LG V30
May 21, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #3,256 of 6,140
it's 4 pin (see photo below) and it is really strange. i just went on amazon and ordered different adapters (conceivably it's a quirk of some particular plug manufacturer)--my OCD is gonna keep acting up until I solve this.
TRRS adapters don't work reliably. You need a TRS adapter.

May 21, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,258 of 6,140
it's 4 pin (see photo below) and it is really strange. i just went on amazon and ordered different adapters (conceivably it's a quirk of some particular plug manufacturer)--my OCD is gonna keep acting up until I solve this.
try the 3 pin. i have no issues

May 21, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #3,259 of 6,140
BTW, the EL-8 Titanium sounds great with this phone with an adapter. I'm surprised more people don't like these, especially since the closeout prices have been really good. Perfect work desk combo.

Also, since getting oreo, does anyone else not get the message telling which mode the DAC goes to on an AT&T V30? Sorry if it's been discussed, I haven't been keeping up with the thread much.

May 21, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #3,260 of 6,140
May 21, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #3,261 of 6,140
May 21, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,262 of 6,140
After discovering the LG potential and buying my first V-series last month, it is interesting and frustrating to see that LG is promoting quad-dac more and more: They just announced the Q7+ today, a midrange phone that will also have the audio capabilities of the LG G7. Goddammit...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/21/17376086/lg-q7-midrange-android-phone

Anyone already had a chance to compare G7 with the V30? Particulary interested in the 3D effect, if it adds to sound quality...

May 21, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3,263 of 6,140
For me a top smartphone with sabre, high resolution,128 gb memory, etc. for 550€ is a really big deal

May 21, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #3,265 of 6,140
BTW, the EL-8 Titanium sounds great with this phone with an adapter. I'm surprised more people don't like these, especially since the closeout prices have been really good. Perfect work desk combo.

Also, since getting oreo, does anyone else not get the message telling which mode the DAC goes to on an AT&T V30? Sorry if it's been discussed, I haven't been keeping up with the thread much.
I recently Got an EL-8 Titanium and was about to return it. I found the bass too lean and lacking a bit of "excitement". I found the Cipher cable to sound the same, lean and flat sounding, I slo found the Cipher cable didn't give me enough volume. With my desktop gear it can sound pretty decent if I give it plenty of power. With some power it starts to come to life.

Tricking my LG V20 into High Impedance mode at or near max volume seemed to give the EL-8 Ti just enough juice to make them sound pretty decent. Now I'm considering keeping the EL-8 Ti and picking up a V30 or G7 (or the upcoming V35/V40) in the near future. It's up in the air if I'll keep the EL-8 Ti, a few days back I was 99% sure they where going back.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,266 of 6,140
I recently Got an EL-8 Titanium and was about to return it. I found the bass too lean and lacking a bit of "excitement". I found the Cipher cable to sound the same, lean and flat sounding, I slo found the Cipher cable didn't give me enough volume. With my desktop gear it can sound pretty decent if I give it plenty of power. With some power it starts to come to life.

Tricking my LG V20 into High Impedance mode at or near max volume seemed to give the EL-8 Ti just enough juice to make them sound pretty decent. Now I'm considering keeping the EL-8 Ti and picking up a V30 or G7 (or the upcoming V35/V40) in the near future. It's up in the air if I'll keep the EL-8 Ti, a few days back I was 99% sure they where going back.
It sounds great 65 and above. Great cans for isolation. I can listen next to my wife in bed without waking her up. I agree, the cipher cable sucks.

May 22, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #3,267 of 6,140
It sounds great 65 and above. Great cans for isolation. I can listen next to my wife in bed without waking her up. I agree, the cipher cable sucks.

Yeah, don't see how these can be used as a portable with the Cipher cable. Even with the V20, which I assume is pretty much the same as the V30, I listen between 73 and 75 (75 being Max volume). Even at max some times I'd like more volume. With my desktop gear it can sound pretty good , but I have turn the volume knob further than my other planars, except for maybe one.... maybe.

But the V20 is very satisfactory all things considered. Biggest problem with the V20 is the horrid batter life when you actually is the damn thing. It tarrible with battery life and using the Quad DAC just makes it worse. So I V30 whatever LG puts out in the coming month might be the route to take.

Now that I've spent almost a week with them, I can appreciate them more. Especially on good gear with power. Not sure I'd call them great. At $250 for my refurbished pair I might just keep them. At $360ish to $450ish on ebay I'm not so sure. At regular price, hell no!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back