LG V30
Mar 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #2,866 of 6,140
Yep...specifically just got this reply to an email i sent...I particularly like the second answer :) Good things right around the corner....

Dear Scott,

Thank you for contacting us. Next week we will release version 4 which includes support for DoP, MQA decoding and HiRes playback without resampling on the V30.

It also reads DSD files much faster, without hiccups.

Kind regards,

Davy

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,868 of 6,140
Here's my assessment of the V30 with DAC on and off versus my DX200 with amp3. I'm listening on 3 types of phones (Noble Savant, JH Roxanne ii and ZMF Ori).

V30 with DAC off sounds good on the Savant and Roxanne but can't run the ZMF Ori
V30 with DAC on sounds better (more sparkle and bass response seems better) on the Savant and Roxanne, but still doesn't have enough juice to drive the ZMF Ori.

Savant and Roxanne sound amazing on the DX200, but it still doesn't drive the Ori the way I want on amp1 (missing balanced cables for Ori).

In conclusion, the DAC does make a difference.

I think you mean “the *amp* does make a difference.” It’s basically universally accepted that a DAC can’t make that much of an audible difference. It’s the impedance marching with the source and how clean the amplification chain/source is.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,869 of 6,140
I think you mean “the *amp* does make a difference.” It’s basically universally accepted that a DAC can’t make that much of an audible difference. It’s the impedance marching with the source and how clean the amplification chain/source is.

The DAC & amp in this case is integrated & can not be separated. DAC's can make a difference but it is usually small. Some of the codecs used in computers for years were quite poor sounding compared to separate soundcards & DAC's. Now days the difference is quite small but still important especially if you have good speakers & amps. Most desktop computer speakers need not apply, they are just too lousy to faithfully reproduce anything.

Remember that you can never exceed the quality of the source so it pays to pony up on your source to get any kind of quality from your amp & speakers. You can always improve your amps & speakers once you have a good source. Typical desktop speakers will never give you quality sound no matter how good the source & you will probably not be able to tell the difference between a quality source & an old AC97 computer codec with them but it still pays to upgrade your source first if you plan on upgrading your speakers & amps as well later.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #2,873 of 6,140
Some one please explain how UAPP works with the V30 DAC. I thought one purpose of UAPP was to bypass crappy internal DACs on phones. So it can also use the internal DAC of the V30 but bypass the other resampling/processing?

I'm getting a tube amp to play with along with my HD650s and want to use the V30 as a source.

If using UAPP will work better with an external amp, please tell me exactly how to use it.

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #2,874 of 6,140
Some one please explain how UAPP works with the V30 DAC. I thought one purpose of UAPP was to bypass crappy internal DACs on phones. So it can also use the internal DAC of the V30 but bypass the other resampling/processing?

I'm getting a tube amp to play with along with my HD650s and want to use the V30 as a source.

If using UAPP will work better with an external amp, please tell me exactly how to use it.

Thanks.
UAPP has a bit perfect output option via USB. Oops, just realised this has nothing to do with the topic. Sorry.
So, with regard to the v30, of course the quad dac is used, but I'm not sure if UAPP is better than the stock app, or any others, in utilising it.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #2,875 of 6,140
The problem using it as source is that it's hasn't a true line out. With another amp your're "double amping". The result may be just fine, try it, of course.

There is a new blog entry about the high res driver in UAPP web:

http://extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver

For the LG V30 it should work without touching anything

HIRES DRIVER FLAGS AND FORMAT OPTIONS
For 'known' devices, UAPP sets the HiRes format and flags accordingly when these two settings are set to 'Auto'. For 'unknown' devices, UAPP parses the file /system/etc/audio_policy.conf on your device and tries to assess if your device has a direct (or offload) mode and, if found, sets the format and flags according to the appropriate section of that file when 'Auto' is selected. If that does not work, you can experiment with the other non-auto options.

But when app starts for the first time a windows says MQA flag should be enabled for MQA files. So I guess only that flag has to be selected.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #2,876 of 6,140

Thanks.
Now uapp bypass android drivers. So uapp uses directly the dac in bit perfect mode(i presume)

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,878 of 6,140
Mar 26, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,880 of 6,140
Capture+_2018-03-26-21-08-22.png
Been waiting for this for awhile...off to a good start w/ this screen. The demo has been updated too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back