LG V30
Jul 31, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #3,721 of 6,140
A bit of care is needed with the XR though, because at 45Ω, the high impedance mode gets triggered maybe 1 out of 10 times
Thank you . Good to know.
Regarding the sound quality with 4SR/XR, any chance to compare it with some inexpensive DAP to understand the level of SQ?

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #3,722 of 6,140
any chance to compare it with some inexpensive DAP to understand the level of SQ?
Can't help you out there mate. I'm only playing music out of my PC (DFR + Jitterbug), my V30+ and a couple of other mobile devices via DFR. No wait, I also own a Shanling M0, but it uses the same ESS9218+ DAC as the V30+ so there isn't much to say there either, they share a very similar sound signature.

For listening impressions of the XR/SR, you might want to try your luck over at the "official" Ety thread: /https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3,723 of 6,140
I am an amazon price member but never tried their music service - I will have to give it a try. I never thought to try anything that what I already use - uapp in bitperfect mode with 24 bit or dsd music sounds great to me haven't thought to look at anything else

With Prime you'll get the regular music service included...but around Prime Day they offered the more expansive Music Unlimited option for only 99 cents for 4 months. There is certainly a difference in catalog too...see if they still have that available.

And yes...as others have alluded to, the SQ is most impressive. Stream back Phil Collin's pristine 80s album remasterings to see what i mean...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #3,724 of 6,140
Major thanks to everyone who helped n unlocking AUX mode when plugging in headphones. I couldn't seem to get it. Now its so easy.

Just have one jack (L or R) unplugged from the one of the ear cups, then plug the main headphone cable into the device you will be listening from, then finally plug in that cable you left out of the L or R earcup.
Now it's in AUX mode. DL the app LG HiFi Status if you want to see for sure if you're in AUX mode.

Thanks again.

I am now wondering if anyone could answer another question I've been bothered by for a while, regarding MQA.

For months I've been A/B'ing Tidal (Master level quality selected in settings) and Amazon Music Unlimited (Best quality selected in settings) and Amazon is clearly better. Ive dido A/B with many songs. Spotify is my favorite for UI and discovery, but I will often switch to Amazon once I've found something I want to listen to.

I didn't expect to have to do this though when using Tidal. I suspect I may not actually be triggering MQA on my Tidal app, using V30+ and he400i headphones in AUX mode.

I say this because with Amazon there is very clearly more happening on the track and I'm closer, or sitting in the middle of, everything that's happening.

On Tidal, it is unmistakably further away and fewer sounds/ information can be heard.

One thing I notice is that while doing A/B of Tidal and Amazon I constantly need to increase the volume on Tidal to match what I just had on Amazon.
Interesting post! I've found the SQ with Spotify (on various devices) is poor. Poorer than I'd expect, simply by virtue of 320 kbps MP3. It's almost as if Spotify are cutting some other corners to reduce their bandwidth. I'm an Amazon Prime member, but don't have the "ultimate" package. TBH, I'm a bit confused about what that is. Just as a Prime member, Amazon seem to give you access to about half of each artist's catalogue. I guess the other half is the carrot at the end of the stick to make you buy the ultimate package?

In any case, there can be a slight gain shift between some of these music players, which makes it difficult to do a proper A/B, because even if you have an SPL meter handy, but the time you've used it the moment has gone and your short term memory has been flushed. On my V30, I prefer Tidal. Amazon's player has the usual Android mixer re-sampling issue, and since all of its catalogue is 44 kHz, it's potentially going to affect everything if you're using high-sensitivity headphones. I'm using the best quality settings, but maybe they get better still when using an ultimate subscription?!? (Since the app is the same, I'd bet any money you'll still be stuck with the usual re-sampling to 48 kHz though.)

I'd love to give up Tidal, because it's expensive and always in the process of imminently shutting down due to something sketchy. But I've yet to find a streaming service that sounds as good.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #3,725 of 6,140
Interesting post! I've found the SQ with Spotify (on various devices) is poor. Poorer than I'd expect, simply by virtue of 320 kbps MP3. It's almost as if Spotify are cutting some other corners to reduce their bandwidth. I'm an Amazon Prime member, but don't have the "ultimate" package. TBH, I'm a bit confused about what that is. Just as a Prime member, Amazon seem to give you access to about half of each artist's catalogue. I guess the other half is the carrot at the end of the stick to make you buy the ultimate package?

In any case, there can be a slight gain shift between some of these music players, which makes it difficult to do a proper A/B, because even if you have an SPL meter handy, but the time you've used it the moment has gone and your short term memory has been flushed. On my V30, I prefer Tidal. Amazon's player has the usual Android mixer re-sampling issue, and since all of its catalogue is 44 kHz, it's potentially going to affect everything if you're using high-sensitivity headphones. I'm using the best quality settings, but maybe they get better still when using an ultimate subscription?!? (Since the app is the same, I'd bet any money you'll still be stuck with the usual re-sampling to 48 kHz though.)

I'd love to give up Tidal, because it's expensive and always in the process of imminently shutting down due to something sketchy. But I've yet to find a streaming service that sounds as good.
I have found the quality of Deezer to be more full and dynamic to my ears. It is the same price as Spotify.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #3,726 of 6,140
I'd love to give up Tidal, because it's expensive and always in the process of imminently shutting down due to something sketchy

Is it as bad as being a current movie pass subscriber?

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,727 of 6,140
Is it as bad as being a current movie pass subscriber?

No. There haven't been any temporary service shutdowns as far as I can tell.

The reports of it falsifying listen counts, not paying labels on time, and the high turnover rate of high-level execs don't paint it in a good light but, so far, it's consistent and nothing sounds as good for a streaming service.

IF Google ever gets its head out of its ass and provides lossless streaming tho...

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #3,728 of 6,140
I don't know. I don't use EQ with my Beyers. Having a quick look at it, I don't think so.

If it's something you really need, I woyld contact the developer and he'd probably help you out.

Yeah I don't see it.

I gave UAPP a tryout last night. After applying my main EQ as best as I could, I seemed to pretty much get the exact same sound out of it as Poweramp. I really love that it has a parametric EQ AND 100 step volume which only the alpha version of Poweramp currently has, but 2 big negatives to me are the UI and yeah no ability to save custom EQs. The UI thing I hate the most is on the Play screen, there is no direct button to go back to that artist's albums catalog. If you hit Back that's fine, but if I go to EQ to change it which I do frequently, then hitting back just takes me to the EQ screen, so I have to hit back many times in some cases just to get to the albums page. But to complicate things more, until Poweramp finally updates to v3, I can only save my EQs in the official version NOT the alpha version (it saves, but when u go to import them, it won't work).

I have to play with it more, but I guess no matter what I'd not have it be perfect. lol I'm prob just gonna uninstall it and keep Poweramp Alpha 704. I just saw that a BETA update was put out a few mos back, but I'm still waiting on word for v3's official release. I hope it's THIS year, considering it was supposed to come out by New Year's Eve for last year. lol

I will maybe also consider e-mailing the UAPP dev and requesting those features. IF he adds them, I may strongly reconsider UAPP.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #3,729 of 6,140
No. There haven't been any temporary service shutdowns as far as I can tell.

The reports of it falsifying listen counts, not paying labels on time, and the high turnover rate of high-level execs don't paint it in a good light but, so far, it's consistent and nothing sounds as good for a streaming service.

IF Google ever gets its head out of its ass and provides lossless streaming tho...

So what you are saying is...it's "almost" as bad as movie pass. :wink:

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #3,730 of 6,140
Any News on v40

I really love that it has a parametric EQ AND 100 step volume which only the alpha version of Poweramp currently has, but 2 big negatives to me are the UI and yeah no ability to save custom EQs. The UI thing I hate the most is on the Play screen, there is no direct button to go back to that artist's albums catalog. If you hit Back that's fine, but if I go to EQ to change it which I do frequently, then hitting back just takes me to the EQ screen, so I have to hit back many times in some cases just to get to the albums page. But to complicate things more, until Poweramp finally updates to v3, I can only save my EQs in the official version NOT the alpha version (it saves, but when u go to import them, it won't work).

I must be missing something, but I can save EQs and the arrow in the top left corner when on the EQ screen takes me back to the Library with one click. If you don't hit the back arrow ghe app does it automatically after about 10 seconds.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3,731 of 6,140
I must be missing something, but I can save EQs and the arrow in the top left corner when on the EQ screen takes me back to the Library with one click. If you don't hit the back arrow ghe app does it automatically after about 10 seconds.

Yeah I was able to save them. But problem is, if you get a new phone, how do you export them out to new phone? Poweramp solves this by offering an "export settings file" option which exports not only the EQs but all your settings too, then you import that file into Poweramp on new phone and it instantly applies it.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,732 of 6,140
Is the v30 able to drive the Beyer DT 1770 properly? Its 250 ohm right?

Hi Dennis,

Yes it most certainly CAN drive my DT 1770 Pro quite properly actually! Since it's in HIM (High Impedance) mode with these 'phones, it is putting out MAXIMUM volume. Since the custom EQs I use add a bit of volume themselves in the effort to improve the sound, that also helps out as well. But for most songs I don't need to go beyond the 50-80% volume range.

Yes, correct.............250 ohms. Anything past 50 ohms I believe will enable HIM.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #3,733 of 6,140
Hi Dennis,

Yes it most certainly CAN drive my DT 1770 Pro quite properly actually! Since it's in HIM (High Impedance) mode with these 'phones, it is putting out MAXIMUM volume. Since the custom EQs I use add a bit of volume themselves in the effort to improve the sound, that also helps out as well. But for most songs I don't need to go beyond the 50-80% volume range.

Yes, correct.............250 ohms. Anything past 50 ohms I believe will enable HIM.

Wow, indeed interesting. Dont think even my AK320 has enough juice..Will give it a try one day. Thanks man

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #3,735 of 6,140
Well my shiit magna3 and shiit loki just arrived.

Doing some AB testing and I just verified a few things which there seem to be myths about.

1) You can definately get better sound than what a V35 can offer, especially from the bass. And this is without a DAC, just using the onboard DAC from my z370 SLI plus mobo.
2) An external eq is absolutely a must here, I have AB both with and without and there is simply no competition, having the EQ dials handy wins hands down.
3) An HE4xx definately has more bass than most people think. How much base you ask?...Enough to make even the soft pads literally vibrate on your face....I am not joking (how much more bass do you need really).

I can't wait for my 6xx, 58x and Focal elex's to come in.

I also can confirm that the FiiO A5 is a significant upgrade from an A3 and while the A5 plus V35 doesn't sound as good as the desk top system i am building it is more than adequate to walk around mobile running even the 4xx's.

I also just did an AB test of Amazon vs Tidal using the PC (haven't done it on the phone yet) and Tidal sounds ever so slightly more transparent while Amazon sounds ever so slightly muddy, giving the slight edge to Tidal.

That is all.

Edit: I went ahead and AB compared Amazon highest quality downloads to the Tidals and someone above said the Tidal needs the volume turned up to reach the same sound levels,...and I can confirm that. However, once you turn up the volume to matching levels the SQ on the Tidals app is a definite step up from Amazons. If you had underpowered setup (or if i was running it without the A5,) it would just sound lower quiet and underwhelming i think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back