LG V30
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #2,836 of 6,140
They are not hard to drive, actually, pretty good for 70mm drivers and how they sound. Way easier than Send HD660s and Hifiman Sundara, my other 2 headphones. V30 is enough, just not loud enough for me, I just listen louder I guess. How can I tell if the V30 is outputting in High or Aux mode as you said ?
Also, can you root your device? If so you can get it much louder without sacrificing quality.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #2,837 of 6,140
went to settings-sound there is no option for music. Please see video link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twtce1h381dgrue/WhatsApp Video 2018-03-21 at 18.27.39.mp4?dl=0

Also, I output master quality from 3,5 jack of the LG V30 straight into the Sony DAC 3.5" input and the DAC reports that the sound is not Hi-fs. However when I output from my desktop tidal via USB, the DAC reports it is Hi-fs. Does this mean LG V30 can not output master quality via 3,5" jack ? If that is the case, then what is the point of Tidal app on LG v30 supporting MQA ?

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,839 of 6,140
They are not hard to drive, actually, pretty good for 70mm drivers and how they sound. Way easier than Send HD660s and Hifiman Sundara, my other 2 headphones. V30 is enough, just not loud enough for me, I just listen louder I guess. How can I tell if the V30 is outputting in High or Aux mode as you said ?

Not all V30's show it, my V30+ doesn't but there is a cheap app called "Hi-Fi Status (LG)" that will.

My Dragonfly Red outputs correctly with UAPP (and Neuton) but others get scalled to 44kHz I believe using a USB DAC. If your external DAC does MQA then streaming Tidal with UAPP app will pass through MQA to a DAC like the Meridian (not DFR as not a full MQA DAC).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,840 of 6,140
Thanks. This app shows the impedance of a connected headphone / earphone. Whether it is above or below 50 ohms.
I still dont get one thing : If Tidal for LG V30 has MQA support now, the 3.5" output should carry that signal, irrespective of whether that is directly connected to your headphones or to a DAC. When my DAC is connected to Tidal Desktop on Mac, the Hi-f LED lights up, which indicates it is receiving a signal which is high than 16-bit/44.1Khz. Master songs on Tidal should be up to 24-bit/192kHz. So basically to me it seems like the Mac Desktop Tidal is sending through higher resolution audio, but via LG V30, despite it showing as Master, the audio is not of higher quality than their Hi-Fi quality. Is this a limitation of the 3,5" jack on the V30 ? Just dont understand what is the point of MQA/Master support on LG V30 in Tidal when the audio out from 3.5" jack is NOT higher than 16-bit/44.1Khz

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,841 of 6,140
@psikey The other main function of the iematch is to create a more appropriate output impedance for sensitive earphones coming out of devices like smartphones, which may have output impedances that are too high. I'm assuming you're not really noticing a more natural tonality out of your iems using the iematch like it's supposed to do?

I'm not 100% sure that's correct. The iematch is just a couple of resistors - one in series and one in parallel, so that the amp output sees a more consistent (~16 Ohm) impedance load. When I say "consistent", I mean it won't vary as much with frequency - but it still has to vary a bit. The main aim (and claim) of the iematch is to get a more usable volume range from your amp and to reduce the noise floor. The "consistency" in that new impedance load will, however, mean that your FR isn't quite the same as it would have been direct from a high output-impedance amp.

It's still a useful device for those (like me) that have sensitive IEMs and amps that hiss. However, the V30 has one of the blackest backgrounds I've ever heard. There's no reason (at least that I can think of) to use an iematch with the V30.

Apologies if this has been asked before - tidal app on V30 got MQA support. But when I play their master songs, my dac (Sony PHA-3AC) does not light up the Hi-f (which happens for songs with higher than 44Khz or 16-bit). However when I connect the dac to my macbook and stream masters from the desktop tidal application, the Hi-f led lights up, like it should. I think Tidal added MQA in the app for LG v30 but did not support it when using USB-C output?

You're going to want to use UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). This will pass the MQA file directly through to your external DAC. Even the current Playstore version will work in this regard. (The dev version that many of us have been testing adds playback of MQA through the internal DAC, but if you're passing it through to an external DAC, you don't need that.)

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,842 of 6,140
I still dont get one thing : If Tidal for LG V30 has MQA support now, the 3.5" output should carry that signal, irrespective of whether that is directly connected to your headphones or to a DAC. When my DAC is connected to Tidal Desktop on Mac, the Hi-f LED lights up, which indicates it is receiving a signal which is high than 16-bit/44.1Khz. Master songs on Tidal should be up to 24-bit/192kHz. So basically to me it seems like the Mac Desktop Tidal is sending through higher resolution audio, but via LG V30, despite it showing as Master, the audio is not of higher quality than their Hi-Fi quality. Is this a limitation of the 3,5" jack on the V30 ? Just dont understand what is the point of MQA/Master support on LG V30 in Tidal when the audio out from 3.5" jack is NOT higher than 16-bit/44.1Khz

Tidal (and most V30 apps) don't necessarily send bit-perfect data out via USB (most don't). All MQA files are 24 bit, and that's a huge advantage for the V30, because the V30's internal quad DAC can playback 24-bit files without re-sampling. That's really the only advantage you're going to get with MQA. Yes, in theory, MQA can contain higher-frequency content and the V30's 3.5mm out will contain that information if it's in the MQA file to begin with, but the vast majority of MQA files I've tested contain almost nothing over 22 kHz anyway. Here's that nice quote from Stereophile: "Paying for MQA is like hiring someone to rob you." :wink:

I posted this link a few pages back. It's interesting reading for those that are worried about their little blue "Master" LED not lighting up:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-of-controversies-concerns-and-cautions-r701/

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,845 of 6,140
I'm not 100% sure that's correct. The iematch is just a couple of resistors - one in series and one in parallel, so that the amp output sees a more consistent (~16 Ohm) impedance load. When I say "consistent", I mean it won't vary as much with frequency - but it still has to vary a bit. The main aim (and claim) of the iematch is to get a more usable volume range from your amp and to reduce the noise floor. The "consistency" in that new impedance load will, however, mean that your FR isn't quite the same as it would have been direct from a high output-impedance amp.

It's still a useful device for those (like me) that have sensitive IEMs and amps that hiss. However, the V30 has one of the blackest backgrounds I've ever heard. There's no reason (at least that I can think of) to use an iematch with the V30.

You're going to want to use UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). This will pass the MQA file directly through to your external DAC. Even the current Playstore version will work in this regard. (The dev version that many of us have been testing adds playback of MQA through the internal DAC, but if you're passing it through to an external DAC, you don't need that.)
Thanks. Can you tell me how I can get the. Apk for the Dev version as I don't have a MQA certified Dac and want the V30 built in Dac to handle MQA (tidal) and output via usb..

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,846 of 6,140
Thanks. Can you tell me how I can get the. Apk for the Dev version as I don't have a MQA certified Dac and want the V30 built in Dac to handle MQA (tidal) and output via usb..

If you want output via USB, you don't need the dev version. Just grab UAPP from the Playstore.

If you want output via the internal DAC and 3.5 mm HO, then you'll need to contact the UAPP dev. As beta testers, we've been asked not to share these apks, but you could try asking the dev nicely?...

P.S. In either case, if you don't have an MQA-capable DAC, all you'll be exporting via USB is 44/24 FLAC.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #2,849 of 6,140
The last 3 days I've used the V30 with Aurisonics 2.5 and these 2 pair great together.

I use UAPP with Tidal streaming on it. Just wow. This combo works better than the Dx200 on amp1. For some reason the DX200 just doesn't pair well with the Aurisonics 2.5.

V30 has plenty of power to drive these (41ohms).

Waiting for 2pin balanced cables to test with amp3. This combo might be better than the V30.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,850 of 6,140
The last 3 days I've used the V30 with Aurisonics 2.5 and these 2 pair great together.

I use UAPP with Tidal streaming on it. Just wow. This combo works better than the Dx200 on amp1. For some reason the DX200 just doesn't pair well with the Aurisonics 2.5.

V30 has plenty of power to drive these (41ohms).

Waiting for 2pin balanced cables to test with amp3. This combo might be better than the V30.

Ah...you are lucky enough to have picked these up before they sold to Fender and completely changed line-up :frowning2: They are a fortune now if you can even find. Is the bass on these really as impressive as they tout--what else have you compared the SQ to?

They are a bit too low ohms to drive in high-impedance mode by default but the V30 can do them justice in regular power mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back