LG V30
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #2,806 of 6,140
No. Don't have kit to measure. I'm personally not bothered about forcing modes as I'm perfectly happy with how it works with auto detect.

I agree it is only needed if you have low sensitivity headphones that are also low impedance such as the Isines.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #2,807 of 6,140
Mar 19, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2,810 of 6,140
Does someone use this with the IEMatch?
I haven't used it, but I'm thinking it could be useful as users may normally decrease the phones digital volume in aux mode. The device is supposed to replace the digital dynamic range lost by attenuating the volume, and enabling the volume to be raised to maximum. That's the theory anyway. It's supposed to eliminate noise too.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2,811 of 6,140
Using a 75 ohm adapter in series with a low impedance headphone such as the Isines will gain you positively nothing at all. What you need is a normal stereo adapter along with a resistor pack soldered to an 1/8th inch plug to trick it into high impedance mode or a high impedance headphone (anything over 50ohms will work) then you plug both into the headphone jack of the V30 or V20 if you have that as it will work with that phone as well then once it registers high impedance mode you can pull the 75 ohm load without pulling the adapter out of the phone & plug your Isine into the adapter that is still plugged into the phone. As long as the adapter remains in the phone it will stay in high impedance mode. If you don't or can't get a high impedance headphone or resistor set to do this you can simply plug in a normal 1/8 stereo adapter with nothing plugged into it then after the phone register aux mode you can plug in the Isines to the adapter & you will have gained 6db in output which may be sufficient.

Almost forgot to mention that what ever you are using to obtain high impedance mode MUST BE PLUGGED INTO THE ADAPTER WHEN YOU PLUG THE ADAPTER INTO THE PHONE then removed from the adapter after the adapter is plugged into the phone otherwise you will only get aux mode. To get Aux mode you want to plug in the stereo adapter by itself to the phone first then plug the headphones into the adapter after the adapter is plugged into the phone

I've done the AUX mode trick since I first had the V20. I do that now with the V30. Was doing the High Impedance trick with my Pinnacle P1s and a 3.5mm male-to-female adapter to use my iSines.

Problem now is, I've found out, that my 3.5mm male-to-female adapter has a TRRS plug, so when the impedance adapter is removed (which doesn't have a TRRS plug), the phone thinks the adapter has been removed altogether and reverts back to AUX mode.

(I used the P1s with the mic cable, but since I had to have it replaced due to one side going out, it no longer does that. Using the other, high end, cable does trigger High Impedance mode as well but because it doesn't have a TRRS plug, the same thing explained above happens.)

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,812 of 6,140
Hugo 2 better but not like 20% better.

Dont have H2 to compare side by side to the V30 now, but just that sensation of listening to music in person rather than recorded. Think its more to do with less digital reconstruction, more analogue/musical presentation/spacing/timing rather than specifics about lows/mids/highs. Improvement not worth the money for me.
Wow, so i heard a lot of people saying Hugo 2 is better than sony wm1z which costs $3,000. I would assume v30 is as good or better than wm1z. Good being a generic term of course.

Do you listen to v30 in normal or sharp mode? Or which eq settings?

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #2,813 of 6,140
I haven't used it, but I'm thinking it could be useful as users may normally decrease the phones digital volume in aux mode. The device is supposed to replace the digital dynamic range lost by attenuating the volume, and enabling the volume to be raised to maximum. That's the theory anyway. It's supposed to eliminate noise too.

I would like to note that the 9218P chip used in the LG V30 has an analog volume control built in, however I don't know if LG actually makes use of it though I believe they do. You could still get noise from the analog amp following the DAC however. The reason I believe they do use the analog volume control is that the DAC provides many more volume steps than any android device that I know of. That is over 3X as many + provides a balance control. Granted this is not proof that they are using the analog volume but a strong hint that they are.

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #2,814 of 6,140
Wow, so i heard a lot of people saying Hugo 2 is better than sony wm1z which costs $3,000. I would assume v30 is as good or better than wm1z. Good being a generic term of course.

Do you listen to v30 in normal or sharp mode? Or which eq settings?

You've got to realise that in this hobby once you get to a certain level improvements are slight and its not always down to price but can be down to four things:

1. Individuals hearing & preference (plus listening experience)
  2. Synergy to other equipment your using, primarily the ear/headphone put also source, amp (if any extra) and app/software. Also a bit down to cables if you can hear the difference.
  3. Reviewer Bias due to bribery or vested interest.
  4. Emperors new cloths phenomenon/Buyers guilt/fantasies; bragging rights.

Get number 4 out of the way first: Many people will believe something sounds better or made an improvement if they buy something expensive, Its human nature. Many people like to brag/show off especially when it comes to how much money they can justify spending on a leisure item, Its human nature.

Now get 3 out of the way. Read lots of reviews from a variety of sources, especially normal people who have bought or tried the equipment or reviewers who are known not to exaggerate or have bias.

With these out of the way its 1 & 2 that determine the sound quality and why you will likely see conflicting opinions. This is where trying the equipment yourself is the only true test.

No, the V30 is not better than a Hugo 2 and only the individual listener could judge for themselves if the improvement is worth 3.5 times the cost for just a DAC/AMP , the Hugo 2 will still drive more demanding headphones better.

Not sure on the wm1z as never tried one. Nearest I came to that was a ZX300 where many who own both the 1A & ZX300 say they sound nearly identical. I'd say the V30 is as good as the ZX300 and better than the X5III/ZX2 I previously had and in some respects better than the Mojo (sound stage and no electrical interference). Nearest to the V30 is Dragonfly Red but again V30 is better with DSD.

I never listen to anything with EQ. I'm happy with Auto so with my SE846's it defaults to "Normal" and with my HD660S default to "High".

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #2,815 of 6,140
Does someone use this with the IEMatch?

You missed my post one page back. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v30.858933/page-187#post-14114132

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2,816 of 6,140
@psikey The other main function of the iematch is to create a more appropriate output impedance for sensitive earphones coming out of devices like smartphones, which may have output impedances that are too high. I'm assuming you're not really noticing a more natural tonality out of your iems using the iematch like it's supposed to do?

I bought it primarily because the SE846's are sensitive to hiss with many sources. I couldn't use the S8 phone without the IEMatch as background hiss increased compared to the S7.
Only devices I've ever had that has no or tiny hiss with my SE846's is the iPhones before they took the headphone port away, the ZX300 over balanced and with the V30 its so minimal its as good as silent.

I could say the IEMatch improves Dynamics but that could be down to the totally black background it creates. If so, its very slight. Not needed at all with the V30+ with my SE846's. Only if listening to soft classical in a totally silent room.

If you want high-end class audio with both sensitive IEM's and most headphones without all the fuss of stacking phones/DAPs/AMP's/DACS's with various custom cables plus also having a single smartphone that's nearly as good as the S8/S9 then get the V30+.

I have no regrets getting the V30+, moving from an S8 and only kit I kept was my Dragonfly Red for its convenience as a battery-less DAC/AMP that works great with PC (and smartphone).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #2,818 of 6,140
Here is a curious question, especially from someone who has owned this phone for 5 months, but bear with me......

Do you notice a night and day difference between the dac being turned on and off?

It seems I can't. Out of curiosity I turned it off this morning just to remind myself of the difference, and blow me if I can tell the difference.
I remember there also used to be a sizable increase in volume when using the dac, I assume due to the that also using the better amp, but that volume change no longer appears to happen.

Don't get me wrong, it still sounds good, but it has me questioning if there is a problem, is is sounding as good as it should? Or are my ears knackered?!

I'm using Senheiser momentum's with the neutron player and all my music is from original cd's ripped to flac.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #2,819 of 6,140
Here is a curious question, especially from someone who has owned this phone for 5 months, but bear with me......

Do you notice a night and day difference between the dac being turned on and off?

It seems I can't. Out of curiosity I turned it off this morning just to remind myself of the difference, and blow me if I can tell the difference.
I remember there also used to be a sizable increase in volume when using the dac, I assume due to the that also using the better amp, but that volume change no longer appears to happen.

Don't get me wrong, it still sounds good, but it has me questioning if there is a problem, is is sounding as good as it should? Or are my ears knackered?!

I'm using Senheiser momentum's with the neutron player and all my music is from original cd's ripped to flac.
same impression at the first time and no big differencies with my old smartphone(a simple huawei p8 lite). only with prolonged listening, i appreciate the dac.
the differences are not night and day but now, after many years, i learned that all that glitters is not all gold

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #2,820 of 6,140

Here's my assessment of the V30 with DAC on and off versus my DX200 with amp3. I'm listening on 3 types of phones (Noble Savant, JH Roxanne ii and ZMF Ori).

V30 with DAC off sounds good on the Savant and Roxanne but can't run the ZMF Ori
V30 with DAC on sounds better (more sparkle and bass response seems better) on the Savant and Roxanne, but still doesn't have enough juice to drive the ZMF Ori.

Savant and Roxanne sound amazing on the DX200, but it still doesn't drive the Ori the way I want on amp1 (missing balanced cables for Ori).

In conclusion, the DAC does make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back