 sounded great direct on cans I wouldn't use it much as I'm addicted to big headphones, and most of them are tough to drive.

Mar 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #670 of 973
Hi,
forgive the little crosspost, but I don't know which section is most suitable for my question.
I use UAPP on my V40. With the streaming from Tidal of MQA albums I noticed interruptions between songs that are particularly annoying in live recordings.
Can they be eliminated?
thanks
A

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #671 of 973
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #673 of 973

Is there any consensus about the V30 sounding better with the Sennheiser HD6** series? I'm asking the question since many users confirmed the HD600 can be well driven on the V30 thread.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #674 of 973
Is there any consensus about the V30 sounding better with the Sennheiser HD6** series? I'm asking the question since many users confirmed the HD600 can be well driven on the V30 thread.

I read that LG changed between the v30 and v40. They hired an audiophile outfit (Meridian) to come in and alter the tunings. I've read some that hate it and some that love it. I've never heard any version but mine (v40), so I have no opinion on that. I can drive my: HD-600, HEX v2, MD 4XX fine volume wise. It's the quality of the sonics that can't match my low end DAP's, or my medium/high buck Gumby (not even in the same Continent). There is certainly a troubling lack of bass under 100 Hz, and sort of a nasal fussy tone in the upper mids to my ears. The mids and highs have definition, and the highs have some nice decay to them, but no. I mean if you commute on a train, get your high efficiency closed backs and go for it. I'm retired, my commuting days are over - so that DAC is 99% of my story.

Doesn't bother me, I needed an updated capable cell, and as a streamer that is battery driven and 100% bit perfect from TIDAL - it solves a whole slew of issues that PC/Apple platforms have and I don't have to worry about storage either. It's true that TIDAL has holes (audio labels), but I've been able to put 75% of my CD collection up for sale to help pay the freight.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #675 of 973
I don't think so.
It depends on the volume you're listening with your headphones.
The V-Series are capable to drive most headphones well, but not as good as a proper amp.
At higher volumes they tend to raise the higher frequencies bc the lg amp is running out of juice.
At normal volumes (~85db) it sounds quite nice, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back