LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Jan 13, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #646 of 973
BTW playing DSD will also disable selection of digital filter in the Quad DAC screen since DSD is already 1-bit, and so bypasses the entire stage of the D-A conversion where digital filters are required.

That's the best part about it: pure audio unmarred by messing with the EQ settings. However as an answer to question number one, I *have* noticed the stock music app not playing some DSD files that UAPP plays. I've also noticed it annoyingly clipping the first second off a DSD track. If you're converting using ISO2DSD, experiment with the settings till you find something it likes. I personally like XRECODE for the conversions... very nice app reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #647 of 973
BTW playing DSD will also disable selection of digital filter in the Quad DAC screen since DSD is already 1-bit, and so bypasses the entire stage of the D-A conversion where digital filters are required.

That's the best part about it: pure audio unmarred by messing with the EQ settings.

Except the Quad DAC digital filters are NOT like EQ: Different from EQ, they are NOT a pre-processing step, they do NOT lose sample accuracy, and they do NOT affect the frequency response. A Delta-Sigma DAC which doesn't have a user selectable digital filter (which I believe was the case on V20 and earlier) still applies one, it just doesn't give the user a choice.

I am sorry to be harping about that. I too am a "no EQ kind of guy". But I do think the distinction is significant :ksc75smile:

I did not mean to contest your arguments for DSD: I've always been skeptical about PCM, particularly the relatively low sample rates of Red Book. 44KHz is sufficient to reproduce a 22KHz dial tone (thank you, Nyquist). But for music, that's preciously few samples to describe a complex and constantly changing wave curve. Given that, I am amazed how well modern DACs are able to reproduce it nevertheless. And of course that's where those filters come into play...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #648 of 973
At Tmobile they better start they better start carrying LG phones again (a la V60) or I'm going to dump them move elsewhere.

Keep in mind, as mentioned numerous times, the cheap V40 is going to sound just as good as up to the V60.

Same chip (9218P) + same tuning (Meridian) = same sound (Top-Notch).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #649 of 973
Have warranty mobile they better start they better start carrying LG phones again (a la V60) or I'm going to dump them move elsewhere.

Keep in mind, as mentioned numerous times, the cheap V40 is going to sound just as good as up to the V60.

Same chip (9218P) + same tuning (Meridian) = same sound (Top-Notch).

The lower price is exactly why I bought the V40... I think no phone is worth more than say 600€, and I got this one (completely new and sealed) for 420€, a price at which in the over-over-priced market of HiFi stuff you would just be able to buy a good portable DAC/AMP like, Dragonfly Cobalt, and in Italy not even Chord Mojo or iFi Micro, which I found at about 500€, but forget about smartphone functionalities... So even though updates would be welcome, I'm not complaining because this phone is awesome, and in my 10 years experience on Android devices I've yet to see an update which improved anything at all, except maybe UI.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #652 of 973
I wouldn't switch from a G7 to a V40, considering they are same-year products. Sure, V40 is better (probably not in sound, but in display, camera and likely in battery) , but it's not worth a switch. I would wait for a V60 or V70 if I were you...

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #653 of 973
I wouldn't switch from a G7 to a V40, considering they are same-year products.

The V40 is about 6 months newer and more importantly is the first phone with the DAC tuned by Meridian Audio. Most people think the V40 and up (including G8) sounds better with the new tuning. G7 and back (V30) has original tuning by B&O and can be a bit bright depending on material. I have both a V30s and V40 and definitely prefer the V40 sound.

There's actually quite a few hardware upgrades...RAM and camera for one. Here's the full list (notice they mention the Meridian tuning as well):
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/...37-lg-v40-vs-lg-g7-thinq-whats-the-difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back