LG V30
Nov 18, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #4,411 of 6,140
I have an option right now to give up my Lg v30 and switch to a Exynos Note 9 for my all in one device and a replacement for my audiophile music needs. To let everyone I value pure sound quality over all the features that the note 9 currently has. Am I making a mistake? Someone please talk me out of it if it's a backwards move. Thanks

It's a big step back if we are talking about audio quality. I'll probably stick with LG as I have iPhone as my main daily driver.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #4,412 of 6,140
I have no experience with Samsung phones (since my excellent BlackJack II back before Android). But my understanding is the Exynos models come with Cirrus/Crystal DAC, though don't know which model. The Crystal DACs I've heard sounded pretty great... Never heard a Samsung with music, though, Exynos or otherwise.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #4,413 of 6,140
I have no experience with Samsung phones (since my excellent BlackJack II back before Android). But my understanding is the Exynos models come with Cirrus/Crystal DAC, though don't know which model. The Crystal DACs I've heard sounded pretty great... Never heard a Samsung with music, though, Exynos or otherwise.

I had an S6 with an Exynos processor and it was OK with cheapo headphones but didn't have enough power to drive decent can at 'metal' volumes.

This is a good site if you want a more sciency discussion of DACs.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #4,414 of 6,140
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,415 of 6,140
Just ordered a V30, price slashed to under 500 chf, here in switzerland. I just had to... :)

I would like to ask if anyone knows how the V30 performs with the Beyerdynamic T1's?

Secondly, I would like to ask how the V30 works with MQA using the Tidal app? Does the V30 do the unfolding and is the resultant MQA goodness bypass android's messing with the signal?

In fact, if Quad Dac is enabled, then is Android upsampling avoided for all players? Or are we still limited to the likes of UAPP and Neutron to bypass Android?

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #4,416 of 6,140
I have an option right now to give up my Lg v30 and switch to a Exynos Note 9 for my all in one device and a replacement for my audiophile music needs. To let everyone I value pure sound quality over all the features that the note 9 currently has. Am I making a mistake? Someone please talk me out of it if it's a backwards move. Thanks

I jumped from the Note 8 to the v30 due to sound quality. It is true that the international Note models have the Cirrus DAC but I don't know how good it is or how much volume it has. I doubt it to match the Sabre. I also know the Note 9 is just way too heavy and way too big... Even the v40 is smaller and lighter all around so the v30 is way smaller & lighter.

Basically, if you want that s pen (and there's really no substitute) then get the note, if you want good audio in an all-in-one solution and have good headphones then get the v30.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #4,417 of 6,140
Just ordered a V30, price slashed to under 500 chf, here in switzerland. I just had to... :)

Secondly, I would like to ask how the V30 works with MQA using the Tidal app? Does the V30 do the unfolding and is the resultant MQA goodness bypass android's messing with the signal?

In fact, if Quad Dac is enabled, then is Android upsampling avoided for all players? Or are we still limited to the likes of UAPP and Neutron to bypass Android?

Cheers!

MQA & Tidal app work as they should for full MQA goodness as you put it, as does UAPP.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #4,418 of 6,140
Since getting my KEF LSX speakers I've not listened much with ear/headphones. Using the LG30/KEF app to drive them too (though only Tidal MQA via PC Desktop app).

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #4,419 of 6,140
Thanks for all the responses regarding the sound quality on the note 9.
I auditioned the exynos note 9 today with my flareaudio Golds. The owner was kind enough to allow me to test it out before i made the purchase. I stated to him headphone audio quality is a concern for me if I'm going to purchase the note 9. There is a big enough difference to my ears even with this exynos note 9 vs. lg v30. As I listened to the note 9 it sounded alright and there’s plenty of punch and attack to deliver an up-front and exciting performance.
Tonally, it's pretty balanced – a little darker sounding than the likes of the lg v30, perhaps, but not lacking in any way.
I did wish notes were presented with a touch more clarity and precision, though.
The Exynos Note 9 sounds a bit too dark and muddled compared to the v30. The V30 has a tighter and more cohesive hold over its dynamics, too. Bigger separation between vocals and instruments, more sense of air and depth. For the same music and same UAPP app on both devices, I had more volume headroom with the V30 also.
So the bottom line is, i'm not getting the note 9 to replace my v30 for my music needs as a portable device. You would have to pry my V30 from my dead body before i give it up to the current lineup of phones right now. I really think it's that good.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #4,420 of 6,140
just bought NEW LG V30+ H930DS from ebay for 410€ free shipping. Compared this to my old Zte Axon Mini (Dolby Atmos) this is some srs bsns upgrade. Pairing it with Superlux HD668B at 60-75 volume. Planning to purchase iBasso IT01 iems, wonder how that will stack.

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #4,421 of 6,140
Thanks for all the responses regarding the sound quality on the note 9.
I auditioned the exynos note 9 today with my flareaudio Golds. The owner was kind enough to allow me to test it out before i made the purchase. I stated to him headphone audio quality is a concern for me if I'm going to purchase the note 9. There is a big enough difference to my ears even with this exynos note 9 vs. lg v30. As I listened to the note 9 it sounded alright and there’s plenty of punch and attack to deliver an up-front and exciting performance.
Tonally, it's pretty balanced – a little darker sounding than the likes of the lg v30, perhaps, but not lacking in any way.
I did wish notes were presented with a touch more clarity and precision, though.
The Exynos Note 9 sounds a bit too dark and muddled compared to the v30. The V30 has a tighter and more cohesive hold over its dynamics, too. Bigger separation between vocals and instruments, more sense of air and depth. For the same music and same UAPP app on both devices, I had more volume headroom with the V30 also.
So the bottom line is, i'm not getting the note 9 to replace my v30 for my music needs as a portable device. You would have to pry my V30 from my dead body before i give it up to the current lineup of phones right now. I really think it's that good.
I've ordered a V30 after using the Note 8 for the last year. I'm really quite interested to hear how it fairs. I just found I was using my Note 8 more and more over the X7ii I also have, mainly because the ergonomics of using that fab screen outweigh the diference in sound, but the niggling sq issue has been really bugging me all the same, lol. I'm really keen to hear if the V30 will power my T1's too!

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #4,422 of 6,140
I think people would rather use a nice large qhd screen over any fiio. I have had the fiio x7i, the x5iii and the V30, the audio quality is pretty close on all 3 and I would rather have the large oled screen of the V30 anyday. The note 8 audio was pretty bad, my note 9 is much closer then the note 8 was to the V30 but I would still take the V30 anyday. It was actually painful to listen to music on the note 8, I can do it on the note 9 for a bit but if my V30 is in view I will switch to that as fast as I can. It also depends on what headphones you have as well if you have something low end ie. unfer a hd650 then it probably wont sound too much different but if you have good headphones the V30 is the way to go

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #4,423 of 6,140

As @psikey confirmed, the Tidal app DOES indeed play MQA correctly, directly to the Quad DAC, without the upsampling of the standard Android Audio mixer. But this is ONLY true with Tidal Master (HiRes) tracks. All non-Master tracks will play through the Android Audio mixer, and thus upsample. The same remains true for other audio apps as well, except UAPP and Neutron (to my knowledge).

UAPP plays all Tidal tracks correctly, both Master (MQA) and non-Master: Directly to the Quad DAC, without the upsampling of the standard Android Audio mixer. But some users have problems with skips and pauses when playing Tidal through UAPP. Also, Offline/Download is not supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back