LG V30
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #3,766 of 6,140
As an aside to my comments above, LG phones seem to fall in price fairly fast. I'd check in eBay for a V30 or less later for a decent price.

I got my V20 sir a little over $200, but I'd recommend the V30 or better.

The V20 has horrid battery life and I and others have had issues with the headphone jack becoming lose and cutting the audio and/or triggering the assistant just from touching it. I missed mine too help tighten it up, but still have issues a time.

I plan to eventually picking up a V-series for a decent price. Even though my iBasso DX150 is a more resolving player the Quad DAC is close enough and far more convenient to carry because of its relative thiness, and with root I can trigger high impedance mode permanently and install viper4android so I can EQ everything including Spotify (something I can't do with my DAP).

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,768 of 6,140
As an aside to my comments above, LG phones seem to do in price fairly fast. I'd check in eBay for a V30 or less later for a decent price.

I got my V20 sir a little over $200, but I'd recommend the V30 or better.

The V20 has horrid battery life and I and others have had issues with the headphone jack becoming lose and cutting the audio and/or triggering the assistant just from touching it. I missed mine too help tighten it up, but still have issues a time.

I plan to eventually picking up a V-series for a decent price. Even though my iBasso DX150 is a more resolving player the Quad DAC is close enough and far more convenient toconvenient to carry it's relative thiness, and with root I can trigger high impedance mode permanently and install viper4android so I can EQ everything including Spotify (something I can't do with my DAP).

No joke.....my V30's battery life is SICK!!!! Rated 93 hours by GSM Arena, which is way high! Just sayin'. lol

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #3,771 of 6,140
After discovering the LG potential and buying my first V-series last month, it is interesting and frustrating to see that LG is promoting quad-dac more and more: They just announced the Q7+ today, a midrange phone that will also have the audio capabilities of the LG G7. Goddammit...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/21/17376086/lg-q7-midrange-android-phone

Anyone already had a chance to compare G7 with the V30? Particulary interested in the 3D effect, if it adds to sound quality...

I sold my V30 a little over a month ago so I can't do a direct comparison but I got the T-Mobile LG Q7+ a few days ago and plugged in my Audeze iSine 20, turned the HiFi toggle on and immediately thought "Hm...this doesn't sound like I remember". The overall tonality was darker and more congested. The highs were not as clean nor as ..."pleasant yet detailed" if that makes sense. Overall, I felt the Q7+ quality was worse than my Pixel 2 dongle which was nothing I ever said when I had the V30. I ended up returning the Q7+ and ordered a used V30. Another user on Reddit who has a G6+ also shared my sentiments.

You can read our discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/95wlq9/lg_q7_quad_dac_compared_to_v30g7/

FWIW, enabling the DTS was pretty bad in my opinion. I am not a fan of these kind of software switches, but this one seemed to degrade the overall quality greatly. I also found no difference in overall quality when tricking the phone into Aux or High Impedance mode...it was just louder.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #3,772 of 6,140
I sold my V30 a little over a month ago so I can't do a direct comparison but I got the T-Mobile LG Q7+ a few days ago and plugged in my Audeze iSine 20, turned the HiFi toggle on and immediately thought "Hm...this doesn't sound like I remember". The overall tonality was darker and more congested. The highs were not as clean nor as ..."pleasant yet detailed" if that makes sense. Overall, I felt the Q7+ quality was worse than my Pixel 2 dongle which was nothing I ever said when I had the V30. I ended up returning the Q7+ and ordered a used V30. Another user on Reddit who has a G6+ also shared my sentiments.

You can read our discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/95wlq9/lg_q7_quad_dac_compared_to_v30g7/

FWIW, enabling the DTS was pretty bad in my opinion. I am not a fan of these kind of software switches, but this one seemed to degrade the overall quality greatly. I also found no difference in overall quality when tricking the phone into Aux or High Impedance mode...it was just louder.

Hey cstark!

Yeah I'm not surprised. I don't think the Q7 has the Quad DAC, so yeah not shocking that it was that disappointing. lol

Yes that's been the consensus that the different Quad DAC modes only increase the volume of the music played, not the quality. As music/sound conscious as LG is, I REALLY wish they'd reconsider the speaker layout on these premium phones and make them all front-facing stereo vs. the single bottom-firing speakers. I do like what they did with the G7 by making it into kind of a "boom box", but still, they should reconsider taking it one step further.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3,773 of 6,140
Hey cstark!

Yeah I'm not surprised. I don't think the Q7 has the Quad DAC, so yeah not shocking that it was that disappointing. lol

Yes that's been the consensus that the different Quad DAC modes only increase the volume of the music played, not the quality. As music/sound conscious as LG is, I REALLY wish they'd reconsider the speaker layout on these premium phones and make them all front-facing stereo vs. the single bottom-firing speakers. I do like what they did with the G7 by making it into kind of a "boom box", but still, they should reconsider taking it one step further.

The Q7+ is supposed to have the "HiFi Quad DAC" but LG makes info on it VERY hard to find (I wonder why :thinking:). But the regular Q7 doesn't. Usually the Korean or other country websites will have a small ESS logo with the model number but zero mention of ESS/ES9218 for the Q7+ pages, just "HiFi Quad DAC". The only indication I found was a logcat from the Q7+ that had lines starting with es9218p: just like the V30. But I'm sure the names of those lines can easily be altered. :spy:

Edit: The box didn't even list HiFi Quad DAC or have an ESS logo. So something is weird there.

Here's the press release from LG stating the Q7+ having Quad DAC: http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2018/05/l...h-smarter-and-more-premium-features-in-lg-q7/

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #3,774 of 6,140
The Q7+ is supposed to have the "HiFi Quad DAC" but LG makes info on it VERY hard to find (I wonder why :thinking:). But the regular Q7 doesn't. Usually the Korean or other country websites will have a small ESS logo with the model number but zero mention of ESS/ES9218 for the Q7+ pages, just "HiFi Quad DAC". The only indication I found was a logcat from the Q7+ that had lines starting with es9218p: just like the V30. But I'm sure the names of those lines can easily be altered. :spy:

Edit: The box didn't even list HiFi Quad DAC or have an ESS logo. So something is weird there.

Here's the press release from LG stating the Q7+ having Quad DAC: http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2018/05/l...h-smarter-and-more-premium-features-in-lg-q7/

Oh ok. That is weird though that they make finding info on the Q7+ hard to find.

I'd return it if I was you. lol That's f'ing suspicious as F. The box should list that stuff, esp if the G7 and V30 boxes did.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #3,775 of 6,140
Does anyone have any experience running the V30 through an external DAC? I've been beating my head out for a while trying to get my iDSD Micro BL to work with my Moto X4, only to find that Motorola in their infinite wisdom, decided not to support USB audio on this model, leaving me to hunt down a new phone.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #3,776 of 6,140
Does anyone have any experience running the V30 through an external DAC? I've been beating my head out for a while trying to get my iDSD Micro BL to work with my Moto X4, only to find that Motorola in their infinite wisdom, decided not to support USB audio on this model, leaving me to hunt down a new phone.

I ran the V20 (which is like identical to V30 in terms of hardware I believe) through my old $299 Oppo HA-2 using its special dongle or cable and has no issues. I could not tell a difference between the Oppo vs. the V20's DAC, so based on that I ended up selling off the Oppo.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3,777 of 6,140

I've used the iDSD Black Label with my V20. Can't speak for the V30, but I would imagine it will work also.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #3,778 of 6,140
LOL!

But I wonder if this will make any difference with respect to the recent Samsung phones (all since at least S8 have it). What you think monsieur?
I’m on fire tonight and have an opinion on everything! Seriously I hadn’t heard of Samsung’s implementation of this, but I am not surprised; EQ personalization is the latest audio rage. However this is Samsung’s mobile division, so... they’re doing it wrong. That process they’re using, it’s the same used by Beyerdynamic for the Aventho, and there is similar gear being funded on Indiegogo.
Their software solution resembles acoustic tests you’d take at an ENT doctor for diagnosing hearing loss. They’re notoriously hard to administer, demand controlled conditions and are subject to interpretation. Also they take a while, and relentless focus on the auditor’s part.
Contrast that with the physics-based solution inside the nuraphone, which send out a sound wave inside your ear and analyze the faint echo produced in return - it’s much more interesting, and having tested them the results are excellent and fascinating. They told me it’s the same process used at the maternity to determine whether a baby is deaf (since babies cannot let you know if they hear a beep, how faint it is, ah can’t hear anymore, wait now it’s back etc.).

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #3,779 of 6,140
Oh ok. That is weird though that they make finding info on the Q7+ hard to find.

I'd return it if I was you. lol That's f'ing suspicious as F. The box should list that stuff, esp if the G7 and V30 boxes did.

2 steps ahead of you, I got a V30 coming Tuesday. :)

If I recall, there was only a DTS symbol on the box as far as audio goes. Yep..pretty weird. Oh well, lesson learned. Hope it helps someone else before they buy it.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #3,780 of 6,140
I’m on fire tonight and have an opinion on everything! Seriously I hadn’t heard of Samsung’s implementation of this, but I am not surprised; EQ personalization is the latest audio rage. However this is Samsung’s mobile division, so... they’re doing it wrong. That process they’re using, it’s the same used by Beyerdynamic for the Aventho, and there is similar gear being funded on Indiegogo.
Their software solution resembles acoustic tests you’d take at an ENT doctor for diagnosing hearing loss. They’re notoriously hard to administer, demand controlled conditions and are subject to interpretation. Also they take a while, and relentless focus on the auditor’s part.
Contrast that with the physics-based solution inside the nuraphone, which send out a sound wave inside your ear and analyze the faint echo produced in return - it’s much more interesting, and having tested them the results are excellent and fascinating. They told me it’s the same process used at the maternity to determine whether a baby is deaf (since babies cannot let you know if they hear a beep, how faint it is, ah can’t hear anymore, wait now it’s back etc.).

Wow. Very cool info!

I guess Samsung has some more week to do, but then again, so does HTC, Sony, and everyone else who's also doing this! lol

Yeah that nuraphone method is definitely cooler and better (and easier!). Oh well! lol
I just hope Samsung uses AKG to tune the Note 9 or else the S10/S10+........for Samsung's sale anyway!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back