LG V30
Oct 2, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #5,461 of 6,140
Yes, it is.

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #5,462 of 6,140
I am using the G7 ThinQ, and it is probably the best phone I owned, as it runs well on stock rom and has decent battery life as a phone, but so far, both the V30 & this G7 don't seem to last very long if your using the Quad Dac with it's stock amp.

I would suggest using an external amp with its "AUX" output level.
The sound is easily avove average and you would have to spend over $500 to get better sounding portable dac/amp.

So Getting an external amp like the Xduoo XD-05 is a low cost solution that punches high...
Don't waste your money on something more expensive like a
"iFi Micro iDSD Black Label" , or a "Chord MoJo (like what I did)...
Just get an external portable amp.

If you wanna get better, I would not bother with any dac/amp.
Nothing is going to surpass decisively, what you already have in this V30/G7 dac.
I would instead go for all in one solution of the the fiio M11 or ibasso DX220.

Anyways I am rambling, TMI..

Get a battery case for it. Problem solved.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #5,464 of 6,140
Hi guys!

I updated my v30 to the last android version.

Music app is completely redesigned. Big upgrade visually.

The most useful thing is: "last album added" they are displayed on top in a ios style.
Really like this new feature because when I add a new album with other app it get somewhat lost in the library. In this way you can easily access to the new music and listen.

Also, multitasking is is improved.

Capture+_2019-10-04-15-37-25.png

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #5,469 of 6,140
I've updated My V30 with Pie and set the OS in High Contrast Mode (Dark Theme)

To Those who are using these settings do you have an idea How to Change the Color of the Icon? E.g its Orange with High Contrast Mode enabled, I would like it to be Purple.
You've to root your V30 to change, i think.

Haven't done this so far.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #5,470 of 6,140
What's the deal with V30 and Amazon Ultra HD songs? All listed as track quality 24/192 or 24/48 play at 24/48 device capability.only. Ultra HD on in settings.
Doesn't make any sense atm, imo.
Amazon is stuck at the android stock 48 kHz.
With PC/mac it should be fine.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #5,472 of 6,140
How do you know what output rate you are getting?
@jeanft is right - audio_flinger shows both HD and Ultra HD play back as 48 kHz. Right now this is on all Android devices. Amazon actually says in their help page that Android is limited to 48 kHz. Confusingly, their Google Play Store app description says something different:

We’re improving your Amazon Music listening experience all the time. In this version we are introducing Amazon Music HD. Listen to millions of songs in Ultra HD with up to 10x+ the bitrate (24-bit, 192 kHz), including Hi-Res quality.

This is either a lie, or a rather disingenuous use of the term "up to".

It appears that the Amazon app re-samples everything to 48 kHz (it appears to do this itself, internally using floating-point interpolation) regardless of the downloaded or streamed sample rate.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #5,474 of 6,140
@jeanft Is right - audio_flinger shows both HD and Ultra HD play back as 48 kHz. Right now this is on all Android devices. Amazon actually says in their help page that Android is limited to 48 kHz. Confusingly, their Google Play Store app description says something different:

This is either a lie, or a rather disingenuous use of the term "up to".

It appears that the Amazon app re-samples everything to 48 kHz (it appears to do this itself, internally using floating-point interpolation) regardless of the downloaded or streamed sample rate.

Let's see what happens with USB Pro. Still using Qobuz, so many High Rez titles.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #5,475 of 6,140
A couple years on and I am still pondering, what magic did LG conjure with the V30?

After 22 months the battery on my unit is starting to act up slightly, so I went to a big show today to audition a few DAPs.
The newest Sony A100 and ZX500 line-up are barely worth a mention - no grunt at all in these puny things.
The Cayin N6ii and iBasso DX220 sound great, but only 2% better than the V30 I’d say, at least single-ended. The DX220 sounds fuller, which I enjoy a lot, but i am not convinced it’s better intrinsically, it could be down to tuning.
Meanwhile the Cayin N8 with its tube sounds bloody awesome and better than anything else, but it’s $3000 and such a brick! You may as well carry your desktop amp with you as it goes :smile:

With Android 9, efficient operation, a nice big screen and a thin format, so much finesse to the sound and amazing driving power, SD card compatibility and cellular streaming, what an incredible device this still is. I don’t know whether I should wait a bit to replace it with a newer LG phone or rather get anything nice and just use my ES100/get an iBasso DC01 while I wait for the Qudelix 5K.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back