LG V30
May 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3,272 of 6,140
Yeah, don't see how these can be used as a portable with the Cipher cable. Even with the V20, which I assume is pretty much the same as the V30, I listen between 73 and 75 (75 being Max volume). Even at max some times I'd like more volume. With my desktop gear it can sound pretty good , but I have turn the volume knob further than my other planars, except for maybe one.... maybe.

But the V20 is very satisfactory all things considered. Biggest problem with the V20 is the horrid batter life when you actually is the damn thing. It tarrible with battery life and using the Quad DAC just makes it worse. So I V30 whatever LG puts out in the coming month might be the route to take.

Now that I've spent almost a week with them, I can appreciate them more. Especially on good gear with power. Not sure I'd call them great. At $250 for my refurbished pair I might just keep them. At $360ish to $450ish on ebay I'm not so sure. At regular price, hell no!
I think the EL-8 Ti are pretty underrated at the closeout prices. They are very clean compared to the other cans I have, which are mostly dark and rolled off on highs. Listening to classical and jazz in particular is fantastic with them, though I am liking just about everything with them. I can easily drive them with my iBL and XD-05, which are both portable-ish dac/amps. With either bass boost engaged, I get plenty of bass for my preferences, definitely not basshead levels, but I'm not so sure they wouldn't perform well for that if EQ'd for it. As for driving them from my V30, unless I want to drive them to ear-bleeding levels (for me anyway), tricking the phone into aux or high impedance mode with an adapter gives them enough power for me. If I want more power, I'll use one of the aforementioned units or my desktop setup. They are definitely not the best portable solution, but for a very comfortable (for me) somewhat portable full sized over ear can with a different sound than any of my other gear, they are exactly what I wanted. Listening at my desk loudly without bothering anybody is heaven.

The V30 has much better battery life than the V20 from what I've heard (I never owned it), especially when using the dac/amp. I'm satisfied with mine when listening to music.

May 23, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #3,273 of 6,140
True and an option, but I rather not have to deal with such a bulky proposition.

Then again the V20 is probably the last phone with a removable battery. Still a new more modern device is tempting.
I ended up ordering a large extended battery after all. At least until I get a newer LG Quad DAC phone or an Android based DAP for portable use.

The rumored V35 heading to AT&T might be an option, but I'm afraid the price will be more than I'm willing to pay, though it will likely drop sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3,274 of 6,140
after five days with my v30, i'm a convert--it really is (by the widest margin conceivable) the best sounding phone i've heard, though it's essential to get it in external or high impedance mode. ergo, my home is full of little adapters, which my wife keeps throwing out. as a phone, it's just okay--more bloatware than htc + i still find the volume levels for calls too low--but, damnit, it sounds great. battery life is better than advertised thus far.

May 23, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,275 of 6,140
And yes, I've heard the V30, my friend has one. I won't buy it because I'm used to far superior screens of Samsung and that's the most important part of a smart phone to me personally, since I get my audiophile kick out of dedicated hi fi sources and the screen on the LG30 after an S8+ or the Note 8 is mediocre at best. I hope you weren't offended by my response, I apologize in advance if it was too harsh.
Man..sorry but it really sounds like u never had a chance to listen to this phone.. I actually have two dedicated DAPs: iBasso DX80 and Pioneer XDP-300R and bought V30 two weeks ago. I own Pinnacle P1 and Bang Olufsen H6. As far as Pinnacle turn the higher gain on (50 Ohms), I had to do the trick with cable with H6 (32 Ohms or something) which works perfectly. Now, using over ear H6 on a higher gain from V30, here are my perceptions about the sound:

V30 vs DX80: iBasso has just A LITTLE BIT better separation, the bass kicks bit harder. V30 has clearly wider soundstage (wich is already good in DX80). In terms of detail reproduction they are really really close (maybe with a 5% DX80 advantage).

V30 vs XDP-300R from single: there are more differences when it comes to sophistication of the sound. XDP is bit more refined, not as showy as V30 which has more fun-like sound tunning. But V30 has better energy (XDP is more relaxed and elegant from se).

Now important note:
all the differences are really small, and noticeble when u listen to these devices really carefully.
One thing really impressed me: its a soundstage of V30. Is really big, bigger than in mentioned DAPs.

So, to sum up: V30 is something to have, and it leads a balanced fight against dedicated DAPs from price range 400-700 USD.
Maybe u listened it when the gain was set on low gain, what happens when u have iems or headphones below 50 Ohms. Then the sound is noticeable weaker. But when u get on higher gain, man, it sounds..

May 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,276 of 6,140
after five days with my v30, i'm a convert--it really is (by the widest margin conceivable) the best sounding phone i've heard, though it's essential to get it in external or high impedance mode. ergo, my home is full of little adapters, which my wife keeps throwing out. as a phone, it's just okay--more bloatware than htc + i still find the volume levels for calls too low--but, damnit, it sounds great. battery life is better than advertised thus far.

What do you mean by external mode?

May 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #3,277 of 6,140
What do you mean by external mode?
from what i infer, there are three hifi modes, normal audio devise (which has the lowest output), external audio device (which is triggered when you plug in an adapter or other external audio device and provides a higher output) and a high impedance mode (which is triggered when you connect a device with >50 ohm impedance and provides the highest output).

May 25, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #3,278 of 6,140
Does anybody here have a dragonfly red and an LG V30 ? Is there any discernible difference between difference between the sound quality and max power output of the two ? Any other reasons for preferring the dragonfly red above V30 ?

May 25, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #3,279 of 6,140
Does anybody here have a dragonfly red and an LG V30 ? Is there any discernible difference between difference between the sound quality and max power output of the two ? Any other reasons for preferring the dragonfly red above V30 ?
Short answer: no discernible difference.

I believe the max output power for both has been quoted as a respectable 2V. Will do for just about anything south of planars. Cans up to 300 ohm impedance have been satisfactorily driven by both. 600 ohm is possible in theory but I don’t have any to test. Anyway keeping a little amplification headroom is advisable as it helps keep things nicely under control.
The sound quality is on par, with the V30 renowned for its soundstage and the DF Red for its energy and body.

For mobile use I can’t think of any reason to prefer the Dragonfly aside from personal acoustic quirks, and even those can be equalized away. You dispense with a lot of issues by relying on a single device. My DFR, originally bought for mobile use, is now plugged at the back of my PC at home and not seeing much sunshine. It drives my Final Audio cans like a beast mind you, and for some use cases (ie with a nomadic laptop) remains a recommended buy.

May 25, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #3,280 of 6,140
from what i infer, there are three hifi modes, normal audio devise (which has the lowest output), external audio device (which is triggered when you plug in an adapter or other external audio device and provides a higher output) and a high impedance mode (which is triggered when you connect a device with >50 ohm impedance and provides the highest output).

How can you tell which mode are you in?

May 25, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #3,281 of 6,140
Just got the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm (Chrome edition) and the V30 is driving them just fine.

It's not as loud as I usually like to listen to music, but then again, I shouldn't listen to music as loud as I usually do.

I'm still tempted to get the 250ohm ones and pick which one I like better.

I see a lot of you guys have the 250 ones, can you tell me what you like about them with the V30?

Thanks!

May 25, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,282 of 6,140
OK, update. Yesterday i did again A/B comparison- my V30 vs xdp-300r. And have bought pioneer dap. This is an amazing device with great soundstage and beautiful sound tunning.V30 is quite close- it does have very good detail, wide soundstage and exciting dynamics, but- for the smartphone. When u compare it to for example high quality dap, it loses. I really like the sound of v30 but could not stand a muddiness in lower mid and mid bass. There is something wrong going on there. Pioneer is crystal clear, and the instrument separation is soo great. And it isnt even burned in, just have for 1,5 day.

May 25, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #3,283 of 6,140
OK, update. Yesterday i did again A/B comparison- my V30 vs xdp-300r. And have bought pioneer dap. This is an amazing device with great soundstage and beautiful sound tunning.V30 is quite close- it does have very good detail, wide soundstage and exciting dynamics, but- for the smartphone. When u compare it to for example high quality dap, it loses. I really like the sound of v30 but could not stand a muddiness in lower mid and mid bass. There is something wrong going on there. Pioneer is crystal clear, and the instrument separation is soo great. And it isnt even burned in, just have for 1,5 day.
What was the format of the test tracks you used in your comparison and which music app were you using on the V30?

May 25, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #3,285 of 6,140
What was the format of the test tracks you used in your comparison and which music app were you using on the V30?
Hi, i was using my sd card with dsd files, hi res audio flacs and mp3, just randomly. But it was hard to do an A/B test doing it, so later played some music on yt. Mainly the witcher 3 soundtrack. pat metheny, the foals etc. Stock lg player (not google player) and on pioneer stock player as well. I was trying to check every possible format i have. In each case, pioneer was a clear winner. But I still think LG sounds pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back