LG V30
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #4,474 of 6,140
Just received HD58X from Massdrop. Wow, what a difference when paired with my G7. IMO HD58X could be the perfect fit as sensitivity of 104 and impedance of 150Ohm is about right to unleash the full power of Quad DAC without demanding more.

Nov 26, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #4,475 of 6,140
Just received HD58X from Massdrop. Wow, what a difference when paired with my G7. IMO HD58X could be the perfect fit as sensitivity of 104 and impedance of 150Ohm is about right to unleash the full power of Quad DAC without demanding more.
Yep, LG phones with the 58X are brilliant together. Personally, I've found anything more demanding isn't as good of a match

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #4,476 of 6,140
I made a leap from the spark to the platinum. With the platinum and Ether 2, I hear lots of micro details, better imaging, better control at a lower end, and no hard edge. I am around 10 hours mark. Hope it keep improving..

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #4,477 of 6,140
I have a query about the Qobuz app... does anyone know if it handles Redbook 16/44 direct to the Sabre dac in the V30? I read that the Hires stuff is direct but not sure about Redbook

Cheers!

Dec 1, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #4,478 of 6,140
I have a query about the Qobuz app... does anyone know if it handles Redbook 16/44 direct to the Sabre dac in the V30? I read that the Hires stuff is direct but not sure about Redbook

Cheers!
I don’t think anything apart from Tidal’s MQA is streamed direct to the DAC from the streaming apps themselves. Fortunately UAPP is compatible with Qobuz though, so that’s an inexpensive solution to bypass Android’s mixer and its degradations.

Edit: actually has anyone tested the highest Qobuz tier (Sublime or Sublime +) to check if that Hires content is streamed directly to the DAC?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #4,479 of 6,140
I don’t think anything apart from Tidal’s MQA is streamed direct to the DAC from the streaming apps themselves. Fortunately UAPP is compatible with Qobuz though, so that’s an inexpensive solution to bypass Android’s mixer and its degradations.

Edit: actually has anyone tested the highest Qobuz tier (Sublime or Sublime +) to check if that Hires content is streamed directly to the DAC?

I have a Sublime subscription and yes, it does stream content to a dac and yes, it sounds great. I have no idea about Redbook though.

Screenshot_2018-12-01-10-08-34.png

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #4,480 of 6,140
I have a Sublime subscription and yes, it does stream content to a dac and yes, it sounds great. I have no idea about Redbook though.

thanks, yes I've a "Studio" account allowing me to stream hires with Qobuz. No problems with the UAPP app, but was wondering specifically with the Qobuz app, whether Redbook is direct to DAC; mainly interested for the offline capability in fact :)

I read this viz qobuz and Hires streaming but no mention of Redbook...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v30/840233-best-program-listen-flac-hi-res-audio-lg-v30.html

"The Android Qobuz app does use the ES9218P DAC for output. I did an analysis on the output of 30 tracks that Qobuz defines as "hi-resolution" and all but 1 was really a standard or lower than standard resolution recording stuffed into a 192khz container. Most didn't even have any energy over 17khz.

Good news, Qobuz uses the DAC. Bad news, Qobuz lies about the REAL quality of their content."

I take the slur ref the Hires content itself with a pinch of salt, but am curious about the handling of the output to th LG V30 DAC.

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #4,481 of 6,140
@salla45: That thread is pretty old, much could have changed.

The best way to verify if an app plays directly to the Quad DAC (bypassing the Android mixer) is by looking at an audio_flinger dump as described at the bottom of the following UAPP support page:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver

It's quite easy if you have working ADB.

I would happily check the Qobuz app to confirm it, but unfortunately they don't provide service in the US.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #4,482 of 6,140
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #4,483 of 6,140
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #4,484 of 6,140
I added some brief impressions on the V40 to this thread (last spoiler link):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/#post-13952263

The V40 is a great phone, but if you already own a V30, I don't see any really compelling reason to upgrade. My daily driver is still the V30.

What an excellent review of the V40. Thank you for sharing your analysis.

I can understand why you added it to the opening post of the V30 Music apps thread, but I would think it might get more (well deserved) exposure if posted individually, including in the V40 thread. I did see your pointer in that thread as well.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #4,485 of 6,140
I added some brief impressions on the V40 to this thread (last spoiler link):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/#post-13952263

The V40 is a great phone, but if you already own a V30, I don't see any really compelling reason to upgrade. My daily driver is still the V30.
After 2 months, I'm still reaching and searching for the power button on the back of the phone lol. Your assessment in regards to the sonic traits of the 30 and 40 I find pretty accurate. I would say two things stand out to me, one more than the other. The more minor difference is that I find the 40 captures nuances and details in a more noticeable fashion. Not anything grand, but discernable to my ears. The bigger difference is that I feel the 40 sounds more so out of my head, with a slightly less aggressive approach. Again, these differences are minor for the most part. I believe the 40 would be a better fit for someone after a purer, audiophile sound, while the 30 is a better companion for the person who just wants to have fun. Obviously this is all subjective, just my thoughts. As for the phone itself, it is indeed quite snappy. I appreciate the bigger screen with better display. I'm a binge watching junkie. Just finished the last season of Daredevil, season 8 of Hawaii Five-0, and the mini series Bodyguard over within the last 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back