LG V30
Aug 10, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,751 of 6,140
Interesting. What do you mean by “come alive”? I find the V30 a very lively source, with good timing and an emphasis on the upper mids and treble. Sound stage, probably as a result, seems very open for a portable source. It also sounds more organic, more “alive” to me than the robotic output of a Samsung S7, like it was tuned by a human instead of a machine.

May I inquire what headphones or iems you use? What makes you prefer the Axon’s sound?

Yeah I owned the S7 and I can confirm it sounded like crap. lol Both on audio and call quality. The V30 is a thousand times better! :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #3,752 of 6,140
Ok, so I got the UAPP player but I am a bit lost. Too many settings and they don't have any of my earphones listen unfortunately. Can anyone suggest a decent set of settings for that player for lg v30? Because at is stands now I thing I messed it up big time. The original Google play plays clearer on my phone. I tried so many earphones combinations that I got dizzy any tips on how to adjust the settings will be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #3,753 of 6,140
Ok, so I got the UAPP player but I am a bit lost. Too many settings and they don't have any of my earphones listen unfortunately. Can anyone suggest a decent set of settings for that player for lg v30? Because at is stands now I thing I messed it up big time. The original Google play plays clearer on my phone. I tried so many earphones combinations that I got dizzy any tips on how to adjust the settings will be greatly appreciated

For me, no settings sounds best. No EQ, no resampling, no nothing.

I don't know any of your headphones, but maybe the phone is showing some of their limitations rather than the headphones showing any limitations the phone running optimally may have?

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #3,755 of 6,140
I use mostly KZ both the zs6 and the zs10
I also use whizzer A15 which I genuinely love
Today my pioneer se ch9t will come so I will try them as well
I just find the sound of the axon 7 more deep but open at the same time if that makes sense, soundstage feels better and I can hear things more clearly with the axon. I try to have the EQ the same on both but it is difficult as the axon has the DOLBY which I find to be the reason of the up scaling, so I think is more of an software issue rather than the hardware. Axon just gives a 3D sound that I really enjoy, I was expecting something similar from the V30 as well as I loved my V20.
I haven’t heard those iems, they look like good value over-performers. The V30 is proficient enough to scale to higher-end gear (it drives $500+ cans or iems more than fine, at the very least).

From what you write though, I suspect Dolby implementation is indeed the reason for the difference you feel. I remember on my S7 there was a setting for “Live” sound or something similar, which I used for a while as it opened things up and made the dreary jack output more fun - just about tolerable. Ultimately I turned it off because it sounded hollow and fake, like the digital chicanery it was.
But the Axon’s Dolby is probably much better and I’d be curious to hear what it could bring to the V30’s rendering section, which is per se more capable than the Axon’s DAC/amp I’d wager.

Yeah I owned the S7 and I can confirm it sounded like crap. lol Both on audio and call quality. The V30 is a thousand times better! :L3000:
My man!

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #3,757 of 6,140
For me, no settings sounds best. No EQ, no resampling, no nothing.

I don't know any of your headphones, but maybe the phone is showing some of their limitations rather than the headphones showing any limitations the phone running optimally may have?
Maybe you're right. I have the pioneer se CH9T as my daily driver I also use kz zs6 and 10 a lot. I am now saving to get the lz a5 so hopefully the sound will get even better with them.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,758 of 6,140
Sir's,

Plan to buy an iem that can be easily driven by LG v30:
Genre: Rock, and HipHop
Budget: 100$ - 200$

Option 1:
- 50Ω+ impedance iem (for "High Impedance" but i don't have any idea what good brand/model of iem with 50Ω+ impedance) - please recommend around my budget
Option 2:
- iem lower than 50Ω impedance but sounds really good and loud using only the " Aux Mode - Adapter " - please recommend around my budget

thanks a lot in advance.. :)

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,759 of 6,140
Sir's,

Plan to buy an iem that can be easily driven by LG v30:
Genre: Rock, and HipHop
Budget: 100$ - 200$

Option 1:
- 50Ω+ impedance iem (for "High Impedance" but i don't have any idea what good brand/model of iem with 50Ω+ impedance) - please recommend around my budget
Option 2:
- iem lower than 50Ω impedance but sounds really good and loud using only the " Aux Mode - Adapter " - please recommend around my budget

thanks a lot in advance.. :)

First, for standard IEMs I wouldn't generally be too concerned with triggering high impedance mode. Unless you using planar items like the Audeze iSine's it's probably not really needed.

I recently picked a couple of lightly used iBasso items and really like them. The IT01 is a $99 item and the IT03 is above you Target price at $250. But if you can find them used you can keep it within budget.

They both sound pretty good to me and ouch advice their price points. They are elevated in the bass, especially in the sub bass, so if you are into neutral bass they may not be for you. The IT01 in particular has the most bass quantity to my ears and can at times be too much on certain tracks for me, and I like elevated bass. The IT03 is more controlled though still elevated, but in a way I enjoy. I think the IT03 is the better all arounder if you can swing it or find it used.

Outside of that I don't have much expierance in IEMs in that price point. I have a bunch of KZ Noddles including the ATE, ZS3, ZTS, ZS5 & ZS6. and their not that bad for their price points, but I don't really listen to them. Their ok for their price, especially on sale. Yet they just don't excite me like the iBasso's do our my Audeze iSine 10's. Of course the price difference between them is considerable.

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,760 of 6,140

Hey Sebilion,

These are the EQ settings from my main/standard "Magic EQ" (the one labeled "Beyerdynamic DT 1770") that I used on UAPP. I tried to match it up as closely as possible to how the EQ looks on Poweramp. In testing/comparison I think I got it to sound just like how I have it on Poweramp. But on UAPP what's nice is its EQ is parametric (aka fancy term for EQ with the numbers posted, which Poweramp doesn't do which is super lame lol), so much easier to configure/calibrate.

Here you go:

Preamp: -1.7 (that's at top, horizontal)

31: -1.0
63: -1.8
125: -3.0
250: -1.7
500: 0.7
1K: 1.5
2K: 1.8
4K: 2.0
8K: 2.3
16K: 2.6

Let me know if it improves the sound. It should! I've tested it out on SEVERAL headphones now and it always sounds better no No EQ/Flat and/or "Rock" preset. If Bass isn't enough, you can try upping the first 4 EQ bands above, but try to keep them in proportion to how it is above.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #3,761 of 6,140
I haven’t heard those iems, they look like good value over-performers. The V30 is proficient enough to scale to higher-end gear (it drives $500+ cans or iems more than fine, at the very least).

From what you write though, I suspect Dolby implementation is indeed the reason for the difference you feel. I remember on my S7 there was a setting for “Live” sound or something similar, which I used for a while as it opened things up and made the dreary jack output more fun - just about tolerable. Ultimately I turned it off because it sounded hollow and fake, like the digital chicanery it was.
But the Axon’s Dolby is probably much better and I’d be curious to hear what it could bring to the V30’s rendering section, which is per se more capable than the Axon’s DAC/amp I’d wager.

My man!

LOL!

But I wonder if this will make any difference with respect to the recent Samsung phones (all since at least S8 have it). What you think monsieur?

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3,762 of 6,140
LOL!

But I wonder if this will make any difference with respect to the recent Samsung phones (all since at least S8 have it). What you think monsieur?

The S8 and above have improved audio performance relative to the S7. Not LG V20/V30 level but better than most (looking at you Google). I just tried the Adaptive Sound feature on my Note 8 and it did make a noticeable difference. Again not better than my V20 but usable for a phone, for me anyway.

If Audio is your priority the LG Quad DAC is you choice, if other phone features are more of a priority and audio less so the Note 8/9 S8/9 might be a better option. Or you have have both (my preference).

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #3,763 of 6,140
The S8 and above have improved audio performance relative to the S7. Not LG V20/V30 level but better than most (looking at you Google). I just tried the Adaptive Sound feature on my Note 8 and it did make a noticeable difference. Again not better than my V20 but usable for a phone, for me anyway.

If Audio is your priority Audio the LG Quad DAC is you choice, if other phone features are more a priority and audio less so the Note 8/9 S8/9 might be a better option. Or you have have both (my preference).

Very cool! Thanks for checking on AS. Someone on XDA basically just said the EXACT same things you just did too, including your last sentence. lol

Good to know they improved it since S7 cuz I had the S7 and its audio was horrendous. lol

So did AS make it LOUDER and better clarity/sound quality, or just louder? Or no volume change??

Audio is def a HUGE priority (which is why I'm on here lol), so for me the LG phones are best. I just got a modded version of the GCam camera app which the Pixel phones use with the HDR featured unlocked as well (thanks to the mod lol), so that's made pic quality much better.

Now that Samsung owns Harman Kardon (which also owns AKG, among other companies), I like that they are using AKG to tune their phone speakers (S9 and Note 9 anyway) AND offering AKG ear buds and even better on Note 9 the N60 ftw! Adaptive Sound is great too, though not sure AKG had anything to do with it? But what I'm REALLLLYYY waiting for is for Samsung to wise the F up and use AKG to tune their headphone audio output. I'm hoping on Note 9 or else S10 this will FINALLY be the case. Then perhaps my hatred of them will finally die out? LOL (They seemed to have at least fixed the color accuracy issue with screen and photos per recent reviews. Plus their phones looks so much nicer these days vs. S5. lol)

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #3,764 of 6,140
So did AS make it LOUDER and better clarity/sound quality, or just louder? Or no volume change??

Back in the day the Note 4 was considered to be have better audio than most with it's Wolfson DAC, the exynos versions of those phones may still use better third party DAC (I can't remember). The LG G5 and Huawei Nexus 6P had the worst audio I can remember. Google dropping the headphone jack isn't that big a deal to me as the audio was horrid, Bluetooth is an improvement. lol.

Good to seesee Sams and LG are still offering a headphone jack. That alone is reason to keep considering them.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #3,765 of 6,140
Back in the day the Note 4 was considered to be have better audio than most with it's Wolfson DAC, the exynos versions of those phones may still use better third party DAC (I can't remember). The LG G5 and Huawei Nexus 6P had the worst audio I can remember. Google dropping the headphone jack isn't that big a deal to me as the audio was horrid, Bluetooth is an improvement. lol.

Good Samsung and LG arestill offering a headphone jack. That asking is reason to keep considering them.

Yeah without the Quad DAC LG phones' was a joke. lol

Damn I wonder if the newer Exynos chips have the better DAC too?! I should ask around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back