LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Apr 26, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #721 of 973
I do miss the comparison with your dap in that writing.

Fiio X3 & Cayin C5 listed in my signature. Neither has near the detail of the LG, but both play louder w/o distress and neither has the bright/brittle treble of the v40. This is true with the HD600, HEX v2, 4XX

Of course, there's a hugh hstep up with a desktop system, noone's question this.

That's what I was trying to quantify. I read a lot of encomiums here re: the v40 chip, but compared to what - not clear.

All my headphones, except my iems, sounds better out of my desk system. No wonder why this is happen.

Yes. No wonder.

In your case, the HD600 needs way more than 2v output voltage to shine, while the Hex needs more current to best.
The amp on the V-series isn't capable to deliver such swings.

Hmmm. My HEX v2 needs .143 volts to get to 90 db. I never listen over 95 db peak, so that should be enough. HD-600 need .23 volts to reach 90 db, and since I usually listen in the high 70's/low 80's that should do.

I found the bass to be weak on both (maybe 2v is overstated?). I found the treble to be a mixed bag - very good detail most of the time, but with a steely haze hanging over the soundand distresingly - piercing at times. I have yet to hear a Sabre chip I like. I though Meridian getting to tune it would help - so I could dump my DAP's.

It seems I'm using my LG v40 the way that's best for me - as my cell and my conduit to get Tidal hi res to my desktop DAC. In that role its superb.

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #722 of 973
As you said.
The 2 volts out of the V40 isn't enough to cover the whole freq spectrum as intended.
The most of the amp power goes to the low freqs, in every hifi (audio) system.
So there's no exception on the V-series.

As i stated earlier, the V-series goes sharper with the increased volume bc it can't deliver the power for the lows.
Same with lower imp, especially planar, headphones, which needs a lot more current to make the lows sound adequate.

Nothing new in the audio world. :wink:

I guess every battery powered device will fail to sound like a desk system bc of the missing power compared to them.

Imo, the power needed to reach a given db level is half of the truth.
There's a lot more to consider.

Glad you like it the way it is supposed to. :beerchug:

May 6, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #723 of 973
Great input in this thread. Helped me with my decision if I should get the V40.

I had envisioned upgrading from my Pixel 2 XL to probably the Pixel 5 XL at the end of the year and had my eye on the Sony ZX-507 DAP for music, but an accident left my screen broken and microphone for video not working. I just could not justify the crazy quotes I was given to repair it, and with the world situation at the moment I've taken a couple pay-cuts, so decided the solution was to find an older top-line phone that could play great music from a jack.

After researching for a while the choice was LG, but which one!!?! Looked at V30, V30+, G7, G8 and V40. Features plus price lead me to the V40.

I'm going to be running some Meze 99 Classics from it, hoping for an enjoyable experience!

May 6, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #724 of 973

I had envisioned upgrading from my Pixel 2 XL to probably the Pixel 5 XL at the end of the year and had my eye on the Sony ZX-507 DAP for music, but an accident left my screen broken and microphone for video not working. I just could not justify the crazy quotes I was given to repair it, and with the world situation at the moment I've taken a couple pay-cuts, so decided the solution was to find an older top-line phone that could play great music from a jack.

After researching for a while the choice was LG, but which one!!?! Looked at V30, V30+, G7, G8 and V40. Features plus price lead me to the V40.

I'm going to be running some Meze 99 Classics from it, hoping for an enjoyable experience!

V40 is the best deal.

May 8, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #725 of 973

The phone turned up early, before the case and screen protector, so not game to put my SIM in and use as a phone yet, but set it up, installed UAPP and loaded on some music... wow, I'm very happy with the sound, was up all night loading music on it to hear how it sounded. Just wanted to share : )

May 13, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #726 of 973
Hey all, does anyone know how to disable LDAC on the V40?
I have the Shure Aonic 50 and when i toggle the button for stream over highest sound quality it switches to LDAC 96KHZ sampling rate and 32 BPS by default.
In this setting i hear a ton of buzzing in the higher notes with the Aonic 50, but when i switch to a lower sampling rate while still in LDAC these sounds go away. But the Aonics sound great in APTXHD no issues, so i'd prefer to just have it default to APTXHD.
With my mi mix 2S, i have an option to disable LDAC by default, which i did because i got the same problems in LDAC with the Aonic 50 on the mi mix 2S as well.
I have looked everywhere within the phone itself, some on XDA, but no luck.
Anyone know if this is possible or have a solution?
FWIW, i emailed shure about this, and they were able to confirm my findings, though the person who tested it said their pixel2 defaulted to 88KHZ and 24 BPS. I couldn't even get the V40 to switch to that configuration, i'd tried before writing them.
But they did confirm what i found at those higher sampling rates, still waiting to hear back from them.

May 13, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #727 of 973
Maybe you can open developer settings and, while bluetooth is connected to you headphone, uncheck ldac and check aptxhd there.

Works for me on V30.
Tested with my BTR5. :wink:

Cheers
Chris

May 13, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #728 of 973
Maybe you can open developer settings and, while bluetooth is connected to you headphone, uncheck ldac and check aptxhd there.

Works for me on V30.

Cheers
Chris

Works for me on V30.

Cheers
Chris
I just want to get some context to make sure i'm not missing something. With you're BTR5, did it automaticly connect via AAC? any headphone i've connected which has aptx hD LDAC or both has with my V40.
To get either of these enabled aside from dev options, i have to go into the device settings for the paired headphone, then theres a toggle for use most stable connection or higher quality connection. in it's description it lazily says, 'stream in highest quality using the APTX HD LDAC codec."
on my Mi mix 2S in that same menu is where i unchecked LDAC iirc, it's put away atm, but is that where you're switching off LDAC on your V30? or from somewhere else?
only way i can switch to APTXHD from LDAC is from dev options, but it doesn't stay and i have to switch from LDAC the next time i power the headphones on.
I also tried changing the headphones name by adding _NOLDAC at the end of the name, as adding -NOAAC forces the V40 to use APTX on capable headphones True Wireless iems etc. Thanks to @WesennTony for that tip. That didn't work however in this case. Then i left the toggle on the most stable connection, renamed the headphones with the ending of -NOAAC and changed the codec to APTXHD in dev options. That didn't work either.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #729 of 973
I found the bass to be weak on both (maybe 2v is overstated?). I found the treble to be a mixed bag - very good detail most of the time, but with a steely haze hanging over the soundand distresingly - piercing at times. I have yet to hear a Sabre chip I like. I though Meridian getting to tune it would help - so I could dump my DAP's.
matches well my opinion , would add that both v30 and v40 are musical enough , but music parts as instruments or voices separation is (definitely) not hi end , or even not sufficient at times :confused:

May 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #731 of 973
I just want to get some context to make sure i'm not missing something. With you're BTR5, did it automaticly connect via AAC? any headphone i've connected which has aptx hD LDAC or both has with my V40.
To get either of these enabled aside from dev options, i have to go into the device settings for the paired headphone, then theres a toggle for use most stable connection or higher quality connection. in it's description it lazily says, 'stream in highest quality using the APTX HD LDAC codec."
on my Mi mix 2S in that same menu is where i unchecked LDAC iirc, it's put away atm, but is that where you're switching off LDAC on your V30? or from somewhere else?
only way i can switch to APTXHD from LDAC is from dev options, but it doesn't stay and i have to switch from LDAC the next time i power the headphones on.
I also tried changing the headphones name by adding _NOLDAC at the end of the name, as adding -NOAAC forces the V40 to use APTX on capable headphones True Wireless iems etc. Thanks to @WesennTony for that tip. That didn't work however in this case. Then i left the toggle on the most stable connection, renamed the headphones with the ending of -NOAAC and changed the codec to APTXHD in dev options. That didn't work either.
Yes and no.
To make sure the LG isn't using Ldac is to check "most stable" or on "best quality" you've to set it to aptxhd in developer settings by yourself each time. Screenshot_20200513-141318.pngScreenshot_20200513-141331.png

Edit.
On "most stable", the btr5 is connected with aac automatically.
Didn't changed the settings in developer settings when on that state.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #732 of 973
I'll ask this question here since there are more v40 users than v60 users, I suspect.

I noticed on my v60 that the none of the dac effects (sound preset, digital filter, balance, as well as the eq) work with my wired headphones when using Amazon HD Music app. However, all the effects work with Spotify, Idagio, and Primephonic.

May 13, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #733 of 973
Basic question-have a V40. If I want to go digitally out to a amp/dac, does it need otg the way the older phones did? (I only see otg cables for the old mini usb connector).

May 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #734 of 973
Yes and no.
To make sure the LG isn't using Ldac is to check "most stable" or on "best quality" you've to set it to aptxhd in developer settings by yourself each time.Screenshot_20200513-141318.pngScreenshot_20200513-141331.png
Yeah that's what i've had to do. oh well, at least it will switch. thanks for your help.

May 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #735 of 973
I had to join the 40 to a printer slot (Gumby), so it took two wires and I think the one off the phone was OTG. But I'll not bet on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back