LG V30
May 20, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #3,241 of 6,140
If you're using LG's default music player, you don't need the impedance plug.

I use these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3pc...870.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dfRvWQy

Plug one onto the jack before plugging in the headphone/ earphone. You will get into "External Device" mode and play low sensitivity headphones with low impedance ratings quite well.

Caveat : It may not work with all third party music players though from what I gathered.

May 20, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3,242 of 6,140
i appreciate the response--i use many, many different iems, generally ranging from 16-32ohm. I'm generally aware of the adapter trick to get it into high impedance--should i use a regular 3.5mm extension cable and a 75ohm impedance plug? can you send me a link for same?

The impedance is one thing, we also need the sensitivity rating for the IEM/headphone that is not loud enough usually quoted in db/v.

Every IEM and headphone I've tried on my V30 has been plenty loud enough, so either you have something not set-up right, a faulty V30 or you like your music volumes dangerously loud. :)

May 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3,244 of 6,140
Every IEM and headphone I've tried on my V30 has been plenty loud enough, so either you have something not set-up right, a faulty V30 or you like your music volumes dangerously loud. :)

Try plugging a Planar Magnetic such as a Hifiman or a Aeon Flow ( Closed or Open). They are sub 32 Ohms and pretty low sensitivity / efficiency. Maxing out the 75 point volume will still be fairly pedestrian volumes.

The " external device " mode is more or less mandatory with them.

May 20, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,245 of 6,140
Try plugging a Planar Magnetic such as a Hifiman or a Aeon Flow ( Closed or Open). They are sub 32 Ohms and pretty low sensitivity / efficiency. Maxing out the 75 point volume will still be fairly pedestrian volumes.

The " external device " mode is more or less mandatory with them.

I don't doubt that, the only planar magnetic headphone I have is the PM-3, having a quoted sensitivity of 102 dB its OK with the V30.

May 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,246 of 6,140
The impedance is one thing, we also need the sensitivity rating for the IEM/headphone that is not loud enough usually quoted in db/v.

thanks, steve. my ears are admittedly not what they used to be, but i have not had this problem with my htc m10--for instance, as i speak i'm using senn momentum in-ears, which are very efficient/sensitive at 108 ohm and 118 db, and i really need to crank up the v30, esp. when the quad dac feature is activated. mucho frustrating.

May 20, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3,247 of 6,140
thanks, steve. my ears are admittedly not what they used to be, but i have not had this problem with my htc m10--for instance, as i speak i'm using senn momentum in-ears, which are very efficient/sensitive at 108 ohm and 118 db, and i really need to crank up the v30, esp. when the quad dac feature is activated. mucho frustrating.

I'm getting on a bit in years too :), but I suppose I'm lucky, despite abusing my ears when I was a teenager with some very loud multi-amp 3000W plus in car sound systems I can still hear OK.

Don't rule out the possibility that your V30 may be faulty, I do notice a higher volume when using UAPP streaming Tidal vs the Tidal App though.

I've never tried the Momentum IEM but I have several other IEM's, the Soundmagic E80C triggers the high impedance mode (64 ohm) on V30 and for me also gets plenty loud enough with its 102 dB quoted sensitivity.

May 20, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #3,248 of 6,140
If you're using LG's default music player, you don't need the impedance plug.

I use these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3pc...870.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dfRvWQy

Plug one onto the jack before plugging in the headphone/ earphone. You will get into "External Device" mode and play low sensitivity headphones with low impedance ratings quite well.

Caveat : It may not work with all third party music players though from what I gathered.

thank you, sir. i tried a right-angle 3.5mm plug and it worked like a charm for streaming spotify (curiously, a straight 3.5mm m-to-f plug i had didn't work)--stupid question, but will a short (6") m to f cable work as well?.
i tried the v30 with my koss ksc75s (60 ohm), which apparently triggered the higher impedance mode and it sounded great at moderate volumes. correspondingly, the v30 was (to my apparently failing ears) simply inadequate to power all my lower impedance phones.
all that said, i gotta decide whether to return the thing and go back to my htc or to bite the bullet and futz with external plugs and/or higher impedance phones. admittedly not as pressing a quandry as, say, gun violence or the ebola outbreak, but still a quandry.
thanks again for your feedback.

May 20, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #3,249 of 6,140
thank you, sir. i tried a right-angle 3.5mm plug and it worked like a charm for streaming spotify (curiously, a straight 3.5mm m-to-f plug i had didn't work)--stupid question, but will a short (6") m to f cable work as well?.

i tried the v30 with my koss ksc75s (60 ohm), which apparently triggered the higher impedance mode and it sounded great at moderate volumes. correspondingly, the v30 was (to my apparently failing ears) simply inadequate to power all my lower impedance phones.
all that said, i gotta decide whether to return the thing and go back to my htc or to bite the bullet and futz with external plugs and/or higher impedance phones. admittedly not as pressing a quandry as, say, gun violence or the ebola outbreak, but still a quandry.
thanks again for your feedback.

Hey there Loomis.
I think you've got a bad apple. If possible try to exchange it.

Two reasons: I drive my iems at vol level level 55 (ish) out of 75 and it sounds moderately loud and definitely not veiled (Tidal via UAPP); second - all adapters male to female should trigger external mode (intermediate gain level) if plugged in first. If your m-t-f is not faulty (your call) then it must be something screwy with your unit.
If you like how it performs with higher impedance phones when it triggers correct gain mode then hang on to it and exchange it for another chance.
Good luck buddy.

May 20, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #3,250 of 6,140

As long as the adaptor is inserted first without connecting to the headphone/ earphone, it will work correctly. I suspect you muffed the sequence in the latter.

May 21, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #3,251 of 6,140
Hey there Loomis.
I think you've got a bad apple. If possible try to exchange it.

Two reasons: I drive my iems at vol level level 55 (ish) out of 75 and it sounds moderately loud and definitely not veiled (Tidal via UAPP); second - all adapters male to female should trigger external mode (intermediate gain level) if plugged in first. If your m-t-f is not faulty (your call) then it must be something screwy with your unit.
If you like how it performs with higher impedance phones when it triggers correct gain mode then hang on to it and exchange it for another chance.
Good luck buddy.
So after further screwing around, here's what I found:
1. For whatever screwy reason using a straight 3.5mm m to f adapter plug doesn't trigger the external mode (i tried several different plugs which otherwise work correctly). However, all of my m to f adapter cables trigger the external mode. Per Adide, it's conceivably a defect in my phone--I'll test out another phone at the Sprint store.
2. When in external mode the phone is in fact a magnificent music player--exponentially richer and better than the (very capable) htc m10.
3. The continuing quandary is whether I want to lug around an adapter cable and go through the insertion sequence all the time (those precious seconds add up in the twilight of my existence). I'll probably suck it up and do so, but you would think there would be a better way to enable the higher gain without rooting.
All that said, I really appreciate all the help--have a great week, y'all.

May 21, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #3,252 of 6,140
So after further screwing around, here's what I found:
1. For whatever screwy reason using a straight 3.5mm m to f adapter plug doesn't trigger the external mode (i tried several different plugs which otherwise work correctly). However, all of my m to f adapter cables trigger the external mode. Per Adide, it's conceivably a defect in my phone--I'll test out another phone at the Sprint store.

All that said, I really appreciate all the help--have a great week, y'all.
really strange because the adapter m to f is the same thing of the cable. your adapter is 3 or 4 pin?

May 21, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #3,253 of 6,140
really strange because the adapter m to f is the same thing of the cable. your adapter is 3 or 4 pin?
it's 4 pin (see photo below) and it is really strange. i just went on amazon and ordered different adapters (conceivably it's a quirk of some particular plug manufacturer)--my OCD is gonna keep acting up until I solve this.

Attachments

• 20180521_081910.jpg
    20180521_081910.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back