LG V30
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #4,051 of 6,140
@alota Wait, what?! You telling me I can call people from this thing? Do people still do that
hypno.gif
i don´t know. Honestly, they could consider you a heretic LOL
p.s.: in the dx-200 thread only few people speaks about the many faults of the dap.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #4,052 of 6,140
That is where most criticism is levied at the V30, and it's justified to be honest. Considering they have such a large OLED investment with some of the best panels on TVs, it's a shame they couldn't bring that quality to their screens. However, it is still an OLED unlike the G models, and for everything else you get it was worth the trade-off. If Samsung had a similar DAC implementation in their phones it would have been game over, but they don't and the V30 is still a beautiful device. I've got mine in a slim rubber case but like to take it out every once in a while to appreciate the industrial design.

I've never actually touched the back of mine. Its been in a case since I unboxed it. Sad but true.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,054 of 6,140
it has great battery life efficiency and good audio music. But thats where the advantage stops it falls short on all other areas compared to competitors in terms of software and display. Samsung does almost everything better with the exception of the sound quality.

I have to say that software-wise they're both imperfect and the only advantage the Sammys has is the display quality.

The lack of 'infinity display' makes the LG nicer in the hand and obviously the LG kills it on the audio.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #4,055 of 6,140
That is where most criticism is levied at the V30, and it's justified to be honest. Considering they have such a large OLED investment with some of the best panels on TVs, it's a shame they couldn't bring that quality to their screens. However, it is still an OLED unlike the G models, and for everything else you get it was worth the trade-off. If Samsung had a similar DAC implementation in their phones it would have been game over, but they don't and the V30 is still a beautiful device. I've got mine in a slim rubber case but like to take it out every once in a while to appreciate the industrial design.

Yeah. The best overall to me is the LG V30. But Samsung IS gaining............on camera they were already ahead for the most part (at least for 2018, not necessarily in the past) with regards to color accuracy and overall picture quality. Display yeah there's is better, but LG has the Quad DAC. Now that Samsung bought Harman Kardon, which owns AKG, I am PATIENTLY waiting for them to WAKE UP and not just limit AKG's involvement to earphones & headphones, but to go one step further and use HIGH QUALITY DACs & AMPS on their phones and have AKG TUNE them!

The thing is, they are already doing this with their unlocked int'l Exynos-based phones. I've confirmed recently those non-U.S. Samsung phones running on Exynos ACTUALLY GET much better DACs (though not Quad DAC, but still) vs. the U.S. ones which run on the INTEGRATED (aka yuck lol) Snapdragon DAC & amp, which is of lower quality. Initially they were using Wolfson chips, but I believe in the last few years they switched to Cirrus, which is just as good from what I've seen. So why not just buy an int'l unlocked Samsung phone you say? Good question! You can't because those phones are not certified with U.S. carriers to give you VoLTE, which means diminished reception, which is unacceptable to me. The ONLY way to get both VoLTE on the int'l Exynos-based Samsung phones is to root, which again is unacceptable to me. So I'll just stick with LG for now. lol

Also, the Exynos-based ones are said to still not sound AS GOOD as the Quad DAC LG phones. So in the end, camera and display quality I guess have to suffer if you want the best quality. Or else lose a BIT of audio quality and get better display and camera quality, if you root. Man F ALL these companies! LOL

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #4,056 of 6,140
it has great battery life efficiency and good audio music. But thats where the advantage stops it falls short on all other areas compared to competitors in terms of software and display. Samsung does almost everything better with the exception of the sound quality.

All true. The V30's Quad DAC is its best asset. If and when Samsung stops being ultra stupid and tries to compete with the Quad DAC, LG's Mobile Division's days are numbered. lol

The fact that the int'l Exynos Samsungs have a Cirrus Logic DAC and also awesome amp and the U.S. ones (Snapdragon) don't I think has to do with Samsung thinking that Americans don't care enough about audio quality. I hope this changes as I'd really like to have the perfect phone someday soon. lol

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #4,057 of 6,140
I have to say that software-wise they're both imperfect and the only advantage the Sammys has is the display quality.

The lack of 'infinity display' makes the LG nicer in the hand and obviously the LG kills it on the audio.

Yeah but Samsung is constantly improving these issues. Using Nova Launcher over the home launcher on the Galaxy phones might help. They've already improved their displays and also apparently within the last year they finally fixed that color accuracy issue they were having in the past with their cameras.

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #4,058 of 6,140
Two big things I require outta my phone:

1) Have a battery switch made possible with relatively cheap cost
2) Have top notch audio quality

If 1) ain't true I'll never ever consider spending more than say 200€ on any phone. Outta ones that have 1) I'll pick the one which has the best audio quality.

LG delivers both. Samsung neither, probably will never again 1). Game over Samsung!

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #4,059 of 6,140
How much cost top samsung? About software i have zero issues

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #4,061 of 6,140
me want 16gb ram, run windows + android some type of fusion OS that i would call Windroid.
99% screen to body ratio. Basically improved Vivo Nex with LG quad dacs. GG.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #4,062 of 6,140
This is exactly the problem with LG implementation of their super DAC. Rather than auto select modes it should gives users option to trigger those like high and low gain simple settings

High end headphones like Sennheiser ie800 also sounds not that great bcoz it's low impedebce and doesn't triggers full high impedence mode on LG phones
Great phones ruined by bad implementation of LG guys

HEy I want to buy the IE 800 , and i have the LG v30 , and the Dragonfly Red dac, how the LG v30 sound quality vs DFR with ie800 ? the lg v30 are good pair with Ie 800 ?

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4,063 of 6,140
Didn't see a huge difference from v20 to v30. However, I only tested for an

Just off the top of my head:

Westone w80
Westone um pro 50
Angie
Se846
Sennheiser ie800

IMO after testing over a year, price to performance ath-e70 superior. Especially with v20/v30 technical signature and flac files. To me they are head fi's best kept secret. Their bass rivals se846 very deep but articulate and doesn't bleed. Filter the reviews for only ath-e70 they get 5 stars.

Try them for 30 days let me know if you agree http://amzn.to/2hIxCkU

HEy I want to buy the IE 800 , and i have the LG v30 , and the Dragonfly Red dac, how the LG v30 sound quality vs DFR with ie800 ? the lg v30 are good pair with Ie 800 ?

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #4,064 of 6,140
I'm using Sennheiser's IE800.
The volume on my V30 goes to 75. It warns you at 50. Tried splitting the cable and plugging it in then plugging in the headphones afterwards, but still getting 75 volume cap.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #4,065 of 6,140
I pulled the trigger on V30. Pair it with ie800s. No regrets! IE800S + Aux mode + UAPP + Tidal MQA is a bliss. And how convenient! Sold my DX200 with amps and happily see myself retired from bulky players. Though V30 can't stand toe to toe with high-grade dedicated players, it has a pleasant tuning that I find quite engaging.

Hey how you trigger AUX high impedance mode with lg v30 with ie800 ? I want to buy the IE 800 , and i have the LG v30 , and the Dragonfly Red dac, how the LG v30 sound quality vs DFR with ie800 ? the lg v30 are good pair with Ie 800 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back