LG V30
Sep 20, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #4,037 of 6,140
@KaijuHK I don't hear a difference, but hey-ho, who's to say you're not right? Frankly one of the reasons I love the V30 is in its simplicity as a DAP in that that I don't have to carry around another device, a la Mojo, and then to faff around with adapters and the like is just something I can't be arsed with.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #4,038 of 6,140
@KaijuHK I don't hear a difference, but hey-ho, who's to say you're not right? Frankly one of the reasons I love the V30 is in its simplicity as a DAP in that that I don't have to carry around another device, a la Mojo, and then to faff around with adapters and the like is just something I can't be arsed with.
Indeed, I could well be wrong. Completely agree with the simplicity of the V30 as a DAP. :)

Yes Marshall Mode headphones do indeed trigger high impedence mode
Interesting. I wonder why it triggers the high impedance mode at only 39ohms. :/

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #4,039 of 6,140
Indeed, I could well be wrong. Completely agree with the simplicity of the V30 as a DAP. :)

Interesting. I wonder why it triggers the high impedance mode at only 39ohms. :/

The impedance of a speaker isn't a static thing - it varies depending on the input. Maybe the frequency(s) used by the V phones cause the impedance to be measured above the trigger threshold?

Or maybe Marshall fool the measuring system so it can be turned up to '11'?

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4,040 of 6,140
I get that a DAC should just give you extra volume but could it be possible the V30's DAC does other things? When I compare using high impedance mode off (at a higher volume)and on at lower volumes, the high impedance mode *seems* more detailed, tighter bass and just overall a better listening experience. I've even tried doing a blind test where a friend and I tried to distinguish which was high impedance mode and we both 100% guessed correctly on a variety of recordings. Suffice to say, I would hate using my headphones without high impedance mode off. Everything just seems duller, even at higher volumes.

Off topic, I'm using Marshall Mode headphones which are measured at 39ohms but they still activate high impedance mode on the V30 (+50ohms). Can anyone else back this up?

"I get that a DAC should just give you extra volume".....................

What? lol

That's actually not really true at all. What a DAC (or, let's say a QUALITY DAC) essentially does is clean up and therefore improve the sound quality of the music you're listening to. A quality DAC will: filter out hiss and other harmonic distortions, widen the soundstage (which in turn will improve instrument separation ftw!), remove the "veil" from your music that a lower quality DAC will have in order to increase clarity, etc. It has nothing to do with volume. THAT is what the amp is for. That volume bump you hear when the Quad DAC is activated..........that's the AMP doin' its thing.

The Quad DAC on the LG phones like the V30 is tremendous at accomplishing all that, and its industrial strength amp (well, when it's in Aux or HIM anyway lol) gives me MORE than enough volume to drive my 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro headphones, making them sound MAGICAL. I wish EVERY phone had this kind of tech on it. But I guess at least here in the U.S. people in general don't care enough about this stuff to warrant companies spending money on it? Or maybe they do and the smartphone companies are JUST starting to catch on? I hope it's the latter.

That IS odd about the HIM being triggered by your Marshalls. But hey, at least now you don't need a special adapter! LOL :L3000:

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #4,043 of 6,140
Does still make sense to buy a lg v30 with a 500$ price tag.... it is a good deal..

I like to use it with Tidal mostly as second phone...

Yeah it does. Considering the high quality of the Quad DAC and amp, and the phone overall, you're getting 2 great devices in one! Quit waiting and go buy it today!

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #4,044 of 6,140
Yeah it does. Considering the high quality of the Quad DAC and amp, and the phone overall, you're getting 2 great devices in one! Quit waiting and go buy it today!

Seconded. I paid around $650 for mine a few months ago and wouldn't swap it for anything else out there. I believe it is better than the V35 and upcoming V40 as it appears to be more efficient.

It might not have the 'fastest' SD845 processor, but I bet no one could tell the difference between the V30 and the V35 in everyday use (apart from the supposedly more frugal 845 being much more power hungry than the 835 when installed in tbe V3X frame.

The ONLY negative I have is that the screen is a bit grainy when compared to Samsung's.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #4,045 of 6,140
The ONLY negative I have is that the screen is a bit grainy when compared to Samsung's.

That is where most criticism is levied at the V30, and it's justified to be honest. Considering they have such a large OLED investment with some of the best panels on TVs, it's a shame they couldn't bring that quality to their screens. However, it is still an OLED unlike the G models, and for everything else you get it was worth the trade-off. If Samsung had a similar DAC implementation in their phones it would have been game over, but they don't and the V30 is still a beautiful device. I've got mine in a slim rubber case but like to take it out every once in a while to appreciate the industrial design.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #4,048 of 6,140
THIS LOOKS BETTER: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pc...9231a97&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0
HTB187uyQFXXXXbOXFXXq6xXFXXXB.jpg

Hi friend, that's a cable termination plug altogether, what I've listed is an adapter male-to-female useful to trigger aux mode (medium amp gain) that can be used along with any already 3.5 jack terminated cable (either 3 or 4 poles). If one intends to use it with a cable having mic it's beneficial. If the cable doesn't have mic it still works (my case). It triggers aux mode every time without misses (some earlier 4-poles were reported not triggering aux mode at all or doing it unreliably).

Here's the proper link from desktop:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...-Microphone-Jack-Stereo-Plug/32845971047.html

Cheers.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #4,049 of 6,140
That is where most criticism is levied at the V30, and it's justified to be honest. Considering they have such a large OLED investment with some of the best panels on TVs, it's a shame they couldn't bring that quality to their screens. However, it is still an OLED unlike the G models, and for everything else you get it was worth the trade-off. If Samsung had a similar DAC implementation in their phones it would have been game over, but they don't and the V30 is still a beautiful device. I've got mine in a slim rubber case but like to take it out every once in a while to appreciate the industrial design.
agree with you. the perfect product does not exist, even among the most expensive. personally, i like the oled on lg v30. probably the camera could be better. but i spent 550€(with 128 gb memory), i have a portable dap without others cables and electronics, a bit perfect player in my house and...oh yes..a phone LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back