LG V30
Nov 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #5,986 of 6,140
Absolutely! That's exactly why I bought mine a couple of years ago. I already have a phone, so didn't need another one. At the time, the LG V30 was one of the most viable DAPs you could get at a bargain price. You happened to get a free phone with it too. I've got my local music library on it, Qobuz, TIDAL and Roon. I have Discord, WhatsApp, other social media on it and variety of other apps too.

The sound quality is is still very good given its price.

However, the big downside is that it's a very old phone now in tech terms. Mine is still on Android version 8.0.0 and have had no security patches since 2019. It's a sealed battery although you may be able to get it replaced by a mobile phone repair shop - I bought a spare battery for it a few months ago and will get it fitted soon. I have a noticeable decline in battery life at the moment. Just be aware of the battery decline if you buy a used one.
Thank you! I won’t be using it as a phone, just my DAP. Thanks for the battery warnings. I won’t even activate the phone function.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #5,988 of 6,140
I bought Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 Ohm) on Amazon and tried it on my LG V30. My experience on this can is a bit confusing to me, have not satisfied but at the same time loved it. I should mention that I have not experienced this level headset before, so I might be the problem in this chain.

I can hear some details that I have not heard before but this is unfortunately the only good side. The basses are neither boomy nor punchy at all. Voice level is pretty low. And there is a sound that shouldn't have been. Like the headset struggle to output the voice but something is retarding it. I cannot explain it professionally.

Anybody understands me? LOL

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #5,989 of 6,140
Thank you! I won’t be using it as a phone, just my DAP. Thanks for the battery warnings. I won’t even activate the phone function.
Got my used V30 this week and the navigation is everything I hoped for. I will probably buy at least one more a
For semi-permanent installation in my garage where I have the best audio system in our house!

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #5,991 of 6,140
Have you had any problems with the software? Have you experienced any shortcomings compared to the original camera software? I think there is a dark mode feature as well.
> Have you had any problems with the software?
No
UI in Android 11 is much faster and smoother than stock

> Have you experienced any shortcomings compared to the original camera software?
I use a custom google camera app, it has a lot of features

> I think there is a dark mode feature as well.
there are many settings there

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #5,992 of 6,140
I've had the v30+ unlocked and rooted on oreo for quite a few years now. What's best for audio now? I remember back then custom roms couldn't access the DAC and pie apparently had some issues so I never bothered but oreo is getting a bit old. Is there any rom in particular that works best? I should probably add that I have a H930DS.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #5,995 of 6,140
crdroid is best?
it's up to you what is best for you
open source is so wonderful that it gives you the opportunity to choose
on andoid 11 - yes
Or do all of them support the DAC
all normal roms for v30 have a dac control panel which has more features than stock, if you looked at the link you saw what you can do there

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #5,996 of 6,140
it's up to you what is best for you
open source is so wonderful that it gives you the opportunity to choose
on andoid 11 - yes

all normal roms for v30 have a dac control panel which has more features than stock, if you looked at the link you saw what you can do there
Yeah for other phones it's a simple 'lineage is probably the most reliable' so there's no need to look at others, but for the v30 there's a lot more to decide between. Good to know that the roms all support the dac unlike before, thanks.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #5,998 of 6,140
Is there a way to get back the 75 step volume control on custom roms? I never thought I'd miss it so much until I lost it.
Sounds like it's using the regular Qualcomm DAC. I've studied the ESS driver in various LG models quite extensively, and if you only have 15 steps (instead of the usual 75 steps) my guess is that ROM isn't using the ESS driver. Or not using it correctly.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #5,999 of 6,140
Sounds like it's using the regular Qualcomm DAC. I've studied the ESS driver in various LG models quite extensively, and if you only have 15 steps (instead of the usual 75 steps) my guess is that ROM isn't using the ESS driver. Or not using it correctly.
The toggle to activate the DAC still works fine though, and so do the filters. The rom also allows force HIM and aux, and they both definitely work.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #6,000 of 6,140
The toggle to activate the DAC still works fine though, and so do the filters. The rom also allows force HIM and aux, and they both definitely work.

I agree that is puzzling, and does sound like it's working. Maybe they're using Digital Volume Control (DVC) rather than the Analog Volume Control (AVC) of the ESS -- which is a key component in its high SQ, avoiding the resolution loss and noise caused by DVC.

I have no firsthand experience with that ROM. I am merely commenting based on my knowledge of the DAC chip and its driver in LG phones. And I cannot think of a good reason why they would limit the number of volume steps when using the ESS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back