LG V30
Nov 20, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #5,536 of 6,140
East to drive ones, but as a dac mojo vs lg30?
I wouldn’t bother. Big hassle, not much to gain if you’re not after big driving power. I actually like the V30 better SQ-wise.

Nov 20, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #5,537 of 6,140
I have had the Hiby R6 which has the same dac chips. I am much happier with the V30 with my Cayin C5 headphone amplifier. One thing I can say is that phone manufacturers have perfected the user experience and battery life. The DX160 may be a better screen than the R6 but I doubt it will compare to the V30 in terms of resolution and speed. I experience very little battery loss when using the device for music, even with wifi and data enabled. The dac in the v30 is really good and the Catin amp really pushes it over the top.

Thanks for the reply.
Did you notice much when comparing sound quality? The v30 sounds great with high impedance mode activated, I am just looking to see if the dx160 would be much of an improvement.
I am also a little tired to having an extension cable alm the time to activate the high impedance mode. Haha

Nov 20, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #5,538 of 6,140
East to drive ones, but as a dac mojo vs lg30?

There is no benefit of carrying a second device/ dac, couz the dac in the V30 is top notch, except you are heading for a warmd sounding, imo.
Never heard a chord device because there's no need for. ^^
Maybe one day, but i think i'd go for the warmer sounding V-series to stay mobile as best as i can.
For desktop use, there's much better gear or AIO available, i think.
For me, it doesn't make any sense to attach a second device to any "V" while on the go.

Nov 20, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #5,539 of 6,140
Thanks for the reply.
Did you notice much when comparing sound quality? The v30 sounds great with high impedance mode activated, I am just looking to see if the dx160 would be much of an improvement.
I am also a little tired to having an extension cable alm the time to activate the high impedance mode. Haha
I don't personally think you will think there is much improvement. The only difference being you will have a high gain switch. I never used high gain on the R6 because listening level was adequate. There was no improvement of sound with high gain only that I could use a lower volume. With the Cayin C5 amp and the V30 the power of the amp made a noticeable difference mainly the bass boost allowed to get more out of my headphones, HD660s which tend to lack a little bass. I think your $400 would be better spent on an amp but it takes some experimentation to get the right one. You don't need a DAC/AMP.

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #5,540 of 6,140
@cenix

I have the HIM notification app on my V30. I do it in this order:

Headphones/IEMS -> Faael Impedance Adapter -> AUX Cable

Do not plug in the AUX cable into the V30 while connecting everything else. Connect everything first. Then plug the AUX cable into the V30 with everything attached. Wait for the 50ohm notification to pop up. Once you see that, while leaving the aux cabled plugged, unplug the Faael Impedance adapter. Be careful not to disconnect the AUX cable or you'll need to start over. Once the adapter is removed, plug in any headphones or IEMs you want. The V30 will stay in HIM as long as the AUX cable is not disconnected.

**Edit - The Faael Impedance adapter degrades the sound so it's advisable not to leave it connected in the chain while listening. You'll have better results by removing it.

This has been covered before in this thread. If you keep the high-impedance adapter plugged in serial with your earphones then half the power output will just be going into warming up the adapter. You also need an extension cord (a short one will do). Plug the adapter into the cord and then plug the cord in the phone. Then remove the adapter from the cord and plug in your phones.

Not to beat this dead horse until it's smeared over every page on this thread, but I have a request for clarification.

I have the V30+ and have performed the HIM trick both by preassembling the IEM-Impedance Adapter-Normal Adapter and assembling it as I'm listening from the phone out and then swapping out the high impedance adapter and in both cases, the phone shows HIM mode with the High impedance adapter in the series and then changes to external device mode once I complete the trick removing the high impedance adapter. Am I missing something to keep the phone in HIM.

On another note, unless I'm near pegging out the volume on my phone to drive an IEM, I feel the bass is fuller and highs less grating/sharp/pronounced when I drive an IEM in normal mode. I've noticed this on the BL-03, CNT1, No 3 and DM6. The only IEM that I feel benefits from external mode are the Moondrop Crescents, but that's because they need power. The Crescents are also fairly dark so a little treble energy does them no injustice. Has anyone observed this as well?

I also was intrigued by the distortion+noise measurements in normal mode vs eternal device mode. I'm curious if this is what I'm hearing. I feel everything sounds more cohesive in normal mode for the most part.

I've only read about the past 20 pages of the threads so please humor me. Thanks for all your comments along the way. I think I'll read the V30 tips thread since its shorter and hopefully it covers the important tricks!

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #5,541 of 6,140
I have the V30+ and have performed the HIM trick both by preassembling the IEM-Impedance Adapter-Normal Adapter and assembling it as I'm listening from the phone out and then swapping out the high impedance adapter and in both cases, the phone shows HIM mode with the High impedance adapter in the series and then changes to external device mode once I complete the trick removing the high impedance adapter. Am I missing something to keep the phone in HIM.
You need to do it this way:
1) Assemble extension cord->impedance adapter-> headphones.
2) Plug extension cord into phone.
3) Leaving the extension cord plugged in, remove the impedance adapter and then plug the headphones directly into the end of the extension cord.
The phone only runs its impedance-detection routine when the switch in the socket is tripped, so leaving the extension cord plugged in ensures that it remains in high-impedance mode.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #5,542 of 6,140
best earbud/iem match for the V30?

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #5,543 of 6,140
You need to do it this way:
1) Assemble extension cord->impedance adapter-> headphones.
2) Plug extension cord into phone.
3) Leaving the extension cord plugged in, remove the impedance adapter and then plug the headphones directly into the end of the extension cord.
The phone only runs its impedance-detection routine when the switch in the socket is tripped, so leaving the extension cord plugged in ensures that it remains in high-impedance mode.

This is exactly what I'm doing and I see when the High impedance adapter is in the series, the Quad DAC screen mentions something about 50-600 ohm mode and improving power for dynamics or something, then once I remove the high impedance adapter and plug in my IEM, the Quad DAC screen reads external device mode. It doesn't go back to normal but doesn't stay in HIM.

Edit:
I get what you're saying, if I start with the extension then high impedance plug then IEM, the DAC screen reads external device mode. If I assemble everything first then plug into the phone, the DAC screen has the 50-600 ohm HIM dialogue. Once I remove the high impedance adapter using either assembly method, I end up in external device mode once I plug in the IEMs.

I went through iterations of unplugging the IEMs first then high impedance adapter or unplugging the high impedance adapter first, disassembling that and plugging in the IEMs but in either case, without removing the extension, I end up in external device mode.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #5,544 of 6,140
Another A-B comparison to report back on: iPhone XS Max vs LG V30+

I've recently upgraded my iPhone 7 to an iPhone XS Max, mainly for the bigger screen that I can just about read without my reading glasses. It's a much better phone in almost every respect - camera, performance, build quality, etc,. I was thinking of ditching my LG V30+ as it's about the same size as my iPhone XS Max. Then I did an audio comparison and I was genuinely stunned. The LG V30+ is on a different planet compared to the iPhone XS Max. The difference blew me away.

So that's presented me with a dilemma. I simply cannot ditch the V30+ which functions as my DAP even after buying a premium Apple iPhone (last year's flagship). I would simply miss too much quality if I just listened to my music through the XS Max.

Setup was as follows:

iPhone XS Max
TIdal app installed - latest version
Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter
beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE in-ears plugged into adapter (as the iPhone has no 3.5mm headphone socket)
Playlist downloaded for offline use
Three sample tracks played via Tidal

LG V30+
beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE in-ears plugged directly into phone's headphone jack

Bonus points: streamed the same three tracks from Tidal via UAPP on the LG V30+. Audio quality improved even further! However, streaming isn't practical for me when travelling so I use downloaded playlists for offline playback. I don't have a similar app for my iPhone so I can only use Tidal for playback at the moment.

The LG V30+ is streets ahead of the iPhone XS Max for out-of-the-box audio quality playback from Tidal. The limiting factor on the iPhone seems to be the DAC in Apple's dongle. I really don't care about technical specs, I only listen to the music and decide which my ears prefer.

By the way, I went back to a pair of beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE in-ears as my preferred headphones for travel as these match beautifully with the LG V30+ for musicality and sound quality. They're not the most expensive IEMs, they're not the best on technical specs, they don't look like a premium set of headphones, but they just work incredibly well with the LG V30+. The remote on them is for the iPhone but I don't use it anyway. They're hard to get hold of now as beyerdynamic don't make them any more - they're selling poorer quality IEMs now.

I will check my iPhone's setup as I was surprised at how inferior it was. Overall, I do love the XS Max phone for everything else though and it is my main phone. However, the LG V30+ is my DAP when I want to listen to high quality music.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #5,545 of 6,140
Another A-B comparison to report back on: iPhone XS Max vs LG V30+

I've recently upgraded my iPhone 7 to an iPhone XS Max, mainly for the bigger screen that I can just about read without my reading glasses. It's a much better phone in almost every respect - camera, performance, build quality, etc,. I was thinking of ditching my LG V30+ as it's about the same size as my iPhone XS Max. Then I did an audio comparison and I was genuinely stunned. The LG V30+ is on a different planet compared to the iPhone XS Max. The difference blew me away.

So that's presented me with a dilemma. I simply cannot ditch the V30+ which functions as my DAP even after buying a premium Apple iPhone (last year's flagship). I would simply miss too much quality if I just listened to my music through the XS Max.

Setup was as follows:

iPhone XS Max
Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter
beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE in-ears plugged into adapter (as the iPhone has no 3.5mm headphone socket)

LG V30+
beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE in-ears plugged directly into phone's headphone jack

Bonus points: streamed the same three tracks from Tidal via UAPP on the LG V30+. Audio quality improved even further! However, streaming isn't practical for me when travelling so I use downloaded playlists for offline playback. I don't have a similar app for my iPhone so I can only use Tidal for playback at the moment.

The LG V30+ is streets ahead of the iPhone XS Max for out-of-the-box audio quality playback from Tidal. The limiting factor on the iPhone seems to be the DAC in Apple's dongle. I really don't care about technical specs, I only listen to the music and decide which my ears prefer.

By the way, I went back to a pair of beyerdynamic iDX 160 iE in-ears as my preferred headphones for travel as these match beautifully with the LG V30+ for musicality and sound quality. They're not the most expensive IEMs, they're not the best on technical specs, they don't look like a premium set of headphones, but they just work incredibly well with the LG V30+. The remote on them is for the iPhone but I don't use it anyway. They're hard to get hold of now as beyerdynamic don't make them any more - they're selling poorer quality IEMs now.

I will check my iPhone's setup as I was surprised at how inferior it was. Overall, I do love the XS Max phone for everything else though and it is my main phone. However, the LG V30+ is my DAP when I want to listen to high quality music.
Audio-wise there’s really nothing like LG’s Vs. I’mo looking into BT receivers to pair with my next phone, as it’s clear even the flagships won’t reach my V30’s standard. Especially not the flagships since it’s become a mark of distinction to remove the jack.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #5,546 of 6,140
Audio-wise there’s really nothing like LG’s Vs. I’mo looking into BT receivers to pair with my next phone, as it’s clear even the flagships won’t reach my V30’s standard. Especially not the flagships since it’s become a mark of distinction to remove the jack.

I have been very pleased using the FIIO BTR3 in LDAC with V30. Its good enough not to bother going the wires route especially when you are out and about. As a result I’ve now just ordered the newly released BTR5 that will take the quality higher than the BTR3 levels. It Has improved features like longer battery, Twin Sabre DACs, 384khz DSD256 audio in USB DAC Mode & Balanced audio out.
It will be an interesting test to connect it via USB as a DAC to the LG. Maybe it can beat the LG in combination with Balanced output.
Check out the BTR5 thread if you are interested.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #5,547 of 6,140
I have been very pleased using the FIIO BTR3 in LDAC with V30. Its good enough not to bother going the wires route especially when you are out and about. As a result I’ve now just ordered the newly released BTR5 that will take the quality higher than the BTR3 levels. It Has improved features like longer battery, Twin Sabre DACs, 384khz DSD256 audio in USB DAC Mode & Balanced audio out.
It will be an interesting test to connect it via USB as a DAC to the LG. Maybe it can beat the LG in combination with Balanced output.
Check out the BTR5 thread if you are interested.
Thanks! I am indeed all over the BTR5 and the Qudelix and an intriguing BT receiver by Oriolus... I hope and believe some of these will equal or best the V30’s SQ.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #5,548 of 6,140
Thanks! I am indeed all over the BTR5 and the Qudelix and an intriguing BT receiver by Oriolus... I hope and believe some of these will equal or best the V30’s SQ.

Right. So you holding back on the BTR5 until the others are also available ?

I couldn’t control myself especially after having ordered a custom upgrade 2.5mm Balanced cable for use with the DM6 earphones.
It’s a beautiful cable both in build and audio quality. Soft and supple as a silk weave.
I’m having to use the a ddHiFi 2.5-3.5mm adapter with the V30 for now. And this adapter is also a thing of beauty you will agree.

US $82.00 | UP-OCC COPPER litz structure 4Core Upgraded Copper Cable litz 3.5/2.5/4mm Earphone Cable MMCX 2PIN
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/SXUIPKHH

DF38B766-B2B1-42B5-93C6-3E1BA0FE4654.jpeg F58540ED-526C-4940-A861-F2D315F5F79E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back