LG V30
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #2,716 of 6,140
I use the isine 10 and hifiman edition x v2 with my LG V30 - I trick the phone into high impediance mode for these 2. it depends on what headphones you are using, normal mode which is what it goes to automatically is not enough for these planars

also why would you put the HD660s into aux mode - by default it would be in high mode

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #2,717 of 6,140
I've forced AUX on my HD660S and even my SE846's. Sounds no better and just leave on auto. The SE846's sound worse via Aux as you hear background hiss and can only listen at under 30 on volume or destroy your hearing :)
So this brings up the question I have. Is Aux a true preamp line out signal unmolested by the phones internal amplifier? Seams it might be if you are reporting it sounded very bad and loud.

If so this will open up opportunities to run an external amplifier and not double amp the signal through the V30 amp first.

Is this possibly happening with the V30 in Aux mode? A non amplified higher voltage line out signal straight form the DAC?

I ask this because I'd love to use my V30 as a source unit for a tube amp for my HD650 instead of complicating things and getting a Fiio X7 or something similar. I know it technically can be done, but aren't their sacrifices in sound quality by double aping a signal?

Keep in mind I ask this being a bit naive when it comes to this. Is this even remotely possible for a cell phone. That the volume is now adjusting the "gain" from the DACs vs adjusting the amplifier output because the signal doesn't even go through the amp anymore in "Aux" mode.

Basically does Aux mode turn our V30 into a preamp? I'd like to not have to get a piece of hardware like an X7 that has a preamp line out signal but I would if my V30 would be a step down in sound quality.

Then I remember reading that preamp signals aren't all the same. Some are weaker like mic level hence the need for a preamp to cleanly boost the signal to a level the amp can use without amplifying the noise floor. So does the V30 output a true preamp signal but it's too low of an output to cleanly amplify if you are looking for quality sound in a higher end home rig. But it's good enough for plugging into the "Aux" port of your Honda?

If anything I've said above is mindblowingly stupid, my apologies. Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2,718 of 6,140
So this brings up the question I have. Is Aux a true preamp line out signal unmolested by the phones internal amplifier? Seams it might be if you are reporting it sounded very bad and loud.

If so this will open up opportunities to run an external amplifier and not double amp the signal through the V30 amp first.

Is this possibly happening with the V30 in Aux mode? A non amplified higher voltage line out signal straight form the DAC?

I ask this because I'd love to use my V30 as a source unit for a tube amp for my HD650 instead of complicating things and getting a Fiio X7 or something similar. I know it technically can be done, but aren't their sacrifices in sound quality by double aping a signal?

Keep in mind I ask this being a bit naive when it comes to this. Is this even remotely possible for a cell phone. That the volume is now adjusting the "gain" from the DACs vs adjusting the amplifier output because the signal doesn't even go through the amp anymore in "Aux" mode.

Basically does Aux mode turn our V30 into a preamp? I'd like to not have to get a piece of hardware like an X7 that has a preamp line out signal but I would if my V30 would be a step down in sound quality.

Then I remember reading that preamp signals aren't all the same. Some are weaker like mic level hence the need for a preamp to cleanly boost the signal to a level the amp can use without amplifying the noise floor. So does the V30 output a true preamp signal but it's too low of an output to cleanly amplify if you are looking for quality sound in a higher end home rig. But it's good enough for plugging into the "Aux" port of your Honda?

If anything I've said above is mindblowingly stupid, my apologies. Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this.

Yes, you can use the V30 as a preamp by connecting it to a power amp and using it's volume control. It will be in aux mode so it will deliver the right amount of voltage at the max volume level. There's no way to bypass the V30 amp, but you don't have to worry about double amping or anything like that. The V30 puts out a pristine signal, so there's no issue. I have frequently connected it to very high end amps and been pleasantly surprised at the sound quality.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,720 of 6,140
Since nobody answered this question, I'll give my $0.02's worth - and that maybe all it's worth... :wink:

It's complicated and subjective, but very roughly, I'd say X5iii < LG V30 < X7ii. Here's why...

The X5iii is cute, but has a bit of a hissy, noisy amp. SQ compared with the V30 is a wash - reasonably comparable on higher-impedance headphones, but both are going to have issues with higher-sensitivity/low-impedance IEMs, because the V30 has re-sampling issues with most apps which affect 44/16 (i.e., most) music files, while the X5iii has a high noise floor, some weird circuit noise and poor RFI shielding. There are ways to avoid the re-sampling on the V30; there's no way to avoid the noisy amp on the X5iii. The X7ii is probably my favorite DAP right now, at any price. It has no re-sampling issues, an output impedance comparable to that of the V30 (~1.2 Ohm) and a reasonably quiet noise floor (though not as quiet as that of the V30). There's not much to fault the X7ii, except, well, if somebody really wants to play Devil's advocate... its software and UI aren't as slick as that of the V30's, you have to anticipate a few little glitches and of course you've got to carry another device around with you.

There's arguably another device to consider here, which is the original X7. That has to be the absolute bargain DAP right now, considering you can find a used X7 for less than a new X5iii.
There are a few more features in the X7ii, but if you can manage with a single 400 Gb microSD card and if you never use TOSLINK, the X7 has several advantages over the X7ii beyond just the price. It has an accelerometer (which was dumped in the X7ii), potentially longer battery life, and in terms of audio specs, it surprisingly beats the X7ii in most categories. For example: lower z-out, higher dynamic range, support for higher sample rates and bit depths, lower THD+N and higher output power. Check out the following comparisons from FiiO's own website:

http://fiio.net/en/products/71/comparisons
is toslink a big deal?

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,721 of 6,140
After a little over a year my V20 has gotten really bad with screen ghosting/retention. If I'm on a screen with anything bright and static for more than a minute, you can see the ghost image for at least another minute or 2.

Since the deductible was almost as much as the payoff, I decided to just go with a new V30. I wont go into the issues I've had with that phone right now, but I'm probably swapping it for a Galaxy s9+ and buying an iDSD Nano BL to go with it.

However, if you're worried about the screen burn, new V30s come with a certificate that will let you extend your warranty for a second year.

Go to: LGV30promise.com
going on my 2nd year with v20. No problems. I replaced a battery, but I bought it used anyway.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #2,722 of 6,140
There's arguably another device to consider here, which is the original X7. That has to be the absolute bargain DAP right now, considering you can find a used X7 for less than a new X5iii.

Just one more note about the Fiio X7. I do believe (along with the
red-headed stepchild Calyx M) this device uses a *full-size* desktop
version ESS Sabre 9018 (what was in the Oppo 105 line)--and that's what
helps attribute to it's more robust sound.

As for Tidal...I have the new version where i can choose "master" in the
options, but can someone point me to a track that is MQA-encoded? I don't
see that referenced "M" on the screen--just some tracks with an "E" next to
them which i'm not sure what that means either. Does anyone know?
anything with Jayz new album.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,723 of 6,140
Since nobody answered this question, I'll give my $0.02's worth - and that maybe all it's worth... :wink:

It's complicated and subjective, but very roughly, I'd say X5iii < LG V30 < X7ii. Here's why...

The X5iii is cute, but has a bit of a hissy, noisy amp. SQ compared with the V30 is a wash - reasonably comparable on higher-impedance headphones, but both are going to have issues with higher-sensitivity/low-impedance IEMs, because the V30 has re-sampling issues with most apps which affect 44/16 (i.e., most) music files, while the X5iii has a high noise floor, some weird circuit noise and poor RFI shielding. There are ways to avoid the re-sampling on the V30; there's no way to avoid the noisy amp on the X5iii. The X7ii is probably my favorite DAP right now, at any price. It has no re-sampling issues, an output impedance comparable to that of the V30 (~1.2 Ohm) and a reasonably quiet noise floor (though not as quiet as that of the V30). There's not much to fault the X7ii, except, well, if somebody really wants to play Devil's advocate... its software and UI aren't as slick as that of the V30's, you have to anticipate a few little glitches and of course you've got to carry another device around with you.

There are a few more features in the X7ii, but if you can manage with a single 400 Gb microSD card and if you never use TOSLINK, the X7 has several advantages over the X7ii beyond just the price. It has an accelerometer (which was dumped in the X7ii), potentially longer battery life, and in terms of audio specs, it surprisingly beats the X7ii in most categories. For example: lower z-out, higher dynamic range, support for higher sample rates and bit depths, lower THD+N and higher output power. Check out the following comparisons from FiiO's own website:

http://fiio.net/en/products/71/comparisons
So in practice, which sounds better x7 or x7 mark 2? or v30?

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,724 of 6,140
I just purchased a set of 1More E1010 Quad Driver IEMs for $130.00 shipped.
I was wondering if anyone here have any experience with them...especially paired with the LG V30.
I've read and watched several reviews and almost all praise the audio that these produce...Z Reviews can't be wrong about these!

I know that they are only 32 ohms impedance and I would probably do the "AUX" mode trick.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Meh... they all depend on what you're comparing them to. They sound very artificial to me, but they are good if you're not comparing them to quality high end iem. Your not doing the v30 justice with them imo. You can't beat e70 under $1,000.

With v30 you're in another league.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #2,725 of 6,140
Meh... they all depend on what you're comparing them to. They sound very artificial to me, but they are good if you're not comparing them to quality high end iem. Your not doing the v30 justice with them imo. You can't beat e70 under $1,000.

With v30 you're in another league.

Thanks for your opinion.
Audio-Technica e70's are going for $400 which are excellent IEM's for the $$$, but still 3 times the cost isn't quite a comparison.
For $130, I'm not too concerned...just was wondering how they are.

I have other headphones that are better fit for the V30, but want to try the 1More Quads.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #2,726 of 6,140
i had the ibasso dx-200 considered one of best daps in the market.
about funcionality, the v30 wins hands down. about sound, the dx-200 is more refined and returns more detalis but the difference is not great. the dx-200 can drives large headphones without problems due to voltage output(3v s.e., 6v balanced). personally i prefere the v30, also considering the price paied(575€ for V30+)

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #2,727 of 6,140
All correct. I record it on my PC's creative x-fi. Just one detail: RMAA generates a standard test tone to be played on the device under test, and then compares the recorded playback with its master test file to build its statistics on sonic performance. It really is a 5-click process.

HiFi DAC is always-on, except to test its performance against Qualcom's standard DAC. By sonic performance I mean RMAA's figures on noise, dynamic range, crosstalk etc..
Concerning the frequency response I directly look at the curve. Strangely RMAA's recorded performance on that one is unreliable. I validated this also with pink noise playback at 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz. And frequency response-wise the result was the same as in RMAA's curve, except than strangely RMAA's can classify as good performance a freq resp curve rolled off at 15 kHz, which produces a nasty audible alteration in music playback.
To wrap-up, both for cases with Hi-Fi DAC on and off, ideally frequency response curve shall be flat. If it isn't, in my opinion there is a problem.

The description is code named as player used on android-test file encoding format for playback.

Anyway all this could possibly have been caused by resampling. So the fact that V30 seems to be free from these problem, might mean that resampling issue has been fixed.
But I leave this topic clarification to you lucky V30 owners .
Very, very interesting. So this could mean for instance that with V30 one could now use the Tidal app and enjoy 16/44.1 music without upsampling. Is this then due to Oreo update or something? Can someone verify this?

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #2,729 of 6,140
i had the ibasso dx-200 considered one of best daps in the market.
about funcionality, the v30 wins hands down. about sound, the dx-200 is more refined and returns more detalis but the difference is not great. the dx-200 can drives large headphones without problems due to voltage output(3v s.e., 6v balanced). personally i prefere the v30, also considering the price paied(575€ for V30+)
Does the dx200 have the black background like v30?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back