LG V30
Jul 6, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #3,573 of 6,140
I guess people have different experiences depending on perspective. I come from the iPhone 4s to iPhone 5 - Samsung Note 4 to S6 Edge - LG V20 to G6+ and finally to V30+. The V30+ is hands down the best phone I've ever used.

Ergonomically, it easily fits in my hand and feels like a well worn glove; the thin bezels are awesome! The screen real estate is really good as well.

The DAC rivals my DAPs in my signature and listening to Tidal MQA files, it makes me wonder why I have more than one DAP...

The battery is typical one day for me, no better and no worse than other TOTL phones.

Overall, I really enjoy the V30+.

:L3000:

I can tell it's growing on me with the one week experience!

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #3,575 of 6,140
Well that is one thing. But still, Samsung and Apple hold such a tight control over the smartphone market, it makes marketing any other brand of smartphone difficult.

Yeah! Especially Apple! They are making no innovations at all right now! I am more and more tired of Apple now they are just so out of ideas!!

I suggest the next iphone 11 be totally port-less and button-less and reach some 90% screen ratio. That would probably be really cool, and would probably win my respect again. 4 years ago people are basically using the same phones, nothing (special) changed in Apple products!

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,577 of 6,140
Microsoft Launcher was the unexpected hero for me on the V30. ...

Speaking/typing of launchers & Microsoft.

I came back to the Android platform after leaving it (HTC One M8) years ago in favour of Windows Mobile. I think Microsoft & Nokia W10M devices were the best in the field, especially the Lumia 930 and 950XL. But due to Microsoft's waning support of their own platform I returned to Android by way of the V20 and now have the V30. The only thing lacking and uninspiring for me is the Android GUI. I missed the Windows tiles.

I did try Microsoft Launcher and it is indeed a very good GUI. But it lacks the tile look of the W10M OS. After trying others like Nova, Evie, Smart Home, I landed on the spectacular SquareHome 2 Launcher. It's as close to the W10M I can get. And for icons I like the simplicity of Whicons which provides a clean look, imo.

Screenshot_2018-07-06-07-00-23.png

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #3,578 of 6,140
My dt 770 - 80 just arrived.

Nive V shape sound as i like, but overall is easy to get a bit disappointed after reading what people say about those. Still, a good purchase for sure.

I'm trying the Neutron player but i find the UI very messy and ugly... Which players can i use to take full advantage of my 24 / 96 library?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #3,580 of 6,140
Nahh, it's not defective. May just not be the most optimal settings. I have bad pics come out sometime too. This brand new review (posted this morning) of the V30S ThinQ (which we V30 ppl now have the same camera software too thanks to update) details how although phones by like Sony or in this case the S9+ have seemingly better cameras overall (I favor Sony the most), the V30 still in most cases competes well and in some cases even outdoes the S9+. In another review from late last year of the V30 vs. the S8, the V30 beat out the S8 in a picture comparison of the Berlin skyline (one right below giraffes) where the Samsung phone had poor color accuracy.

Here are my main camera settings for you to try:

Mode: Auto
HDR: Auto
Camera Resolution: 18:9, 8.7MP (4160x2080)
Video Resolution: FHD 18:9 (2160x1080)
Flash: Auto Flash

Selfie cam:

Mode: Auto
Selfie shot: Auto (takes a pic when it sees a face or eyes; makes it easier IMO)
Camera Resolution: 18:9, 3.3MP (2560x1280)
Video Resolution: FHD, 16:9 (1920x1080)
Flash: On
Note: Tap on 3 circle ("Olympics") icon in center, and choose "Bright" (max strength). I find that the selfies on the V30 tend to come out a bit dark, so this fixes that ftw.

Yeah the battery life on the V30 is INSANE, even without (but esp with) Battery Saver. I rarely use it though. And yeah the power of the Quad DAC and its amp are fantastic! Well I tried the V20 and it was like equal from what I remember, and the other one I had right before the V30 was the HTC 10, which I felt matched the V20 and $300 Oppo HA-2 as well. But since phones went "18:9" last year, I didn't feel the need to stick to smaller flagship phones anymore since with 18:9 phones like the V30 you get more screen but less body, which is awesome. That was the main reason why I chose the HTC 10 over the V20 very early last year. (Note: There are other phones with great DACs on them too, though not sure if they have AS powerful amps............Sony Xperia phones, Huawei phones like the Mate 10, and the ZTE Axon 7, which my friend has. But the Axon 7 doesn't have great battery life per my friend.)

Yeah forget AI mode on the V30. I feel it's too buggy, so until they improve, I just leave it off. Manual mode is cool too but I think if u try my settings u hopefully won't feel you need it anymore.

Yeah I know what u mean. UNLESS you have really great lighting when you take a pic on the V30, from my experience, you will get some grain when you zoom in. But yeah when lighting is very good, it tends to have more detail. Hopefully the V40 will improve upon this. Rumor is it will have FIVE cameras and a 3D face unlock too! haha I doubt I'll be upgrading though. Maybe for the V50? lol We'll see.

Thanks very much man. Will try your camera settings here this weekend.

If I can get this damned camera to take better pictures, this would be one beast of a device.

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,581 of 6,140
My dt 770 - 80 just arrived.

Nive V shape sound as i like, but overall is easy to get a bit disappointed after reading what people say about those. Still, a good purchase for sure.

I'm trying the Neutron player but i find the UI very messy and ugly... Which players can i use to take full advantage of my 24 / 96 library?

What bad things are ppl saying about the DT-770-80? For the price it's supposed to be really great from what I've seen overall.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #3,583 of 6,140

I came back to the Android platform after leaving it (HTC One M8) years ago in favour of Windows Mobile. I think Microsoft & Nokia W10M devices were the best in the field, especially the Lumia 930 and 950XL. But due to Microsoft's waning support of their own platform I returned to Android by way of the V20 and now have the V30. The only thing lacking and uninspiring for me is the Android GUI. I missed the Windows tiles.

I did try Microsoft Launcher and it is indeed a very good GUI. But it lacks the tile look of the W10M OS. After trying others like Nova, Evie, Smart Home, I landed on the spectacular SquareHome 2 Launcher. It's as close to the W10M I can get. And for icons I like the simplicity of Whicons which provides a clean look, imo.

Awesome stuff. Thanks much!

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #3,585 of 6,140

big windows phone fan here too
thanks for the suggestion
i downloaded it to my motoplay and will do the same to my LG V30
The original was the best UI in my opinion too bad MS gave up on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back