LG V30
Apr 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #5,221 of 6,140
My buddy wants to set up an audiophile system for his new house, and runs a Mac. I'm sure his budget is constrained after buying a house/remodel, so that's why I'm curious to find out his various options for external DACs within *a* price range, *assuming* we went for external instead of on-board.
Do you mean to use SpectraX as the external DAC? Well it is a little bit strange to me to use the dongle as the DAC but that will work if he uses the dongle to output the full volume then purchase a good 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable. However, the heat issue might be a concern if using this way.

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #5,222 of 6,140
Do you mean to use SpectraX as the external DAC? Well it is a little bit strange to me to use the dongle as the DAC but that will work if he uses the dongle to output the full volume then purchase a good 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable. However, the heat issue might be a concern if using this way.

Theoretically, it would be MAC > Spectra > amplifier or powered speakers. But that's just an idea I'm playing with right now, because I don't know his budget and I'm just looking at various options under $150 right now. Spectra is just ONE of those options I was looking at.

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #5,223 of 6,140
The thing is that dongle already sounds better than V30 when paring with V30. While paring with laptop or desktop the sound quality is just not the same level compared to V30 since the output power increased because of the higher output current from the USB port.

Nothing wrong with having a subjective preference for any type of sound. I like the sound of the QP1R, despite its noise floor and menagerie of distortions. Plenty of people like tube amps and vinyl. I'm not going to judge you if you tell me you much prefer the sound of cassette tape to that of the V30. But there's no objective evidence to support your claim that the Spectra X is "way better in audio output performance". Measurements show the opposite.

Concerning output power - the V30 also provides 2V at max volume in high-impedance mode..Carrying around a laptop or desktop PC to draw extra juice for a dongle isn't going to be a practical option for most people. I would go further - I'd bet most people that bought a V30 for its audio did so because they didn't want to deal with dongles at all.

I'm happy that you're enjoying your new gadget and maybe it could be a good option for anybody who really wants a dongle (assuming there are such people?!?). But your suggestion to dump the V30 and buy another phone (plus the Spectra X dongle) makes no sense at all to me. I wonder if there's something going on with your V30 for you to have reached this conclusion. I assume you're using Neutron or UAPP with the correct settings for bit-perfect playback? Have you confirmed there's nothing wrong with your V30 hardware?

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #5,224 of 6,140
I cannot understand some of the complaints over the LG V30 sound quality. I find the sound quality very good. However, in my opinion since rooting my V30 the sound quality is even better with the DTS:X Surround function.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #5,225 of 6,140
Nothing wrong with having a subjective preference for any type of sound. I like the sound of the QP1R, despite its noise floor and menagerie of distortions. Plenty of people like tube amps and vinyl. I'm not going to judge you if you tell me you much prefer the sound of cassette tape to that of the V30. But there's no objective evidence to support your claim that the Spectra X is "way better in audio output performance". Measurements show the opposite.

Concerning output power - the V30 also provides 2V at max volume in high-impedance mode..Carrying around a laptop or desktop PC to draw extra juice for a dongle isn't going to be a practical option for most people. I would go further - I'd bet most people that bought a V30 for its audio did so because they didn't want to deal with dongles at all...

Yep!

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #5,226 of 6,140
#nodongles #audiojacksforever

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #5,227 of 6,140
Hey everyone... I just ordered an LG V30. I'm hoping it will give me the best of both worlds. Dedicated DAPs have great sound but the UI tends to be lacking. Cell phones have great UI but don't sound as good and are missing the headphone jack. I really want simplify my stuff. Less devices. Fewer adapters and fewer cables.

I'm happy to see there are still people using it.

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #5,228 of 6,140
Hey everyone... I just ordered an LG V30. I'm hoping it will give me the best of both worlds. Dedicated DAPs have great sound but the UI tends to be lacking. Cell phones have great UI but don't sound as good and are missing the headphone jack. I really want simplify my stuff. Less devices. Fewer adapters and fewer cables.

I'm happy to see there are still people using it.

I've read a lot of people say negative things about LG's UI. I don't have a problem with it and think its way better than Samsung's previous UI, and Huawei's and Xiaomi's current ones.

Must be another one of them bandwagon things I neglected to jump on to.

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #5,230 of 6,140
I've read a lot of people say negative things about LG's UI. I don't have a problem with it and think its way better than Samsung's previous UI, and Huawei's and Xiaomi's current ones.

Must be another one of them bandwagon things I neglected to jump on to.
I think it's all relative. The best DAP UIs are still not as good as mediocre cell phones. I had the V10 and my biggest gripe was the lack of volume steps. I think that has been fixed and the V30 has 75 steps.

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5,231 of 6,140
Off topic: Does anyone know if the LG G8 has the same or better DAC/AMP than the V30? My V30's lease is up and I'm thinking about going to the G8.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #5,232 of 6,140
I was listening to my Sabia Pearl earbuds last night and they sounded just great from my V30, then I tried with the Cowon Plenue P1 and I had to really up the volume on it and honestly the V30 sounded way better

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #5,234 of 6,140
I was listening to my Sabia Pearl earbuds last night and they sounded just great from my V30, then I tried with the Cowon Plenue P1 and I had to really up the volume on it and honestly the V30 sounded way better
Its a big statement.. I probably would have believed if my V30 sounded better than the pioneer 300r. Anyways, V30 its a really great sounding device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back