LG V30
Sep 14, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #4,007 of 6,140
I was probably one of the people who said it! Just wanted to reiterate that the V30 isn't necessarily better than the Mojo. However, considering the general praise for the little Chord as being one of, if not the best DAC under 1K that's a hell of a benchmark for the LG to hit. I don't feel like I'm missing out on musical enjoyment when listening to the V30 rather than the Mojo, so that's a win to me.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #4,008 of 6,140
I like my V30 when watching things on my phone or streaming music, but commuting I use a Shanling M1 or Lotto Paw 5000 Mk2, hate music fading in and out with notifications

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #4,012 of 6,140
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #4,013 of 6,140
I like my V30 when watching things on my phone or streaming music, but commuting I use a Shanling M1 or Lotto Paw 5000 Mk2, hate music fading in and out with notifications
Try pulling down the notification shade and toggling the volume modes (the speaker button). It alternates between 'Set volume' <> 'Vibration' <> 'Silent'. I set mine to 'Vibration' mode on long commutes to avoid those notification triggered cut-outs.

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #4,014 of 6,140
Well I'm now DAP/DAC free. Since getting my V30+ I've not used anything else and just sold on my last DAC/AMP (Dragonfly Red).

The V30+ drives both my SE846's & HD660S great.

I have a great little Sony BT remote for track/volume control and the V30+ has far more usable volume steps than any other phone.

The V30+ via LDAC to EarStudio ES100 BT DAC/AMP also sounds amazing.

How does the v30+ compare to the es100 in terms of sound quality and sound signiture? I have a G6 with quad dac, but might try a non lg phone next and thinking of getting the es100 to fill my portable audio needs

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #4,015 of 6,140
How does the v30+ compare to the es100 in terms of sound quality and sound signiture? I have a G6 with quad dac, but might try a non lg phone next and thinking of getting the es100 to fill my portable audio needs

Obviously signature is slightly different plus I mostly listen via balanced with ES100, but its amazing using BT LDAC. The V30 wired still has the edge for me but really nothing in it and happy using wired or BT.

I'd say my HD660S are slightly better wired but cant really tell any difference if using the SE846's.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,016 of 6,140
I’m with @psikey on this. The V30 sounds ever so slightly “higher-fidelity”, but that’s partly due to the Sabre high-frequency tuning which emphasizes detail. If you go looking for that detail on the ES100 you’ll find it, or most of it, it’s just more laid-back about it. Not that the V30 is shouty, but it’s more crystalline.

Put it this way: back when I bought my V30 there were no great BT receivers apart from the XB10, and I really don’t like A&K. I absolutely love the V30, as much as I hated my S7 edge, and am very happy I switched when I did. But for my next phone, with the ES100 around (or a successor maybe) I will just look at the camera capability. I won’t even care if there’s a headphone jack :open_mouth: Don’t blame me! Blame Radsone!

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #4,017 of 6,140
I’m with @psikey on this. The V30 sounds ever so slightly “higher-fidelity”, but that’s partly due to the Sabre high-frequency tuning which emphasizes detail. If you go looking for that detail on the ES100 you’ll find it, or most of it, it’s just more laid-back about it. Not that the V30 is shouty, but it’s more crystalline.

Put it this way: back when I bought my V30 there were no great BT receivers apart from the XB10, and I really don’t like A&K. I absolutely love the V30, as much as I hated my S7 edge, and am very happy I switched when I did. But for my next phone, with the ES100 around (or a successor maybe) I will just look at the camera capability. I won’t even care if there’s a headphone jack :open_mouth: Don’t blame me! Blame Radsone!

Yeah same here. For my next phone if it's not LG I will STRONGLY consider the ES100 or successor. I'm using a modded GCam app (same app on Pixel phones, with HDR unlocked, but only for pics. Vids still better with stock app) for improved picture quality, but I think Samsung, Sony, iPhone, Huawei, etc are still better.

I'm sure with proper EQ'ing like I do I can get the V30 level of detail I need based on your comments. lol

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #4,018 of 6,140
Yeah same here. For my next phone if it's not LG I will STRONGLY consider the ES100 or successor. I'm using a modded GCam app (same app on Pixel phones, with HDR unlocked, but only for pics. Vids still better with stock app) for improved picture quality, but I think Samsung, Sony, iPhone, Huawei, etc are still better.

I'm sure with proper EQ'ing like I do I can get the V30 level of detail I need based on your comments. lol

I just bought a Huawei Honor Note 10 for the missus. For a $400 phone, its staggeringly good. If it wasn't for the V30's audio, I would probably get one for myself too.

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #4,020 of 6,140
I have the V 30 and I have the Essential phone and have been waiting for its Hi-Fi DAC attachment. We'll see. I do love how fast the essential phone gets its updates I'm already on Android Pie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back